Bare Minerals

g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
I just ordered this. I bought this b4 but I felt it enhanced the fine lines on my face. I'm giving it a try again becuz my guro, RedCatWaves uses it. :lol: I also ordered the eyeshadow. I wish they had lipsticks, becuz I can't find that perfect color.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls

Comments

• fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I've about given up on Bare Minerals. I do love the concealer like no other, but almost all of their blushes, all-over colors, and eye shadows have sparkly stuff in it that not only emphasized the lines I do have but creates the illusion of more. No matter how much I buff.

And I also get tired of the mess the stuff makes in my makeup drawer/bags. I'm careful but the powders seems to get everywhere.

I thought they made lipsticks? I could swear I had one that came in some kit, but I didn't like it -- it was dry. Maybe I imagined it.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm giving it a try again becuz my guro, RedCatWaves uses it.

I don't use the Bare Minerals brand (too expensive and too shiny of a finish for me)...but I do use mineral makeup exclusively. I tend to use the women-owned small-business mineral makeups. These are my favorites, but I own MMU from many others too...I'm an addict:

Meowcosmetics.com
    LumiereCosmetics.com
    BareFacedMinerals.com
    LauressCosmetics.com

The trick to wearing mineral makeup and not having it enhance wrinkles, is to get the skin in really good shape and use a moisturizer before applying. I also use a bit of a silicone-based "primer" before putting it on, which keeps it from settling into lines. I get compliments just about every day on my skin, and while my skin is in good shape for my age, it's really the makeup that gives me the perfect-looking finish. The best primer I've found is not a primer at all, but rather an anti-chafing product, found in the feminine hygiene section of the grocery store...nice and cheap and works great for under makeup: http://www.soothingcare.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    The best primer I've found is not a primer at all, but rather an anti-chafing product, found in the feminine hygiene section of the grocery store...nice and cheap and works great for under makeup: http://www.soothingcare.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm
    That is too funny! :lol: I never in a million years would have dreamed of putting this on my face, but I'm going to try it! I've never used a primer, but have often thought it might help my makeup plight. I don't really like wearing face makeup; I don't like the way it feels and I also like being able to splash cool water on my face in the middle of the day when I'm at work as a "pick me up". Makeup kind of screws that up. But thanks for the tip, I'm going to see how it works for me.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    QVC sells the Bare Escentuals lipstick:
    http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

I haven't tried her lipsticks but they have good customer feedback on QVC.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    VTmom wrote:
    The best primer I've found is not a primer at all, but rather an anti-chafing product, found in the feminine hygiene section of the grocery store...nice and cheap and works great for under makeup: http://www.soothingcare.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm
    That is too funny! :lol: I never in a million years would have dreamed of putting this on my face, but I'm going to try it! I've never used a primer, but have often thought it might help my makeup plight. I don't really like wearing face makeup; I don't like the way it feels and I also like being able to splash cool water on my face in the middle of the day when I'm at work as a "pick me up". Makeup kind of screws that up. But thanks for the tip, I'm going to see how it works for me.

I'd have never thought of that either.

I've never tried using primer under my mineral makeup. Even though BE and other mineral makeup companies sell primer, I always sorta felt that primer defeated the purpose of mineral makeup -- you know, to let your skin breath and to not be putting chemicals all over your face, etc. (though I wonder about the "naturalness" of some of the mineral makeups, including BE.) If you use primer, why not just use liquid foundation?

I do mostly use BE, but I'm finding I like that meowcosmetics and will probably get that next.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    My daughter told me today that she went in to Sephora to buy the Bare Minerals & was advised not to. The sales lady said they have so many returns because the product settles into the pores and wrinkles. :( I'll try it once I receive it & if it doesn't work out then I can return it. What a bummer. I'm really trying to find a good makeup line. The eyeshadows I've tried accentuate the lines on my upper eye lids. I can't find the right lip color for me & foundation is impossible. No wonder older women just give up.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    My daughter told me today that she went in to Sephora to buy the Bare Minerals & was advised not to. The sales lady said they have so many returns because the product settles into the pores and wrinkles.
    Hmmm...that's surprising to hear. This is QVC's best selling makeup line.

Overall I like their foundation but I found that Physician's Formula works well for me too. And I like that PF also comes in a pressed format so it's easy to take in the purse.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
    I like Loreal's mineral makeup so much better than BE's. It's not as sparkly and gives me better coverage with less product.

Loreal also has a glow mineral powder and a finishing mineral powder that's like BE's Mineral Veil.

Also, in October Loreal will be introducing mineral eye shadows.

It's often on sale at Walgreens for $9.99 or BOGO free.
    If you use primer, why not just use liquid foundation?

I only put the primer in my trouble spots...a bit across my forehead where I have fine lines, on my nose and the inner cheeks where I have large pores, and a bit on my upper eyelids to keep my eyeshadow from creasing. I only use a TEEEEEEEENY bit too, less is more with the silicone primer products. It makes the mineral makeup go on so smoothly and keeps it from settling in any lines or pores.
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    The eyeshadows I've tried accentuate the lines on my upper eye lids. I can't find the right lip color for me & foundation is impossible. No wonder older women just give up.
    I hear ya sista!! I'm right there with you!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    My daughter told me today that she went in to Sephora to buy the Bare Minerals & was advised not to. The sales lady said they have so many returns because the product settles into the pores and wrinkles. :( I'll try it once I receive it & if it doesn't work out then I can return it. What a bummer. I'm really trying to find a good makeup line. The eyeshadows I've tried accentuate the lines on my upper eye lids. I can't find the right lip color for me & foundation is impossible. No wonder older women just give up.

I like BE. I'm surprised they advised her not to buy it. Go figure.

Have you tried the Paula's choice shadows? I know alot of folks don't like Paula, but I like her eye shadow. It's matte and goes on rather sheer, but enough color that it can still give you good definition & contour. I can't really compare it to expensive brands, as I have never spent too much money on cosmetics (for the most part). I have mostly used drug store brands and I don't think I have found any drugstore brand eye shadows that I really care for on a day-in & day-out basis. Most all have some kind of sparkle and settle in my crease.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    I have the primer that RedCatWaves recommended, so I will try that with the makeup when it comes in. I've also used Paul's Choice eyeshadow & I like it. I ran out & didn't reorder, like I should have. I thought it would be easier to go to the drugstore. If the bare minerals don't work out then I will go back to Paula's Choice. I'll keep you ladies posted. :D
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Registered Users Posts: 1,048

It really really does. Believe her. A few years ago, I ordered the bare minerals kit off of QVC, tried it a couple of times, and then took it straight back to the post office. My pores looked like craters, and it emphasized fine lines I didn't even know I had :cry:

Other mineral makeup lines that I have tried have been better, but I decided that loose powder makeup is just too messy.
    I was just emailed that my order was shipped. I emailed back the complaints I have heard & to except my order to be coming back. :twisted:
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • reenireeni Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I really like the BE . If you use too much it settles in the lines, but if you do the swirl,tap thing it's fine.
    And using a big puffy brush to finish helps too.

I got a video with mine, and watched it to learn how to use the stuff.
    What a WONDERFUL day!!
    Customer service emailed me back saying their product minimizes pores & wrinkles & they will give me advice on how to use it if I need it. Hopefully, I'll get a video. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work for me then I may need a liquid foundation rec.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • rosannarosannadannarosannarosannadanna Registered Users Posts: 109
    Good luck with the BE. I hated mine, same as everyone else complained about, especially around the mouth and under my eyes. I even used Smashbox's primer underneath, didn't help. Had the video too, did the tap and swirl. Tried a couple of times, finally gave up.

Maybe I should put it up on the Swap boards?!
    :wink:
    "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Our goals should be health (and) stamina." - Emme Aronson

3A short inverted bob, auburn with red highlights colored hair
    Fine, but lots of it

Yes to Cucumbers Color Care shampoo and conditioner, AOMMJ, KCCC, CJCIAB, CJRP, CJBCLI, CJCR.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I'm giving it a try again becuz my guro, RedCatWaves uses it.

I don't use the Bare Minerals brand (too expensive and too shiny of a finish for me)...but I do use mineral makeup exclusively. I tend to use the women-owned small-business mineral makeups. These are my favorites, but I own MMU from many others too...I'm an addict:

Meowcosmetics.com
    LumiereCosmetics.com
    BareFacedMinerals.com
    LauressCosmetics.com

The trick to wearing mineral makeup and not having it enhance wrinkles, is to get the skin in really good shape and use a moisturizer before applying. I also use a bit of a silicone-based "primer" before putting it on, which keeps it from settling into lines. I get compliments just about every day on my skin, and while my skin is in good shape for my age, it's really the makeup that gives me the perfect-looking finish. The best primer I've found is not a primer at all, but rather an anti-chafing product, found in the feminine hygiene section of the grocery store...nice and cheap and works great for under makeup: http://www.soothingcare.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm

I use the Barefaced MM based on RCW's recommendation and I really like it. I used to use Jane Iredale (but I used the pressed powder), and I like this better. I kind of wonder if I would have like the Iredale better if I had used the loose powder. Oh well, I'm happy with the Barefaced. Of course with all the raves lately for meowcosmetics, I would like to try that too.

I was in Wal-Mart today and almost picked this up, but resisted. Wish I could find a small travel-sized bottle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Brio wrote:

I was in Wal-Mart today and almost picked this up, but resisted. Wish I could find a small travel-sized bottle.

Were you looking at the right thing? It should be a tube, not a bottle...and it's only $5-$6 for a tube that will last for years, so it's not a big investment.
    Brio wrote:

Were you looking at the right thing? It should be a tube, not a bottle...and it's only $5-$6 for a tube that will last for years, so it's not a big investment.

yeah, that was it. I just don't need one more thing on my makeup table! (I still might end up going back & getting, anyway. :twisted: )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I got my products in last night. I was too tired to view the video. I used them this morning, just swirling and tapping like I knew what I was doing. It turned out pretty good. I like how natural the color is. It didn't settle into my lines as bad this go around. Maybe becuz I have a new beauty routine. I may view the video later. I worked a very late night so I'll see how I feel after my bath.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    Brio wrote:
    Brio wrote:

yeah, that was it. I just don't need one more thing on my makeup table! (I still might end up going back & getting, anyway. :twisted: )
    And I did! Amazingly lightweight.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

As for the shininess of bare minerals, I've discovered that the moisturizer I use underneath makes a big difference. When I use my Olay Definity, the BE is much shiner than when I use my Ice Elements.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I got my products in last night. I was too tired to view the video. I used them this morning, just swirling and tapping like I knew what I was doing. It turned out pretty good. I like how natural the color is. It didn't settle into my lines as bad this go around. Maybe becuz I have a new beauty routine. I may view the video later. I worked a very late night so I'll see how I feel after my bath.

still liking?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I'm still liking it. I've been experimenting each time I use it & I find it looks best when I use less. I was using too much of the foundation. I was trying to get all the coverage from that not keeping in mind that I was also putting the Clear Radiance & Mineral Veil over it. I don't find it looks shiny at all & it looks very natural. Now if I can just find the perfect lipstick. I have 8 tubes of lipstick & I don't like any of them.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Registered Users Posts: 727
    I am 51 and use Bare Minerals exclusively for everything - foundation, under eyeconcealer,shadow, eyeliner.

I absolutely love it and get compliments on my skin all the time. If it accumulates in your wrinkles you are using way, way too much and/or not using the brush properly. You just need the smallest speck in the cover, swirl the brush and tap, tap tap. That's all you need for your entire face.

It seems expensive, but you use so little that it last a long time. I've been using for two years and have only finished one foundation and one eyeshadow container.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
    I am 51 and use Bare Minerals exclusively for everything - foundation, under eyeconcealer,shadow, eyeliner.

I absolutely love it and get compliments on my skin all the time. If it accumulates in your wrinkles you are using way, way too much and/or not using the brush properly. You just need the smallest speck in the cover, swirl the brush and tap, tap tap. That's all you need for your entire face.

It seems expensive, but you use so little that it last a long time. I've been using for two years and have only finished one foundation and one eyeshadow container.

I know what you mean about lasting a long time. I purchased a full-sized container from Sephora a year ago, and I still have probably over 1/2 of it, if not more. I've just recently tried the eyeshadow & blush. I got a set from QVC when they had a BE kit special value. I like those, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I'm still liking it. I've been experimenting each time I use it & I find it looks best when I use less. I was using too much of the foundation. I was trying to get all the coverage from that not keeping in mind that I was also putting the Clear Radiance & Mineral Veil over it. I don't find it looks shiny at all & it looks very natural. Now if I can just find the perfect lipstick. I have 8 tubes of lipstick & I don't like any of them.

Only 8 tubes???? :toothy7: You need to catch up with the pack.

I haven't tried the clear radiance. I'd like to, though. I've got the warmth. It came in a set I got a long time ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I really like the Clear Radiance. I use it like a blush. It's very subtle but gives me some color on my cheeks. So, I'm not the only one having lipstick problems. I have very fair skin & the lipsticks are either too dark or too light. Too glossy or too matte. I'm considering going without & just using chapstick.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file