Sleek and Simple wedding hair

adia425adia425 Posts: 12Registered Users
I was instructed by the bride that hair for her wedding should be "sleek and simple with no goldilock curls and no complicated updos". Unfortunately, our friendship has been strained since she asked me to participate in the wedding (as a flower girl) and the only time I communicate with her anymore is to see what I can or can't do. So it seems as though I'm just trying to be difficult.

My question is is a coil out sleek and simple or goldilock like
[url]http://missjessies.com/coil-out101.htm. [/url] ? It's all so subjective. The bride is 3a and when I hear sleek, from someone with that hair texture, I think straight. I know I should ask her first, just wanted to get some opinions from others. Thanks!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I don't think that's sleek and simple, if you were asking for opinions on the image.

When I hear "sleek and simple," I think pulled back into a bun, chignon or simple french roll.

b05_hair5.jpg or you could pull the top of your hair back and make it a little puffy and let the rest hang down

00d2_primary.jpg

gwyneth_paltrow.jpg if your hair is long and you straighten/press it

10.jpg
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Posts: 255Registered Users
    I don't know what she has in mind, but I really hate the fact that people tend to associate 'sleek, chic, simple' with LONG and STRAIGHT :roll:

Just be the best you... a soft coil out with a few pieces pinned up would be very nice. or, and a nice flower. :P
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I don't know what she has in mind, but I really hate the fact that people tend to associate 'sleek, chic, simple' with LONG and STRAIGHT :roll:

Just be the best you... a soft coil out with a few pieces pinned up would be very nice. or, and a nice flower. :P

Why? If sleek means smooth...But like we all agree, it's all subjective anyway.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's her day. If I reeealllly cared about her I would find a Dominican stylist and have it done temporarily straight that way. Or I would get an undetectable pony attachment and slick back my hair into some sort of updo. I would view it as a chance for me to possibly explore alternative attractive looks, within the range of my natural hair.

However, If my hair did not do sleek under any natural circumstances (or wearing a wig) and I was not willing to do any of those, I would flat out tell her and leave it up to her to decide if that was a deal break for me being in the wedding party.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • taflogtaflog Posts: 130Registered Users
    ABOUT 5YEARS AGO I DIED MY HAIR CRAYOLA RED :shock: .ONE OF MY BEST FRIEDNS WAS GETTING MARRIED A COUPLE OF MONTHS AFTER I DYED MY HAIR AND INSISTED THAT I BE IN HER WEDDING.(MAID OF HONOR). I WENT THROUGH A LOT TO DYE MY HAIR RED, AND EVEN MORE TO GET IT BACK TO A "NORMAL" COLOR . I DID IT FOR HER BECAUSE IT WAS HER DAY. SHE DIDN'T ASK ME TO CHANGE MY HAIR BUT I KNEW THAT I WOULD STAND OUT MORE THAN SHE. I SAY THAT TO SAY THIS, I LOVE MY HAIR NATURAL LIKE IT IS :D BUT IF I WAS IN MY FRIENDS WEDDING I WOULD GO ALONG WITH WHAT SHE WANTS FOR THAT DAY. SO JUST ASK HER EXACTLY WHAT IT IS SHE WANTS YOU TO DO TO HER HAIR . IF THE FRIENDSHIP IS A TRUE FRIENDSHIP THEN MAY THE TWO OF YOU CAN COMPROMISE.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i tend to disagree with asking people to do something extreme to be in a wedding. if you're in the 4a forum then you would have to go through something to straighten your hair, plus you didn't say how long your hair was. my hair is now short 4 a/b, i never straighten or blow dry my hair so i would not be able to do any "sleek" style but it's up to you if changing your hair is worth the friendship. is your hair long? do you straighten it regularly or at all? i am just opposed to doing something to your hair for a day that could take months or longer to recover from. i compare this to people who want people to lose weight to be in their weddings....if we're god enough to be friends why do i have to change for your wedding? i can understand accessories and things like that but dictating hair is pretty crazy if you ask me...

now how old are you if you don't mind me asking? you said you were a flower girl...
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    If you don't want heat on your hair, then the best bet is like Suburbanbushbabe suggested, smooth your hair back (Aveda Control Paste is great for this), and put the ends into some kind of chignon/fake ponytail attachment. I think the coil-out definitely falls into "goldilocks" territory.

On the one hand, I agree that it's a good opportunity to experiment with acheiving a different look within the range of your natural hair. On the other, her attitude towards curly hair is unfortunate, and it would seriously grate if I felt forced to comply with it.

I could understand a specific style if everyone in the bridal party has hair within a similar range, but like, luvmylocs said, it's unfair to have such a narrow definition when she knows someone in her party would have to go to extremes to acheive it.
  • CheleighCheleigh Posts: 552Registered Users
    Flower girl? :)

Well, for my hair, sleek and simple would be a donut bun and accent it with a flower, clip, or comb, or have a tendril falling from one side of my face in front of my ear.

I am from the camp that folks can suggest the hair, makeup, etc. for people in their wedding, but unless they're paying for it.... :roll:

If I don't normally straighten my hair, I probably wouldn't do it just for someone's wedding. I would find other ways to accommodate, even if it meant wearing a wig or weave for the day (which would be a huge sacrifice on my part, since I don't like wearing either).
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • adia425adia425 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I am going to take denisemounie's suggestion and add a flower or a comb with rhinestones to my twistout/coilout.

I emailed the maid of honor and apparently that note was for the permies. I'll double check with the bride. I never planned on straightening my hair for either of the weddings that I am this summer because I avoid straightening my hair b/c I always end up with random pieces that won't go back. And it really isn't long enough to be pulled back into anything but a big puff with a headband.

When I went natural 2 yrs, I always imagined that I would have to straighten my hair or get a weave for my own wedding (whenever that happens) because I didn't think natural hair was formal. But as I attended more formal events and became more comfortable with my own hair, I realized that my hair doesn't need to be straightened or swinging to look formal. I can make a twistout work for ANY occassion. I've learned to work with God gave me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file