retin a users

guinnessguinness Registered Users Posts: 351
i'm thinking about using this for anti-wrinkle benefits. do i need a prescription or is it OTC now? what strength should i use?

also i need something for "firming" ... that seems to be a bigger problem for me than wrinkling. does anyone have anything that works well for them?

thanks!

Comments

• VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    If you scroll a little further down this page, you'll find a thread on Retin-A that you may find helpful - it has lots of good info. I've been using it for a little less than 4 months and so far, I've been pleased. I needed it for acne as well as skin refinement. I'm 49, oily and acne-prone, particularly around my chin and lower face. I started off with the .025% gel and really liked it. This last time I upped my dose to .05%. Since that is only available as a cream, that is what I am now using. So far so good, but it's only been about a week. You do need a prescription for it, however, your primary care physician can prescribe it if going to the dermatologist is as long term a process for you as it is for me. Around here, it takes at least 6 months to get an appt. You can also order it as I did this last time from medsmex.com. It comes from Mexico where you don't need a Rx. It's sent by USPS and you must sign for it. Be sure to start off slow, with a lower dose and follow directions - particularly the part about waiting at least 20-30 minutes after washing your face to apply, and then to apply a very thin layer - you will use only about a pea-sized amount.

Good luck!!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Retin-A is Rx only in the USA. I order it from Mexico without an Rx, but I'm not advising other people to do that unless they know what they're doing with it. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on internet boards...I just share what works for me.

Retin-A does provide some limited firming to the skin, but I've had some really dramatic results using DMAE amine. Lots of expensive products contain DMAE, but they don't usually have enough of the ingredient to do anything. I've been on the hunt for a really active DMAE for a long time, and finally found something that works. This one uses 3% DMAE, which is the ratio that has been proven to firm skin, and it's acidic, so all of the active DMAE can be utilized by the skin. DMAE amine stinks a little bit...fishy/amonia smell...but the smell doesn't linger. This is the one that I use...you may have to create a free login ID to view this site:

https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DMAE-1&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dall%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DCCCC
  • guinnessguinness Registered Users Posts: 351
    VTmom wrote:
    If you scroll a little further down this page, you'll find a thread on Retin-A that you may find helpful - it has lots of good info.

lol, the curse of 40+ blindness...i can't believe i didn't see that one before. thanks, i'll read through that this weekend.

rcw, the dmae product looks intriguing. for $33 it's totally worth a try. how long did it take for you to see results?
    rcw, the dmae product looks intriguing. for $33 it's totally worth a try. how long did it take for you to see results?

Everyone is a little different, but I saw results within a few weeks on my face, and almost immediately on my eyes. Results with DMAE are said to take as long as 6-12 months, so I'm hoping for even more improvement. I had been using another DMAE for a while, but wasn't seeing much until I started using this new one.

As I said, it's acidic, so it's a bit harsh for some people's skin. Dry or sensitive types might not like it, but I absolutely love it. It needs to go on clean skin and then wait at least 20-30 minutes before applying anything on top (like a moisturizer).

[/list]
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Tha's the DMAE gel I've been using for the past month. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any results. I'm also using the Retin-A .50%. I'm getting discouraged. :(
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
    Tha's the DMAE gel I've been using for the past month. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any results. I'm also using the Retin-A .50%. I'm getting discouraged. :(

What cleanser are you using?
    I'm using the Wheat Germ Cleanser.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

It takes a couple of months for the skin barrier to heal once you stop using detergent cleansers. Also, any topical anti-aging product is going to take a long time to work. I've been working heavily with actives for about 2 years, and I'm seeing the biggest improvements just in the last 6 months. It takes time, and it's unlikely that I'll ever look like a 20 year old again just from Retin-A and DMAE, but I do look the very best I can for 45.
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    I have been using this also for a few weeks and I love this products. I have dry skin and it works great for me. I am still using the sample to it really last a long time.

It takes a couple of months for the skin barrier to heal once you stop using detergent cleansers. Also, any topical anti-aging product is going to take a long time to work. I've been working heavily with actives for about 2 years, and I'm seeing the biggest improvements just in the last 6 months. It takes time, and it's unlikely that I'll ever look like a 20 year old again just from Retin-A and DMAE, but I do look the very best I can for 45.
    I'll continue using the products. I'm just an instant gratification person. :P Sometimes I feel that I am losing the battle. :(
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file