got shots today

picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
Quentin got his first round of shots today. I have to tell myself it's to keep him healthy because it's so hard for me. I was tearing up just laying him on the table. He looked at me and smile and I told him not to smile at me because I knew what was coming it just kills me when they look at you all happy with a big smile and then you have to watch that melt of their face when they get the shot. Oh well we're done now for 2 months
Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    This is why I left pediatric nursing. I couldn't bear to hurt the babies, especially when I wasn't 100% convinced that 2 month old babies need so many vaccines at once to keep them healthy.
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    I feel your pain. My little one just got her four-month shots. At my ped clinic, they ask the moms to hold the babies' hands during the shots, so that they feel more comforted. I, however, just felt like I was giving my baby a false sense of security right before they hurt her!! :cry:

And I always feel like they stab the heck out of the little ones. I know a few things about giving shots (I'm a Type 1 diabetic) and although you do have to apply force, I feel like they're jabbing my poor baby when they give her her shots!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Do you nurse?
    I read somewhere that nursing during or right after the shot calms the baby down. Of course, I read this after I was done nursing.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Oh, it is hard! I've teared up the past two times, even though I know it's good for him in the long run.

This past round, Connor was smiling and happy during the whole appointment up until the shots. He looked shocked for a split second, then, "WAAAHHH!" It would almost be funny if it weren't sad for me.
    ehLB.jpg
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    sarah42 wrote:
    Oh, it is hard! I've teared up the past two times, even though I know it's good for him in the long run.

This past round, Connor was smiling and happy during the whole appointment up until the shots. He looked shocked for a split second, then, "WAAAHHH!" It would almost be funny if it weren't sad for me

oh I hate that look they get when they are like "what the heck are you letting them do to me" makes me want to cry just thinking about it
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    You want to know what is really sad?

When your baby has been poked and prodded SO many times that shots don't even phase him anymore!

Seriously, for Stevens 9 monthers we had a whimper that was calmed down in 2.5 seconds.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    deezee02 wrote:
    You want to know what is really sad?

When your baby has been poked and prodded SO many times that shots don't even phase him anymore!

Seriously, for Stevens 9 monthers we had a whimper that was calmed down in 2.5 seconds.

Bless his little heart!! :cry: That really is terrible.
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I have to say I was panicked the first time Lucy had a shot. She let out a screech that I'd never heard before. I felt so bad for her, but I just held her and she cried for about a minute, maybe less and then was fine.

She's pretty much reacted the same way to her shots ever since. I don't feel so bad anymore, because I know she gets over it quickly.

The worst was when she had to have a blood test at one year. She did fine with the needle, but had a delayed reaction of whimpering all the way home. It was the saddest little cry - it broke my heart.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    im so worried about this! majerle's 2 month shots are coming up in 2 weeks and im terrified...more for me than for her. ive told her dad that he has to take her to the appointment because i know it will break my heart. but the more i think about it the more im not so sure because she likes me more than she likes him and i dont want her to think "ahh im in pain and that nice lady with the cool hair (that would be me ) has abandoned me in my time of need! WAAAAHHH!"

its rough being crazy, but somebody's gotta do it....
  • CGNYCCGNYC Registered Users Posts: 4,938 Curl Connoisseur
    It sucks, doesn't it? I always think - this is why people REALLY don't vax, it's got nothing to do with health reasons it's just too hard!!!

S has to go Monday and I'm really really already worked up about it. In the past two weeks she's had stitches in and stitches out and both times she cried till she puked before they ever got near her. She fell at home and split her lip and was FINE in the car on the way to the ER but as soon as they tried to take her temp (with her finger) she just got beside herself. Same at the doctors office, as soon as she saw the scales she tried to make a run for it, started to shake and cry and then puked everywhere. So now I have to take her Monday to a place she hates and try to keep her calm all the way through shots...which don't phase her. She screams the whole time, they do the shots, I walk her outside and she's like WHEW that's over, let's play!
    I always think - this is why people REALLY don't vax, it's got nothing to do with health reasons it's just too hard!!!

I delayed vaxes for my kids, both for health reasons, and because I hate to see tiny babies stuck with needles.

The reason the peds industry started vaxing babies so young was not so much because they need disease protection at such a young age, but rather because that's when parents are most likely to bring their babies in for regular doctor's visits. The industry would rather bombard tiny immature immune systems with several vaxes at once (with who-knows-what consequences), than to trust parents to come back when they are supposed to. Lowest-Common-Denominator-Medicine once again!

Knowing that, and also knowing that my breastfed babies had passive immunity from most diseases from me, I chose not to begin their vaxes until they were 1.5 years old. I also felt their immune systems were a bit more mature by that age and were more likely to mount a better immune response to the vaxes, and therefore get better immunity. I also spread the vaxes out more, so that they only got one vax at a time so as to be able to watch more carefully for side effects. The process took longer, but I was committed to following up faithfully, so they eventually got all their vaxes by the age of 5.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I replied to this the other day and it didn't go through :roll: - blasted new server! :evil:

I had to take Bella to get her shots the other day too. Thursday. It was so sad, I just wanted to take her and run away so she wouldn't have to get them done. I cried - of course. They wanted to give her a 'roto' something drink for Rotavirus, and I was like, no way.

But those three whammy shots in those tiny little chunka-thighs. Ugh, it's heartbreaking.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    My daughter knows what's going on--as soon as I get her on that table she starts screaming (the same thing happens when we approach the car wash and she recognizes the building from afar--she DETESTS the car wash). The recognition of what was going on started with her flu shots last fall. :( She gets her shot, screams/cries and then a minute later, she's over it. It is heartbreaking though.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm surprised the nurse has you lay the baby on the table. It's much easier for them to administer the shot when you're holding the baby. Much easier for them to access the leg, and much easier for the baby to cling to you and you to comfort him/her.

I'm with RCW. If you're going to vax you need to know everything. Neither the doctors nor the nurses truly educate parents on all they need to know for informed consent. Giving you that paper with possible side effects and having you sign some document isn't giving information.
    FTR, I don't vaccinate due to health reasons. I understand that medicine means pain. Those tiny little bodies getting multiple huge doses at one time, not to mention introduced into the body in an unnatural way. I also harbor a great distrust of drug companies and their marketing machines.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Registered Users Posts: 335
    FTR, I don't vaccinate due to health reasons. I understand that medicine means pain. Those tiny little bodies getting multiple huge doses at one time, not to mention introduced into the body in an unnatural way. I also harbor a great distrust of drug companies and their marketing machines.

cool, same here.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    majerle got her first shots yesterday and we both did pretty good!

she was fussy all day (i think she knew something was up!) so she didnt cry anymore than she had already been crying that day. but i can tell shes sore. she cries whenver she stretches her legs and she has a fever...poor baby
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    We spread ours out...glad no shots for a good while at the moment!
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    River just had his too. I cried and his daddy had to hold him. It was terrible. I think it is the first time he "hurt". :( He didn't cry for his hosptital shots when he was born or his circumcision... My poor baby! :(
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Liam will have his 1 year shots tomorrow... most likely! thank god his Daddy is taking him for this appointment

!d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    aw good luck liam!!
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Well he made it.... my poor smooshie.. I swear it breaks my heart to see him in pain...

3 shots + basic lab panel (lead etc.) The blood draw drove him insane!
    was going to let him go to daycare after but he knocked out so he's home with Daddy..

He weighs in at 22lbs (which i say is skinny, but the doctor says its fine)
    but his length is right at 30inches

The doctor also says no more jar food if I can help it. and to go totally on table food.. even though he has no teeth.
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Glad to hear Liam's shots went well. I made DS's appointment for a Friday evening so that he/we have the weekend to recover.

He should do fine with table food even though he doesn't have teeth. DS only has two top and four bottom teeth, and he's been on table food for months. This is only because a while back he stopped letting me feed him with a spoon and insisted on picking up his own food.

Anyway, Liam will just mash up the food with his gums and his tongue. DS really likes the frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, and beans) They're the perfect size for him and easy to prepare.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Do you nurse?
    I read somewhere that nursing during or right after the shot calms the baby down. Of course, I read this after I was done nursing.

We had our 2-month shots this morning. I recall nursing my kids during shots. Today the nurse told me to wait until after because the baby could choke on the milk, while crying. Huh?

Anyway, as soon as it was over, I picked Lilly up and tried to nurse her. She remained latched for about 30 seconds, stopped, let out a few more cries and then started to smile. She's such a sweet baby.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    We had our 2-month shots this morning. I recall nursing my kids during shots. Today the nurse told me to wait until after because the baby could choke on the milk, while crying. Huh?

Anyway, as soon as it was over, I picked Lilly up and tried to nurse her. She remained latched for about 30 seconds, stopped, let out a few more cries and then started to smile. She's such a sweet baby.

i was just reading an article on how i (as a ped hcp) should encourage moms to bf while the nurse gives the shots..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

That nurse is an idiot...
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    goldy wrote:
    medussa wrote:

i was just reading an article on how i (as a ped hcp) should encourage moms to bf while the nurse gives the shots..

Goldy, is the article online somewhere? I'd like to give it to my pediatrician.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte

That nurse is an idiot...

:laughing9: seriously
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    deedles wrote:
    Well he made it.... my poor smooshie.. I swear it breaks my heart to see him in pain...

3 shots + basic lab panel (lead etc.) The blood draw drove him insane!
    was going to let him go to daycare after but he knocked out so he's home with Daddy..

He weighs in at 22lbs (which i say is skinny, but the doctor says its fine)
    but his length is right at 30inches

The doctor also says no more jar food if I can help it. and to go totally on table food.. even though he has no teeth.

That's right where Chas was at one year!!! So Funny!!! Good Luck with table food. Chas thinks food comes from a jar. He's doing a little better but the transition has been hard.

As to vaccinations, I do them but my max is two shots. We're behind and I don't care.

My sister learned from one of her doctors that at 18 months if they haven't had shots...they only get one shot instead of the a series of shots. For example HepB I think is a series of 4 shots. If you wait till they are 18 months, they only require 1 shot instead of 4. They do 4 shots because the tiny bodies have so high of immunities that it fights off the shots so it takes 4 to get them immune. Crazy right??? Makes it sound like they are killing off our kiddos natural immunities.

I'm going to do more research on it but I personally think next time I'm going to wait until 18 months to start my vaccinations.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I remember the last shots I got as a high school student (Hep B I think), my mom had to leave the room and go sit in the waiting room because she couldn't stand to see me get a shot. I guess some things don't change, even when your baby is a teenager.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    Goldy, is the article online somewhere? I'd like to give it to my pediatrician.

i'm going to have to look.. i can't remember exactly where i was reading it, but it might be an online publication (or related to aap guidelines)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file