CurlTalk

GOING CG

I want to go CG, but i have a few questions.:D

1. How many times a week do i condition my hair?

2. Can i use shampoo at all?

3. About how many weeks does it take for your hair to transition (i'm a 3a), and what happens to your curls during that transitioning period?

Sorry i have so many questions. lol :oops:
3a curls. =D
Shampoo- TGI catwalk oatmeal and honey shapoo
Conditioner- TGI catwalk oatmeal and honey condish
Styling- L.A. LOOKS curl gel + aussie catch the wave mousse

Comments

• ttripleblondettripleblonde Posts: 300Registered Users
    1. Every day.

2. Yes, mild ones containing coco betaine or coco.....propyl betaine cleansers. (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa is cheap and works great.) Just find how much you need to shampoo for your hair type, and type of scalp.

3. During transitioning time your hair is just getting healthier and more hydrated but your stopping the use of silicones so the your hair is dull/frizzy until to the point where it has it's own natural, beautiful characteristics. :D Nothing happens to your curls, some people have found that it's made their hair healthier and curlier. (Happened to me, but I'm still in the process of transitioning)
    3a/3b Mod CG
    CURRENTLY EXPERIMENTING!

excited2buy:Hello Hydration CO & LOOB

Owner Of CG Recipe Website: www.freewebs.com/triplecurl
  • CURLYxMASiECURLYxMASiE Posts: 41Registered Users
    1. Every day.

2. Yes, mild ones containing coco betaine or coco.....propyl betaine cleansers. (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa is cheap and works great.) Just find how much you need to shampoo for your hair type, and type of scalp.

3. During transitioning time your hair is just getting healthier and more hydrated but your stopping the use of silicones so the your hair is dull/frizzy until to the point where it has it's own natural, beautiful characteristics. :D Nothing happens to your curls, some people have found that it's made their hair healthier and curlier. (Happened to me, but I'm still in the process of transitioning)

Thanks for the feedback! =] I'll remember it when i wash my hair tommorow. :D

Btw, where can i buy trader joes products at?
    3a curls. =D
    Shampoo- TGI catwalk oatmeal and honey shapoo
    Conditioner- TGI catwalk oatmeal and honey condish
    Styling- L.A. LOOKS curl gel + aussie catch the wave mousse
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    either trader joe's or online
    3b-3c CG
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Also of great help is to get a copy of the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey who started cg.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    JuicyTube wrote:
    where online?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Brio wrote:
    JuicyTube wrote:
    where online?
    ebay or the swap board
    3b-3c CG
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The book says to conditioner-wash maybe once a week and water wash the rest of the time...but to condition each time you wet your hair.

To be completely CG, no, you don't use any kind of shampoo. If you are modified CG, then yes, you can use the mild, nonsulfate ones.

I didn't notice any transition period once I figured out what to do and had an apporopriate (no cone) conditioner. But you stll have to experiement w/ different products...different conditioners, different stylers, different gels, and (if your're going to be modified) with different shampoos. Some people are just using products that aren't good for them...and mistakenly conclude that CG doesn't work. You just have to find products and a routine that work. Until you do, you may have some bad hair days.

I'd use a harsh shampoo one last time to get rid of all the build up, get a slight trim and start fresh w/ a basic CG routine.