Hot Coconut Milk Chocolate

AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
I was just heating up some coconut milk in the microwave oven for a deep treatment, when I started to think about whether there was something in the cupboard that I could mix with the milk.

So.... *drumroll*

I added about two tablespoons of cocoa powder (100%, unsweetened) to a cup of warm coconut milk, mixed it up well and poured it onto dry hair, then I let it do its job while I took a bath.

I have absolutely no idea if the cocoa had any effect whatsoever, but OH! The scent was to die for, and even now my hair still smells like chocolate.

After I had done all this, I googled "cocoa powder hair" and laughed when the first page that came up was this page where I found this recipe:
Chocolate & Coconut Milk Hair Rinse
Suitable for those with dark, curly, frizzy hair.
Detoxifies your scalp and leaves your hair soft & fluffy.

Prep Time: 15 mins

200ml carton of UHT Coconut Cream
(Coconut milk is able to penetrate deep inside the hair shaft and carry nourishment, in the form of Cocoa, directly into the hair.)
25 grams of 100% Pure Cocoa Powder

Mix both ingredients in a Pyrex jar and use as you would do a commercial conditioner.

Use once a month or as often as necessary.

At least I'm not the only one to come up with this idea! :)
2c-3a/m/ii (FIA), CG since June 1st, 2007!
Love Jessicurl and KCCC might be my HG.

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I don't know if I'd put it on my hair, but I think I would drink it! It sounds yummy. :)
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    So what were the results of this? It sounds yummy.
  • AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
    Nice, soft, shiny, bouncy curls that smelled like chocolate! I only have one warning: If you are blonde, there is a chance of the cocoa coloring your hair, giving it a golden hue.

Oh, and make sure to clean the bathroom afterwards, you don't want brown stains in there... :wink:

I mixed some up today, and added some molasses and some Olive oil. Haven't used it yet but plan on using it as a deep treatment. Have you tried using it as rinse out conditioner?
  • AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
    No, I think it is too oily for that, at least on my hair!

• mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Great ideaa. I know I have a cocoa based face mask and it makes my skin feel great. So where does one purchase 100% pure cocoa powder? I don't think NesQuick would quite do the job. :wink:
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I think Hersheys cocoa powder, in the baking aisle, would do. Penzey's has dutch process cocoa. Oh, Giradelli has one too.

I tried this and it didn't work so well. I am a home-deep-treament making failure. My mixtures are always too liquid and somehow I manage to get drips and splatter everywhere! The bathroom now has a cocoa, banana, avocado theme. So 70's.

Is there a good ingredient to add to thicken these mixes? I know lecithin might help, I haven't tried it.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    I used a little cornstarch to thicken it, it did help, otherwise it was way too liquidy.
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Posts: 354Registered Users
    bumping for DEL2C!
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlymaybe wrote: »
    bumping for DEL2C!
    WOW!!! Thanks curlymaybe!!!!!! :blob: I may have to EAT this first then pour it on my hair!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Posts: 354Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    curlymaybe wrote: »
    bumping for DEL2C!
    WOW!!! Thanks curlymaybe!!!!!! :blob: I may have to EAT this first then pour it on my hair!
    I tried this today and I was seriously tempted to eat it with a spoon.
    I used 1/3 of a can of coconut milk (skimmed the cream off of the top), a squirt of honey, a capful of rice bran oil, a few drops of peppermint and rosemary EO, and a few tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa. Oh, and I didn't heat it.
    I poured the mixture into an old honey bottle and stood in the shower as I applied (super easy to clean up later). Covered with a plastic cap and put a terry cloth headband around the elastic to catch the drips.
    Next time I will use more coconut milk to get better coverage, but this recipe is a keeper. My hair is so soft, and it smelled so yummy!:thumbright:
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • sophelinesopheline Posts: 55Registered Users
    I just tried this, using coconut milk, cocoa and a bit of honey only... well, will have to see how it turns out later! Frankly, I don't even care if it looks utterly terrible because my hair smells SO good right now :lol:

ETA: Well, that was Sunday. Yesterday, my hair was gorgeously soft and today it's still very soft despite the 2nd-day-fail going on with my hair.
    Londoner
    Wavy hair (2-something. Not entirely sure which!)
    Student (finished the BA in French&Italian, now studying for an MA in Translation)
    Interested in languages
    Addicted to gigs
    Dork
    Not quite normal
  • CurlyLocks921CurlyLocks921 Posts: 32Registered Users
    Annika wrote: »
    I was just heating up some coconut milk in the microwave oven for a deep treatment, when I started to think about whether there was something in the cupboard that I could mix with the milk.

So.... *drumroll*

I added about two tablespoons of cocoa powder (100%, unsweetened) to a cup of warm coconut milk, mixed it up well and poured it onto dry hair, then I let it do its job while I took a bath.

I have absolutely no idea if the cocoa had any effect whatsoever, but OH! The scent was to die for, and even now my hair still smells like chocolate.

After I had done all this, I googled "cocoa powder hair" and laughed when the first page that came up was this page where I found this recipe:

(Coconut milk is able to penetrate deep inside the hair shaft and carry nourishment, in the form of Cocoa, directly into the hair.)

Mix both ingredients in a Pyrex jar and use as you would do a commercial conditioner.

This recipe says it detoxifies your scalp? Would you recommend rubbing some into your scalp as well while you're doing the deep treatment.
    Mod CG since Feb 2009
    Hair Type: 3a/3b - 2c on back canopy
    Clarifying: Deva Curl Low Poo
    CO Wash: Deva Curl No Poo, Vo5, Suave Coconut
    Conditioners: AOHR, CJCR
    Styling: KCKT, KCCC, CK, JCNS, BRHG
    Currently experimenting with Pink Boots and CJCCCC.
  • FilantraFilantra Posts: 8Registered Users
    Annika wrote: »

what does the UHT stand for? or is that just the brand of coconut cream> cos i'm not in the us so our coconut cream might differ
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Posts: 280Registered Users
    Well, I haven't tried using 100% coco powder with coconut milk, but I have mixed it with slippery elm powder and yogurt + molasses. Maybe next time I'll mix in some coco powder. I have the 100% unsweetened powder in my cup board but my mom and sister use it to make cake. :geek:
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • ShiriShiri Posts: 45Registered Users
    i think chocolates work better for brunettes.
    3B and sometimes 3C.
    No poo since 9-9-2008
    coconut oil,shea butter,olive oil,henna and mayo r my best friends!
    finally i am a proud curly head(unfortunately i used to adore straight hair)
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know if I'd put it on my hair, but I think I would drink it! It sounds yummy. :)

Ditto! In fact, I know I'd do that for a fact!
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • joycurljoycurl Posts: 162Registered Users
    I experimented with this over the weekend and let me say, it was a total mess! Next time I will try to add cornstarch to thicken the mixture. I also added honey to the mixture. It was constantly dripping, all over the place, I was held hostage in my bathroom and I couldn't tolerate it for 30 minutes, so I last about 15, without heat.

The results were great. I usually style my hair in coils and my hair was so soft that I had trouble doing this. The next step...see how my hair is in a week when I do a coil-out.
    Type: 4ab
    Co-Wash: Elucence MB Conditioner, ACV Rinse
    Sealant: Coconut/Castor/Olive Oil Mixture
    Style: My Own Butter Mix
    Deep Cond: CJ Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment, Henna, Olive Oil & Honey
    Current Faves: Coconut/Castor/Olive Oil Mixture, Henna, Curl Junkie Products
    My Fotki
    event.png
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've made hot cocoa using coconut milk several times -- it's very tasty. And we've used coconut milk to make various ice creams, including chocolate. So you could mix up a DT and have a cup of cocoa, too. (I've made other DTs that are edible, too -- blending up some banana, avocado, coconut milk, and honey makes a great DT and you can eat it as is or freeze it til semi-frozen and enjoy!)
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file