Makeup for deep-set eyes

McCurlyMcCurly Posts: 200Registered Users
Could someone give me some tips to put my makeup? I have eyes that are more "deep-set" than open.
Hard to explain.
I have to use concealer. I hesitate between putting makeup only on the upper lid. I don't know if it would be better to use some pencil along the corner of the low line or not.
And mascara is not really visible on me. I have to put load of mascara (volume) and your barely see that I wear mascara.

I hate to put too much makeup but I end up using:
concealer
blush
color on my lids
pencil to define the eyes (but don't know where to put the pencil: as liner, as khôl...)
mascara
I sometimes use lipstick or gloss.

Any idea for me?
Corkscrew 3B

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Light colors tend to bring things forward, so you'd probably do fine to put a light colored eyeshadow on the lid and crease to bring them forward a bit. You really can't go wrong with a little liner/pencil/kohl on the outer corners of the eyes, just for definition.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Light colors tend to bring things forward, so you'd probably do fine to put a light colored eyeshadow on the lid and crease to bring them forward a bit.

I know that's the popular answer to this question. But if your skin is pale, a light shadow could end up washing out your eyelids, making your eyes less noticeable and undefined. At least, that's what happens with me. I've found that a sheer wash of medium-toned shadow looks best--especially if it has a little shimmer. As a brown-eyed brunette, Garnet from Lorac is my staple shadow. (Despite its name, it's a red-tinged brown) Unless your eyes are close set, smudging a bit of light, shimmery shadow onto the inner corner of each eye (in addition to the darker shadow) is very flattering and adds the right pop.

If you're worried that your eyes are deep set, using some concealer around your eyes and eyelids would eliminate any darkness that accentuates this.

Unless you're very adept at it, I think that lining the bottom lid can end up making deep-set or smaller eyes look more recessed. However, using a light liner along the rim of the bottom eyelid (above the lashes) can make eyes look bigger, which is always flattering. It creates the illusion of extending the white part of the eye (awkward sentence, I know). Of course, you could be subjecting yourself to eye irritation or infection from putting makeup there. I myself don't use liner there for that reason, but plenty of women do and it's up to you.

There are drugstore and department-store products that have mascara on one end and a lash thickener on the other. Maybe that would be worth looking into, but I can't speak from experience. If you keep your eye shadow low-key and neutral, maybe you could try a mascara that's subtly colored instead of black. I guess you could see through trial and error whether you should put mascara (and liner) on the upper lashes only, on the outer lashes only, on all lashes, etc.

Hope some of that was helpful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file