Regarding the recent thread purge...

SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
Hi Michelle and Gretchen!

I noticed that we recently had a very large purge of "old" thread topics (late June/early July).

While I understand that this if often necessary in order to make the board run smoother, isn't there some way that these old (and valuable) threads can be archived instead of deleted?

In the recent purge, we lost a great deal of REALLY good information... some of it was only a few months old (like info on Mastey products from earlier this year). I can understand purging very old threads, such as ones from 1999 which haven't had a reply since... but, I am confused as to the purging of threads that are only a year old OR ones that had recent responses to them.

In a way, I feel that this hurst the newbies most b/c we "oldfolk" are always telling them to "do a search" as we get tired of writing the same thing over and over again about products like Rusk Wired, etc... Now, it appears that these very questions are going unaswered simply b/c many of us are "tired" of typing them out. Prior to the purge, a helpful suggestion such as "do a search" was an easy way to get them the info. that they were seeking.

In any case, I think that archives are a valuable resource on any good board. icon_biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your response...

Most sincerely,
Sherry
3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Sherry,

I appreciate and understand your concerns.

I try to purge only stuff that is 180 days old or older. I have to do these purges to keep the board running smoothly. We generate such a huge volume of postings that the servers get full fast. We can't afford to buy any more server space. Naturallycurly.com is not a particularly profitable enterprise. We barely make enough to cover our monthly bandwidth fees, which are several hundred dollars. So add'l server space to store old threads is not feasible.

I wish I had a better answer; I, too, lament the loss of so much great information.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    Thanks for the reply, Gretchen!

I completely understand now. I wish there was a way that we could do some sort of NC.com fundraiser! icon_biggrin.gif

All the best,
    Sher
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity

I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • svtsvt Registered Users Posts: 19
    Sherry and Gretchen!

Look what I found! Click here.

Here's the link to the homepage of the Wayback Archives.

It's a little difficult to use and I don't believe they were able to archive everything. I also haven't tried to use the search function to get specific info. But I figure their archives are better than nuthin! icon_biggrin.gif

Play with it and see what you get!

HTH! icon_smile.gif
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Well, isn't that the dangest thing! Didn't know it existed.
    Thanks for pointing it out!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • eboni1eboni1 Registered Users Posts: 46
    You also might want to look into a different webhost.
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SVT...just a font:
    Sherry and Gretchen!

Look what I found! Click here.

Here's the link to the homepage of the Wayback Archives.

It's a little difficult to use and I don't believe they were able to archive everything. I also haven't tried to use the search function to get specific info. But I figure their archives are better than nuthin! icon_biggrin.gif

Play with it and see what you get!

HTH! icon_smile.gif
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Super cool! You are quite the sleuth!!! Thanks for sharing with us! icon_biggrin.gif

Sher

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file