OMG. I am old.

SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
I try to pay with correct change. This involves fumbling through my bag and trying to get the most EFFICIENT combination of coins.

Even when I pay with a card, it takes forever. I have to wonder why all the swipe machines must be different. Then I have to peer at the numeric pad. I must have the receipt and it must go in my wallet. Do I have everything? Let's check again! Meanwhile the young people in line are sighing heavily and rolling their eyes.

When did this happen?
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I dont know but I am with you. I was watching an older couple getting in their car yesterday (they were probably in their late 70s early 80s) and I was thinking - do they still think they are young like I do? I think in my head I am young but I do oldpeople stuff!!! The drive up guy at Dunkins yesterday was so annoyed at me because I was giving exact change - you could tell he just wanted to slap me upside the head!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • beckysmabeckysma Registered Users Posts: 241
    I'm too unorganized to have exact change, so I debit EVERYTHING...when I can find my card, that is...
    3b, fine, but LOTS of it...
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    Yeah Castella, separated at birth sista, you're old!! :lol:

Seriously though - I wonder about some of the younger people today and their inability to make change. I went to Baskin-Robbins the other day and my total was $2.50. I handed the young guy a $5 and he handed me back $1 for change. I was like :shock: ! So I questioned him about the total and he hands me back another .50 cents and I was like "dude - I get back $2.50"!

So I think it works both ways. However, I NEVER pay by check anymore and people who do that and hold up the line get my eyes rolling.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I debit everything. The problem is when I'm going somewhere where I will have to use my card, I will check to make sure I have it when I leave my house & then I check again once I get to the store. Do I think it some how jumped out of my wallet while I was driving??? :?
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I pay cash most of the time because I can screw up one of those credit/debit machines in no time. :oops:
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    However, I NEVER pay by check anymore and people who do that and hold up the line get my eyes rolling.

I'm afraid you'd be quite irritated with me. I pay by check for most everything. But now, many establishments have that "point of sale" thing going on where they run your check thru the machine and then hand it right back to you. I'm like, "but I gave this to YOU." Then when I get home, I put the check in the drawer along with all of its little friends. One day I'm just going to melt down and have a "check-shredding" party.

Since all of that is getting to be too much trouble, I use my check card a lot more than I used to.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    I have little patience for those who dig through their purse or pockets for exact change, or to write a check. :lol: I don't exhibit it outwardly though.

I never seem to have change on me. It's in the car's ashtray & in containers at home.

If using a drive-through I have change though!

So everywhere else I pay with a bill or debit card to make it quicker & easier for those behind me.

That still doesn't stop a whole lot of people from physically showing little patience with me trying to get the card out of/back into my wallet, & grabbing the receipt & purchases before they start pushing me out of the way! :roll:
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Well, I almost always use a debit card and I finally bullied Mr. Castella into using his as well instead of writing checks.

But sometimes you have to pay cash. Like at the farmer's market, or in cafeterias. Then the pressure is ON!

Just 2 years ago I remember watching, with enormous exasperation, my mom pay for groceries. Little did I know that it's contagious.
    formerly Castella
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I dig for change, after politely saying I have correct change here, somewhere. Usually no aggro that anyone openly displays. Who am I rushing for, anyway? I like paying with debit cards too, but I also like a handbag without loose metal on the bottom.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I use my debit card 99% of the time. I never seem to have cash on me.

I rarely write a check, either. All my bills are paid almost exclusively by online banking with my credit union.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I have a coworker who is 26 & she digs for the correct change. I witnessed this yesterday & couldn't help but chuckle since I realized this wasn't an age thing.

I got a key card for the underground parking at my work. This is quite a big deal since only the senior workers get one & I've only been at my job for a year. Well, I parked in the garage & got lost going out. This is only 2 levels, but I couldn't find my way out of it. :shock: I kept driving in circles. I finally saw a man walking to his car & I waited to follow him out. Unfortunately, it was my Assistant Manager, so he knows I have no since of direction. :(
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    " have a coworker who is 26 & she digs for the correct change. I witnessed this yesterday & couldn't help but chuckle since I realized this wasn't an age thing. " - g-stringgranny

Ever since I was a kid, I always tried to pay with exact change - so it's not an age thing. But I know a woman who is 5 years older than I am(I'm 60)who when she pays by check, actually BALANCES her checkbook right there!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I don't DIG for exact change -- it's right there in the coin pocket -- but if it takes me a little longer to do it, I don't care. If those math-deficient young people could MAKE correct change, I wouldn't bother!

I swear, if their cash register doesn't let them enter the amount you give them and calculate the change for them, they can't do it.

Oh, and if your bill is $1.98 and you give them $2.03 so you can get a nickle back instead of more of those damned pennies? Theyll give you your 3 cents back, tell you you gave them too much money, and then try to give you two more pennies. :roll: :lol:
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    fig jam wrote:
    I swear, if their cash register doesn't let them enter the amount you give them and calculate the change for them, they can't do it.

Oh, and if your bill is $1.98 and you give them $2.03 so you can get a nickle back instead of more of those damned pennies? Theyll give you your 3 cents back, tell you you gave them too much money, and then try to give you two more pennies. :roll: :lol:

Ditto
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • YolyCYolyC Registered Users Posts: 3,758
    VTmom wrote:
    fig jam wrote:

Ditto

Ha! I do this on purpose, because I know they'll get confused. When they give me the wrong change, I correct them. My daughter totally rolls her eyes. Thing is she does it at me, as if I were in the wrong. :laughing9:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    Sometimes messing with their little minds is just too much fun. I actually had a cashier break down and weep and call for her manager when I gave her change enough that I could get 2 quarters back. Back in the dark ages I worked for an upscale dept store. Many dept stores were moving to computerized machines, but this one didn't. They insisted that their cashiers be capable of giving correct change no matter what configuration was handed to them. And we could. I still find myself beating the machine in deciding the correct change to give back to me and I have ended up telling the cashier what to give me back. I do run across one now andthen that can do it, and I do compliment them on that skill. And whatever happened to handing someone their change first, then the bills? It allows you to cup your hand and put your thumb on the bill. Change on top means you have to juggle to keep it from sliding off!!!

OMG - I'm older than you!
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    The time will come when the younger peoples don't know how to handle cash at all!

Yes, I do remember a time when you would be handed your coins separately from your bills, and also they would count it out for you and then you could both nod in agreement that it was correct. I still get that once in a while....usually when the cashier is 40+ :) !
    formerly Castella
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    I can totally relate to everything said!
    [although I still write checks, and I like to get change back because I put it into my jar for a special something]
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Registered Users Posts: 558
    Luckily for others, I use my Alaska Air Visa for everything, because air miles are like gold up here. Otherwise I'd be that "Oh oh oh, hold on! Let me find 6 cents, so you can give me $5.75 back in change, instead of $5.69!" person.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    It seems to me that the people at the supermarket who use debit cards take longer than those who give exact change.

When I use my debit I swipe the card and punch in the PIN while the items are being rung up, but most folks around here wait till there's a total, then dig out their wallet, then search for the debit card, then swipe....Takes forever. I kind of don't understand using a card for a small purchase, but then I grew up with cash.
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    Castella wrote:
    The time will come when the younger peoples don't know how to handle cash at all!

Yes, I do remember a time when you would be handed your coins separately from your bills, and also they would count it out for you and then you could both nod in agreement that it was correct. I still get that once in a while....usually when the cashier is 40+ :) !

Yeah, and I like getting my change back first in the palm of my hand and THEN my bills so I can close my thumb over them. When my oldest was working fast food I asked him how they taught him to give back change and it was change on top to keep bills from blowing away...so I showed him the difference and he changed to give them change first.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file