paging RedCatWaves - update on my skin situation!

cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
"Hi RCW!
Again, thanks for the info!
After I posted my last message, I talked with my medical esthetician about my progress so far, and reactions. He then asked me how much product I was using - turns out that I was only supposed to use 3 drops instead of an inch's worth inside the dropper! I'll be checking in with him after a week on the much less product and same every 3 day schedule to let him know if matters have improved. Right now, my face doesn't feel as dry or sensitive as it did this am. But I'm not due for another application until Sunday." - cara4curls
The above I had posted in my thread about being a newbie to active skincare, and not too long after that, I had already purchased the Obagi Clarifying Serum. See my update on this below:

Alas! Spoke too soon! After two more applications(for a grand total of 5 in the space of 2 weeks, of the Obagi Clarifying Serum), even at the reduced dose that my esthetician suggested, my sunspots appeared to be DARKER, even with the religious use of sunblock! Yesterday I took the product back to them to get a refund, which I got, but they were not very pleased at all that I did this, and have barred me from purchasing any more products from them. No attempt was made at suggesting an alternative product either! Pretty lousy customer service after all their blather about their concern for clients finding the right solutions for their skin situations, and it being OK to return products within a 30-day period(I had had mine for only 14, with just 5 uses). But maybe it is for the best that I got off of that serum while I was ahead, and away from that med spa, and before even FURTHER damage has occurred. Hopefully since I only applied this stuff 5 times, this apparent darkening will settle down!
Now, the question is, would your recs that you so kindly supplied me in my "newbie to active skincare" thread still be appropriate, or should I avoid anything with hydroquinone altogether? I'm in kind of a quandary about this, and just tempted to bag the whole idea of trying to "lighten" hyperpigmentation, esp. after seeing over on another board about how people with various skin pigmentation problems WAILING about how hydroquinone WORSENED their situation instead of making it better.
Thanks for any input - I copied and pasted your previous recs into another document so I have them along with the websites to order from if still appropriate given the update I have just given you.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know why the Obaji product caused your skin to darken. I've heard some truly awful stories about how Obaji caused skin nightmares for people, and I have never used any of their products myself.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just do a basic skin program for a couple weeks...a non-detergent PH-balanced cleanser and a gentle natural moisturizer (emu or shea) and let it heal. Then, I might add just a vitamin C product in the mornings. Then, if that was going OK, add some Retin-A or Tri-Luma in the evenings (very gradually), and just see how it goes.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    Hi RedCatWaves! Thanks for getting back to me with advice - that's pretty much what I'm going to do for the next couple of weeks at least. I might even have to hold off on the Rx products until I've taken a sufficient break and think it all over. At one point I was considering rose hip oil as a natural alternative for damaged skin. Do you know anything about this? I've seen a bunch of stuff about this on the web but by very few people who have actually had experience with it.
    At one point I was considering rose hip oil as a natural alternative for damaged skin. Do you know anything about this? I've seen a bunch of stuff about this on the web but by very few people who have actually had experience with it.

I haven't tried it or researched it. I'm so happy with emu oil as a biological healing oil, that I just don't need or want to try anything else.
    Hi RedCatWaves!

Thanks for the input about the emu oil! Since I posted here about my short experience with Obagi Clarifying Serum, I posted basically the same message over on another experienced skincare board where folks have had extensive experience with Obagi products. One person there commented that in the beginning when using bleaching products, along with a glycolic cleanser, the unpigmented skin tends to lighten up first before the hyperpigmented areas do, making the dark spots appear to be darker in contrast to the skin, before things start to blend in from the action that the hydroquinone will eventually have on the darker areas. I have started using Aquaglycolic Cleanser in the last week or so, every other morning, which is about the same strength as the more expensive Jan Marini product that was recommended by the spa that I just returned the Obagi Clarifying Serum to. I like this cleanser so far - no irritation, and my skin is feeling smoother already. Anyhow, maybe I might have pushed the panic button too soon about the hydroquinone in the serum, and might go ahead and order some Triluma and Retin-A from medsmex.com as you originally recommended. Since I do have a bunch of spots, I think that's why I was recommended the Obagi serum at the medspa, to apply all over the face instead of trying to patch it onto multiple spots and risk uneven bleaching action.
    Again I appreciate your good advice and thought I'd run this latest one by you - thanks!
    I have started using Aquaglycolic Cleanser in the last week or so, every other morning, which is about the same strength as the more expensive Jan Marini product that was recommended by the spa that I just returned the Obagi Clarifying Serum to. I like this cleanser so far - no irritation, and my skin is feeling smoother already. Anyhow, maybe I might have pushed the panic button too soon about the hydroquinone in the serum, and might go ahead and order some Triluma and Retin-A from medsmex.com as you originally recommended. Since I do have a bunch of spots, I think that's why I was recommended the Obagi serum at the medspa, to apply all over the face instead of trying to patch it onto multiple spots and risk uneven bleaching action.
    Again I appreciate your good advice and thought I'd run this latest one by you - thanks!

Personally, I don't think that cleanser will do anything, other than compromise the skin barrier. It's a SLS based cleanser, and all detergents break down the natural protection of the skin barrier, leaving us more susceptible to irritation, and if it's got any therapeutic amounts of AHA in it, it's not going to be effective because: 1) it's probably not acidic...acid ingredients can't do anything if they aren't acidic and, 2) as a cleanser, it's not going to be on your face for any length of time.
    "Personally, I don't think that cleanser will do anything, other than compromise the skin barrier. It's a SLS based cleanser, and all detergents break down the natural protection of the skin barrier, leaving us more susceptible to irritation, and if it's got any therapeutic amounts of AHA in it, it's not going to be effective because: 1) it's probably not acidic...acid ingredients can't do anything if they aren't acidic and, 2) as a cleanser, it's not going to be on your face for any length of time." - RedCatWaves

Yowza! I might as well just go back to my homemade ground-up oatmeal and finely-ground organic brown sugar exfoliator, which when used regularly works pretty well! I just thought moving up to a different product might be a good thing, but I guess not, in my case. Good thing I haven't spent any money on glycolic cleansers - the Aquaglycolic cleanser that I mentioned is several samples I had requested from the manufacturer to try out. Again, thanks for your help and input on products.
    Update on Aquaglycolic Cleanser - despite it having SLS in it, my skin seems to be liking this so far. No irritation, and my skin is looking somewhat brighter. I have an appointment with a cosmetic dermatologist(instead of a practitioner)who owns a med spa near me for one last try at getting a suitableprescribed regimen, as I would like someone to look at my skin directly. Since I kind of jumped the gun at the other place and can't go back there, I am starting over with an assessment.
    Just recently I read that US customs is cracking down on internet pharmacies and warning people not to risk their health and beauty by ordering Rx topicals. I think this was posted on www.dailybeauty.com which is an outpost of New Beauty magazine. Personally, I don't see what the problem is, as long as one knows what to get and exactly how to use it - as there is a brisk cross-border traffic in people getting all kinds of medications that they wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford!
    Just recently I read that US customs is cracking down on internet pharmacies and warning people not to risk their health and beauty by ordering Rx topicals. I think this was posted on www.dailybeauty.com which is an outpost of New Beauty magazine. Personally, I don't see what the problem is, as long as one knows what to get and exactly how to use it - as there is a brisk cross-border traffic in people getting all kinds of medications that they wouldn't ordinarily be able to afford!

I don't think the gov't is going to crack down on drug ordering from across the borders just yet...not with our healthcare system in such a wreck that people could die because they can't afford their medications. The "beauty experts" can warn me all they like...I know most of the stuff they offer is bogus crap and I've chosen to inform myself and be very selective about what I'll believe from their often-dubious advice. That site is full of products that do absolutely nothing beneficial for anti-aging, so I'll take their advice with a grain of salt.
    Thanks, RedCatWaves - well said about the cross-border stuff, also about the dailybeauty website - goes along with what I actually thought. Lots of the stuff on the dailybeauty site was pretty much expensive feel-good fluff, IMO. Actually, I just saw the movie "Sicko" this afternoon, and yes, our healthcare system is a wreck! Dentistry and optometry are other good bets in Mexico too, esp. in border areas. I know this from personal experience - have saved literally many hundreds, even thousands of dollars on dental procedures, and been very satisfied to boot, as our dentist there is very good. I'll be due for another trip to Mexico in the not-too-distant future! During one of these ventures, I had to have some antibiotics prescribed by a local dentist, and 3 weeks worth of meds cost me all of $12. While I was picking up these, the lady in front of me was buying a half-dozen tubes of Retin-A for about $9 each, no questions asked!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file