What did you find first- the CG book or NC.com?

What did you stumble across first the Curly Girl book that led you here, or did you find NC.com first that led you to Curly Girl??

I cannot really remember what I found first, I think I found the Curly Girl book and then led me here through googling *curly hair* But, I have no clue how I came across the Curly Girl book, maybe by searching on Amazon.
Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DoodlesDoodles Registered Users Posts: 1,984
    I also found this site by Googling 'curly hair'. It was through this site that I learned about the CG routine. I haven't even seen the book! :lol:
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I found this site after the book. But I found the book when a friend ordered it and sent me one of those "try this book at a discount" emails when she ordered it. And she'd found out about the book from reading about it on this site!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • acorn~oakacorn~oak Registered Users Posts: 9
    I stumbled across the book while wandering through the nonfiction section of the library. I didn't even realize I had curly hair! The book had naturallycurly.com's address it it, and I followed it here. So glad I did! :D
    3b and botticelli,
    loving my curly hair!

Do whatever works for you. Who cares whether you're violating curly "doctrine"?
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    My mother in law actually found the book and gave it to me. Then I read about this place in the book and found NC.com (and joined) a couple of weeks later.
    I LOVE the CG routine and this place!!!! :D

/Jenny

• JoyForeverJoyForever Registered Users Posts: 1,628
    I found the book first... well, sort of. Several years ago a curly friend of mine brought it to class and was showing it... two other curly friends and I pored over it! So I've never actually owned the book, but I memorized a good deal of it. :wink:
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I stumbled across NC.com years ago, I'm one of the "oldies". :D
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SherryLSherryL Registered Users Posts: 82
    I found NC.com in late 1998.

The CG book didn't show up around here until Spring 2002.

The 4 years before the CG book were very, very different here. ;)
    3a, BSL, color treated/highlighted, fine strands (but lots of them), high porosity
    Routine: Modified CG, protein lover

:walk:
    I'm a curly-headed runner, triathlete and foodie! Sweat, chlorine, sun... my hair gets tortured by it daily. It somehow always manages to 'bounce' another day!
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    I googled and found NC.com and then found out about the book and all of the other great stuff to be found here!! :)
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I found NC.com through makeupalley.com. Then I picked up the CG book after reading about it here.
  • SnowWhiteSnowWhite Registered Users Posts: 6
    I found NC.com first then the book.
    3b
    past tailbone length, creeping to classic
    CG routine since May 2002

pictures at www.photobucket.com
    login: Wishing4LHC password: hair
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    I could swear I saw an NC.com billboard. Is that possible?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Registered Users Posts: 1,078
    BellaLuce wrote:
    I found NC.com in late 1998.

The CG book didn't show up around here until Spring 2002.

The 4 years before the CG book were very, very different here. ;)

How was it different?
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • ~curlyfry~~curlyfry~ Registered Users Posts: 26
    a friend bought the book for me at wal-mart because she knew i struggled with my super-curly hair. in the back of the book, it mentioned that naturallycurly.com boycotted "the princess diaries" movie because the curly haired heroine got a hair makeover via brush, blow dryer and flat iron. i had never known that there was a whole web site dedicated to people with naturally curly hair, so i decided to check out nc.com, and i've been a regular ever since!!!
    3b. Tight, brown corkscrew ringlets; down to the middle of my back with sideswept bangs that I "straighten" by tucking behind my ear while drying. :wink:
    College freshman and hair product junkie. Not a good combo! haha!
  • crazycurlzcrazycurlz Registered Users Posts: 4
    I received the book for Christmas last year from my sister. She found it at a book store and bought it for herself (she has wavy hair). After reading it, she determined that I needed more than she did and so she sent it to me. I read the whole thing on Dec 26th and haven't used shampoo since...
    I found the website shortly thereafter but have been more of a lurker and less of a poster...A lot of what I think and feel about my hair and how to take care of it is often stated by someone else so it just confirms that I'm continuing to do the right thing.
    I am so thankful for both the book and NC.com. I received my curl ambassador cards in the mail the other day and am proud to hand them out.

Thanks to all for their ideas and confessions and willingness to try new things. This CURLmunity is awesome.

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Poodlehead wrote:
    I could swear I saw an NC.com billboard. Is that possible?

:D Were it only that we had such money! No billboards that I know of!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ILovejuiceboxesILovejuiceboxes Registered Users Posts: 50
    I believe that I stumbled upon this site in October. I was on for about thirty seconds, heard about the book, then forgot about all of it until this month. Then out of nowhere the book's name just popped into my mind. I ordered the book, it hasn't come yet, but I saw that I have an account here.
    My hair is stubborn. What I thought would help me only resulted in horrible, damaged hair. Straightening my hair is now the only reasonable thing I can do. So, I am no longer CG. Not until my hair gets fixed.
    Goal- Long, shiny locks! Currently shoulder length when curly. Goal is to reach around right below chest area. Wish me luck! :)
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Registered Users Posts: 260
    I found out about the book from a friend of mine in Mexico. She has similar hair to me and has been CG for some time now. I ordered the book when I got back from Mexico, and have now been CG for over a year. The information on NC has been much more useful to me than the info in the book.
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I clicked other. I actually found Laura Lee's blog post first.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    I was googling a product I bought sometime spring of 2009 and found reviews on Curlmart - which eventually led me to NC.com. My bank account has never been the same. ;-)

I don't know that I'll ever bother with the book - there is already far more information on this site than there is in the book.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    the book first -- i was browsing in a bookstore on a sunday afternoon, first hair book i ever read that made sense, so i bought it.
    cannot remember how i came across nc, but it was a couple of months later. might have been because i decided at some point i'd get my hair cut at devachan and was googling them for reviews, and that might have brought me to nc, and carlos flores!! who is no longer at devachan, but still in ny cutting hair!
    and nc of course has been an amazing source of knowledge for me, and my relatives and friends in extension.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file