Anyone been to Toni & Guy?

MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
A coworker who has wavy hair similar to mine, but slightly thicker, recommended the one in York. She specifically commented that they cater to all hair types.

I know that they are a franchise and every one is different, but I'd still like to hear of any experiences.

On their website, they only show "fashion model" type hairstyles that can only be worn by people under 25 who don't have jobs where they have to look professional.

Comments

• NewMrs.NewMrs. Posts: 87Registered Users
    I went to one here several years ago, and was not impressed. The curly headed stylist, who you'd think would have good experience with curlies, got so frusterated trying to comb out my hair, that I had to do it for her. And they cut me wet.
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    They cut my hair 4 inches shorter on one side that the other!!!!! it looked awesome when it was straightened, this kind of angular look but terrible when curly. Needless to say i had to have 4 inches chopped off the other side to even things out. That was the one in Birmingham though
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • bemebebemebe Posts: 32Registered Users
    Unfortunately, I have nothing but bad press for T&G. I live in London and after going to L'real Sutdios (I get my hair cut by students, far cheaper and ususally a really good fashion cut) and I thought after a few years of going to L'real Id go to T&G...such a mistake. I really cant express how much I think they just dont cater to curly hair.

LOL I sat down in the chair and I was shown a portfolio, all of which were poker straight fashion cuts (very nice mind you...but poker straight!) Arg! Did I leave, NO. lol I continued and had faith in the hairdresser...<slaps back of hand> naughty

By the end of the pulling, tugging (and to my horror use of a brush, which I protested greatly at) out come the hair straightners. (I have NEVER straightened my hair before and really didnt want it done) Anyway, the stylist then set about trying to put straightners direct onto my hair without ANY protective sprays...which is when I ran lol

So all in all PLEASE, please dont go...T&G are pricey and for that price there a far better salons around with curl friendly folk

Good luck in your search
    mish mash of 3b/3c on the top and 2a at the nape of neck
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks. I decided to go to my local neighbourhood salon after all. The stylist paid attention to me and what I wanted, and it was much cheaper than getting my hair done on the high street.
  • belfast curlybapbelfast curlybap Posts: 5Registered Users
    I have a friend who is a stylist in Toni & Guy, and he told me that they never use curly-haired people for their training models, and that the haircuts they do are very much intended for straight hair. Guess it's no coincidence that that both times I've been to Toni & Guy they've straightened my hair...
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a friend who is a stylist in Toni & Guy, and he told me that they never use curly-haired people for their training models, and that the haircuts they do are very much intended for straight hair. Guess it's no coincidence that that both times I've been to Toni & Guy they've straightened my hair...

Interesting. I wounder what would happen if you called your local Toni & Guy and asked if they had someone who could cut curly hair. I can't imagine they would say no and lose the business.
  • FrizzBucketFrizzBucket Posts: 62Registered Users
    Me and my mum (who also has very curly hair) both went there and were cut bu the same woman who did a pretty good job on both our hair. However on an earlier visit my mum was cut by one of the people in training who comepletly ruined her hair!

I guess it's kind of hit and miss...

Tony and Guy products smell really good though! :cat:
    3a/3b In the Uk.

Currently Tresemme Conditioner
    Boots pink curl cream
    Wella shockwaves gel
    :nike:

Embrace the Frizz!!
  • no hero in her skyno hero in her sky Posts: 26Registered Users

Not so true. I was a training model for Toni & Guy once and I have curly hair and they left it VERY curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file