Toner Users - Witch Hazel Enough?

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
for those of you that use toner, do you find that witch hazel alone is enough? i felt like it was enough for my super oily skin but now it seems like i need something stronger. i use salicylic acid and bpo (paula's choice) after i clean then use toner. it could be the hot, icky summers that are making me feel like i need more. please weigh in ladies!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I've read on skincare forums that witch hazel is bad and irritating for the skin. I see you're using Paulas Choice. Do you go to acne.org?
    3b-3c CG
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i do a modified version of the acne cure program (based on that book). i use tazorac at night.
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    It never worked for me. And it stinks :?
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I think it depends a lot on the brand and type of witch hazel. I use the alcohol-free witch hazel with rose made by Thayers and it is very gentle. It is stinky (especially if you don't like that rose scent). I only use it in the summer.

Dickinson's witch hazel has alcohol, and can be harsher on the skin. But the alcohol also serves to kill bacteria. It's also stinky. I don't use it on my face, but I've used it before on my legs after shaving to help cool the skin.

I've found that generic brands (like Top Care) don't smell as much, and I don't know if that's because they have less witch hazel extract in them or if the other brands add scent to make their products seem more herbally.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It never worked for me. And it stinks :?

My sentiments exactly. I can get over "stink" if the product does something, but witch hazel never seemed to do anything at all...good or bad.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i bought peter thomas roth conditioning tonic. i think it's working better than plain witch hazel. on another note, i never felt that witch hazel stinks...oh well :?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file