My Wonky Skin

curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I originally posted this on the OCM thread at LHC, but I haven't gotten an answer yet, so I'm going to cross-post here.

Background: I usually cleanse my skin with OCM, then may or may not follow up with my black soap. I'm having a hard time finding a moisturizer, since everything breaks me out.

Well, I'm not quite sure what to do with my skin. I've developed alot of pimples, which I have no idea how to clear up. I've never had pimples. I tried putting on my husband's acne treatment cream and I think it's working, but I have 2 very dry spots that are just getting aggravated by the cream! ARGH! The pimples and my dry spots are all down on my chin, around my jaw line. I quit OCM for a bit because I thought that maybe my skin changed and I needed to start over with a different blend, but then I get these dry spots! So I started washing with my black soap.....

As you can see, I've done too much all at one time. I don't know what to do or where to start. Can anyone help? I've never had pimples OR dry spots before and I don't know how to treat them. Do I try to treat one problem at a time? Is there something I can do for both at once? HELP!
I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
I'm a product junkie. <3

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It might be the OCM. I had the same thing happen to me when I tried OCM...worked great for a while, then BAM, pimples everywhere, especially around my chin. It was like an acne beard. It took me months and months to clear it up.

A good neutral non-detergent cleanser, some salicylic acid and you'll probably clear up. Emu oil makes the best moisturizer.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've actually been using Jojoba oil (1-2 drops) on my skin at night after washing and putting on my benzyl peroxide cream and it's really helped with my dryness issues. I read somewhere that jojoba oil is non-comedogenic and ok to use on oily skin. I normally have oily skin but constant use of harsh acne/pimple creams dries it out pretty bad which leads to more oil production which leads to more breakouts, etc. So I've found that using a mild cleanser, followed by my pimple cream and then moisturizer has actually helped to balance out the oil/dryness problem.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sooo...would my black soap be a non-detergent cleanser? I really like that stuff and I have tons of it.

I'll keep up with the pimple cream and just look for a better moisturizer. I've seen you post about emu oil before. I'll look into it. I'm not sure what the active ingredient is in that pimple cream. I'll look into it. I wonder if an aspirin mask would work for me or aggravate the dry spots more?
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sooo...would my black soap be a non-detergent cleanser? I really like that stuff and I have tons of it.

Soap is non-detergent, but all soaps have a very high PH, which causes the same skin-barrier-breakdown problems as detergents do, maybe even moreso. Some people do OK with soaps on their face, but they're usually not the people who have troubled skin to begin with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file