coconut milk experiment

AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
This morning I took a can of coconut milk, added a tablespoon of flaxseed and boiled it for about five minutes. Strained it into an old conditioner bottle and refrigerated.

The thing is this: I don't like gel, mousse isn't working for me, I need moisturizing leave-ins but I have also discovered that I need a little hold because otherwise I lose most of the curls on the top of my head in the afternoon - the layers underneath have much "stronger" curls if you know what I mean, that don't fall out easily.
So, I figured that this way I would get the benefits of coconut milk with a little hold from the flaxseeds (also making it less liquidy), without boiling it long enough to actually make a gel. By keeping it in a squeeze bottle instead of a glass jar, it's easy to get the right amount.

I have it in my hair now but it hasn't dried yet so I don't know if it worked or not :)
2c-3a/m/ii (FIA), CG since June 1st, 2007!
Love Jessicurl and KCCC might be my HG.

Comments

• heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    So how did it go?
  • AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
    Ummm it wasn't a huge success, I ended up with quite greasy hair. I think I put too much of it in! I'm trying it again today, but this time I'll use just a little on my ends.

I used it again today, but only on the ends and along with my L'Oreal Curl Power spray, and HOLY CRAP, I've never had curls like these before!!! :o The coconut milk helps to keep the curls together, frizz-free and shiny, while the spray helps with curl enhancement. It's evening now, and my hair still looks fabulous!!! :D

I don't know if the flax seed really do anything for hold, but what they've done is to make a lotion out of the milk so that it's much less runny and easier to apply. Sure makes for a dirt cheap leave-in!!

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thinking out loud here - I wonder if you could put some coconut milk into the all in one spray recipe or is that just wrong?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Why not? It can't hurt to try ;)

My problem is that I just can't stop trying new things. My hair is GREAT today but nevertheless I know I'm going to try other products and combinations in the future just in case I'm missing something that might be even better.

I like the idea of putting coconut milk in my hair, and honey too... I have to find a way to add honey to this routine :D

but hey, I'm saving so much money on my hair nowadays anyway (1 bottle of $2 conditioner instead of $20 each shampoo/conditioner, not to mention all the DT's, serums and styling creams!) so I can definitely afford experimenting with coconut milk, flax seed and honey. :roll:

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair really loves aloe and honey. I get the best hair days when I just mix up some flax gel (Niverna brand) and some aloe gel with a bit of honey. I am not sure why I dont just use that all the time but like you I keep looking for the product/routine that will make it perfect :D
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • twistedwhimsytwistedwhimsy Posts: 13Registered Users
    Hmm Coconut milk.
    I never would have thought..

I'll have to try this friday!
    Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file