calling all daycare workers...

kaesekaese Registered Users Posts: 137
The school I worked for last year is considering me for a position in their affiliated daycare, in the 2s and 3s room. After my interview, they called and asked me to come in on Monday to see "how I work with the other teachers and kids." I've been planning to teach elementary school, so I am really not used to working with kids this young. What will they expect me to do while I am there on Monday? Do you think I need to prepare anything? (In the interview, they questioned me about what type of lesson plans and week long units I would do if I were hired :shock:) I am thinking about bringing in a couple of books, although I am sure they have kids books there, just to look like I am prepared. I think I'd really like this job, and I want to make a good impression. ANY advice is appreciated! :D

Comments

• kcckcc Registered Users Posts: 681
    I used to work in a day care when I was in college. I worked with the 2s and 3s and also the infants. I think they just want to see if you would fit in with the other teachers and also see how you react to the kids. I would look at it as a time to interact with the kids (play and talk with them on their level, etc), talk to the teachers and ask them a few questions. It is also an opportunity for you to see what it might be like when you start working. I would just have a positive attitude and be open to learning what it's like.
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
  • noellenoelle Registered Users Posts: 377
    Good luck with the interview, kaese!

With your experience as a dedicated teacher, I'm sure you are more than qualified. :)
    2C top/3A&B underneath. Activate Hydrating Conditioner, Jessicurl products.
  • gggg Registered Users Posts: 1,865
    You could always ask them what types of things to prepare for. It might be different here but when I taught preschool overseas(3-6 yr olds) you'd have to do a demo before you were hired. A demo would just be a short lesson to show how you teach. You could prepare a little game for the 3 year olds maybe a game on teaching the alphabet or a counting song.

I found these sites they might help you with ideas.
    http://www.funlessonplans.com/index.htm
    http://atozteacherstuff.com/Lesson_Plans/lessonplans-preschool.shtml
    http://www.preschooleducation.com/game.shtml
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • dia99dia99 Registered Users Posts: 1,998
    Here is a list of resources I'm putting together to prepare for my new job as a literacy coach in preschool centers. There are some good sources I've found for coaches, educators and parents.

http://www.taskstream.com/ts/carlis/CoachResources.html , password appletree

Specific suggestions -

#4 under Electronic Files - Reading (Essentials of Early Literacy Instruction)

#10 in same tab (Positive Behavior Support to Support Instruction)

Pre-K Now Virtual Classroom Tour - on my site the general reference is Web Link #10 on the home page.

If you have more time, my advice would be to start with the website of your prospective job (if they have one). Find a few key "technical" terms they discuss there, then read more about those items. If they have a philosophy written there, think about it and figure out if you agree with it, if you can expand on it, and/or how you would exhibit those beliefs in working with children. How could you make those beliefs explicit and integral to the kids' instruction? Since you've worked there before, you have a head start on this, I think!

I wish you the best!

:D
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • kaesekaese Registered Users Posts: 137
    Thanks, guys! I'm nervous because I still have no idea what to expect, but now I am at least armed with a few songs and games :lol:
    Y'all are wonderful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file