Biotera Styling Gel, Biolage Gelee?

RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
I picked up this gel today at Sally's. The sign at the store compares it to Biolage Gelee, which I've been wanting to try, so I bought it. But now that I compare the ingredients, they are very different. It is CG. There are no reviews of the Biotera on the product review part of the site.
If you've used these, how do they compare, how do you like the Biotera, and how do you like to use it? I haven't tried it yet. What sort of hold does it have? I wanted to try a more liquidy gel, thinking I'd get better distribution, but I think I need pretty good hold for my waves.
I also saw the Biotera curl cream but resisted -- yay or nay?
2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
Seal with camellia oil
Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
Homemade food-based DTs
RC color

Comments

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    Too weird! I just went to Sally's specifically to buy this gel yesterday. I used to use it many years ago when I wore my hair in a very short, layered kind of messy style. Always loved it then, I don't know what made me remember it. I always had better results w/ it than Biolage, and you can not beat the price, so cheap for 12 oz. I also adore the scent. I am looking forward to showering later today to try it now that I have gone full blow curly.

I am just like you w/ the Biotera curl cream! I debated and debated, but resisted as well!

The Biotera reconstructing condish is also in my regular rotation, I get great results with it and I believe it is CG.

There is nothing I love more than quality products like these that don't
    break the bank!

Edited to add: There are a lot of favorable reviews on Biotera products over on makeupalley.com.
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    HA! I just picked this up today too...I have been loving the Aura Hypo gel and the ingred are primarily the same for the Biotera so I thought I'd try it out because the prize/size is better for the Bioterra. Plus if I like it there is a liter size for about $8. I'm bummed because there is no larger size for the Aura/Naturelle Hypoallergenic gel. And I use a fair amount of that in a week b/c my hair is so long and thick.
    I also noticed that the ingred have changed/rearranged on the Aura Hypo gel. They took out the coconut oil and it seems to have less glycerine in it. Anyone else use the new version yet? I haven't started into the new formula yet and wondered did anyone notice a difference?
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • islandcurlsislandcurls Posts: 70Registered Users
    I haven't tried the biolage but I love the Biotera Gel. Have used it for years. Before finding this site my perfect combo was to leave some of the biotera reconstructuring conditioner and then add the gel but unfortunately the condish has cyclopentasiloxane so now I only use the gel which is cg plus has sunscreen which is great.
    Thick 3c/4a
    :sunny: Goal: BSL curls!
    DevaCurl One C, Biotera Styling Gel, unrefined Shea butter, Honey, EVOO, Coconut oil, ACV rinses
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I heard that it was the knock off of BRHG. I plan on trying both the biotera and the biolage.
    3b-3c CG
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    Ugh! And I thought the condish was OK. I still get great results w/ it, but that is definitely an ingredient I thought I was avoiding.

I used the gel today for the first time in years, and also the first time since I have gone curly. I had a great hair day, but I ended up being much crunchier than I am used to, it was hard to scrunch it all out. The texture of this gel is so nice and liquidy, it gives great, great distribution. I'd actually say this texture is more of a glaze and not even gel. I just think I overdid it on the application, I am not used to a gel going on so easily.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    JLPmom and Echokitten, how funny that we all just picked up this gel -- our PJs must have been in sync this week. :wink: I'm glad to hear from JLP and Islandcurls that you like it so much -- I hope it works well for me. It would be great to find a HG that's a bargain -- nice big bottle, too.

I'm confused though -- Is the Biotera supposed to be a knockoff of Biolage Gelee, Aura Hypo, or BRHG?? Just in case there are other Biotera gels, I bought the one that's labeled Biotera Styling Gel, firm hold.
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Biotera is the knock-off of the Biolage Gellee, but it was "knocked-off" before the Biolage got reformulated. So the Biotera is the generic of the old Biolage, which most people seem to have preferred over the newer formulation.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    I used it today. I cowashed with V05 grapefruit mandarin somethingorother...used the last of the V05 cham tea therapy as a leavin, which is normal. Then applied two healthy pools of it to squeezed/squished hair. Then plopped for about 30 min b/c I had oodles of time. Then air dried. Not too bad I'd say. I couldn't resist futzing with it before it was completely dry so I got frizzy, but I had to get it outta my face while I was doing the dishes... :roll:
    But my hair was soft and shiny with no crunch/flakes to speak of. That, I like. I will work on the specifics later. I was happy that it worked out well, since it comes in a bigger size (and liter size) for the money than Aura Hypo.
    BTW, I also bought my Sally's discount card today too. My PJ is all too happy for that. For 5 bucks--it'll pay for itself in a week... :lol:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • bectazbectaz Posts: 14Registered Users
    I just picked up some today. I looked at the Aura Hypo - but it was more for a lot smaller quantity. The scent to this is not overwhelming so I will try it tomorrow :)
    "You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. " ~ Immanuel Kant
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    FYI:
    I just got an email from Sally's... Biotrea Shampoo and Condish are on sale for 2 for $10.00. I didn't notice that any gels were on sale.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/newsletter/0707/2for10.asp

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I picked up the curl creme last night. I am not so sure about the smell - kinda strong. I got some pretty good curl (I used this under the hypoallerginic gel mixed with aloe gel). I overplopped so it was not a good test of the product today - I will report back in when I dont forget to take the tshirt off my head.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Biotera is the knock-off of the Biolage Gellee, but it was "knocked-off" before the Biolage got reformulated. So the Biotera is the generic of the old Biolage, which most people seem to have preferred over the newer formulation.

Could it be true? My beloved old formula Biolage Gellee is reincarnated into the cheaper Biotera?!!!! I happily used Biolage gel for about 8 yrs. and then it suddenly stopped working. Later, I found out that they had frickin reformulated it. BTW-I very rarely find a product I would label HG, but that was mine. Bailey422, you may have just made my day, my week, no- my month! I so hope this works. I'm sick of switching gels every month. I'm off to look for a Sally's in my area...
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I'm off to look for a Sally's in my area...

orangeserendipity32 - let me know if you find it in the cities - just pm me. Ok, first try it, then let me know how it works!!! Biolage gelee is my closest thing to a HG also and I would do cartwheels to find a bigger cheaper bottle of something similar!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No problem 2 happy! There are about 4 in the Twin Cities according to my google search. I had actually been to a Sally's b-4 a while ago, and had looked over the Biotera. Since it looked and smelled like Biolage gel I figured they had reformulated biotera as well. I'm so glad that is not the case. I'll probably pick some up today, and let you know how it goes.
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste

pw=ringlet
    I bought the Biotera firm hold gel! (I caved and got the aura hypo gel too...oh and a club card). It seems to work just like my old formula of Biolage Gellee. If it keeps up, I will be more than happy to have my best ever gel back. What a great value compared to what I used to pay for the Biolage. I am not a fan of the re-formulated version AT ALL.

For those that are curious of my rountine w/ biotera: I first used CK, then a ton of Biotera, and after diffusing until 75% dry I added Aveda light elements to my ends (it's like a creamy pomade). I scrunched the crunch out easily after it was dry. My hair is SO shiny and I have ringlets and volume. My favorite quality of it is the curl definition I have. My hair is soft too!
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:

pw=ringlet
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    The closest Sally's here appears to only carry the light hold nad medium hold so I got the medium. I'm gonna try it out later today.
    Is anyone else using the medium?
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    I bought the Biotera firm hold gel!

My girlfriend just told me she wants to run to Ulta one of these nights. Maybe I'll have to talk her into finding Sally's instead :D

must.try.must.try.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I guess if medium isn't enough for me I could try putting a little BRHG over it. I end up doing that with most things anyway, lately.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • Pippa8668Pippa8668 Posts: 163Registered Users
    Bumping to get some more opinions about biotera, if there are any.
    3b-ish i think
    off and on CG-er since 2004
    Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    Koukla72 wrote:
    water, vp/va copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, propylene glycol, polysorbate 20, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, phenoxyethanol, polyquaternium 10, methylparaben, ethylparaben, polyquaternium-11, fragrance, polyquaternium-7, hexyl cinnamal, geraniol, hibiscus sabdariffa/hibiscus sabdariffa flower extract, humulus lupulus/hops, malva sylvestris/mallow extract, tetrasodium edta, alpha-isomethyl ionone, isoeugenol

These are the ingredients on my bottle. I thought I had the new version, but now I'm not sure. I can't remember when I bought it. Maybe last winter?
    Location - WI
    Ok, I found another old bottle of mine. It was definately bought a couple years ago (my first bottle) and it has the ingredients listed on drugstore.com. I'm certain it has to be the old version. My newer bottle was purchased at a newer store this winter, so it's not like they would have been sitting on old stock.
    Location - WI
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    I bought the Biotera firm hold gel! (I caved and got the aura hypo gel too...oh and a club card). It seems to work just like my old formula of Biolage Gellee. If it keeps up, I will be more than happy to have my best ever gel back. What a great value compared to what I used to pay for the Biolage. I am not a fan of the re-formulated version AT ALL.

For those that are curious of my rountine w/ biotera: I first used CK, then a ton of Biotera, and after diffusing until 75% dry I added Aveda light elements to my ends (it's like a creamy pomade). I scrunched the crunch out easily after it was dry. My hair is SO shiny and I have ringlets and volume. My favorite quality of it is the curl definition I have. My hair is soft too!

OrangeSerendipity,
    Is the Biotera still working as well for you? How great to find a replacement for your old HG! When you say you use a ton of it, could you say about how much you mean? Right now I'm playing around with a bunch of different gels, including the Biotera. I need a lot of hold, and I like the old BRHG (which I stocked up on but will soon be unavailable). I like the Biotera so far but I think I need more of it. I like how easy it is to distribute, being so liquidy. I'm curious, how does the Biotera/old Biolage compare to old BRHG in your experience, if you every used it?
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    Rozetta-Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I lurv the biotera still. I use about 3 large palmfuls. One I smooth into the top and bottom of my hair like I'm about to put hair into a pony. Then I scrunch in the second puddle into the top area and sides of my hair leaning from side to side while doing so. The third puddle I scrunch into the ends and nape area of my hair while upside down. I always have used more product w/ runnier gels. My hair is pretty thick and long too.

I have used the old BRHG, and I find that these two products are both crunchy until you scrunch it out. I like the biotera firm better though because I get better second day hair, more consistant curl definition after each use, and much less stringy looking ends. My hair drys a hell of a lot faster w/ biotera which is always a plus for me too. I tend to like BRHG on really humid days though. So I guess they both serve a purpose in my hair life. :brilsmurf:
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:

pw=ringlet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file