Homemade Deodorant

DARUL35DARUL35 Registered Users Posts: 51
Does anyone know of a homemade deodorant that would be good for
adults as well as kids? Is there anything other than baking soda?
The reason I say this is because a lot of people, even the pharmacists
say that whatever a person puts on their skin, it does go to the blood-
stream; but in small amounts.

Now I know that baking soda is used for baking lots of food but it is
a natural sodium.

Also, I have tried it in the past and it seemed to be irritating.

Can someone please suggest something homemade?

:D

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    You can use baking soda, but it may irritate (happened to me and stopped using it).

As odd as it sounds, zinc oxide ointment ($1.85/tube) will guard against odor fairly well. Rub it in well, and then sprinkle a light coating of baking soda over it. Again, the BS may start to irritate. Or instead of BS, use cornstarch or monistat soothing care medicated powder. Or a mixture of cornstarch and BS.

Tom's of Maine has a new formula - "Longlasting formula now with hops". I have tried the apricot and it works fairly well. I do sprinkle a bit of the monistat soothing care medicated powder. I bought the lavender scent today. It also comes unscented.

Good luck!
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • gggg Registered Users Posts: 1,865
    I was also going to suggest baking soda. When I was a preteen my mother would mix baking soda and any kind of talcum powder we had in a paste for me to use. What about those crystals. Don't know if they work. Or maybe those body mints.
    You don't have to blow out my flame to make yours burn brighter.

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
  • DARUL35DARUL35 Registered Users Posts: 51
    Windflower wrote:
    You can use baking soda, but it may irritate (happened to me and stopped using it).

As odd as it sounds, zinc oxide ointment ($1.85/tube) will guard against odor fairly well. Rub it in well, and then sprinkle a light coating of baking soda over it. Again, the BS may start to irritate. Or instead of BS, use cornstarch or monistat soothing care medicated powder. Or a mixture of cornstarch and BS.

Tom's of Maine has a new formula - "Longlasting formula now with hops". I have tried the apricot and it works fairly well. I do sprinkle a bit of the monistat soothing care medicated powder. I bought the lavender scent today. It also comes unscented.

Good luck!

Hi there. Is it zinc oxide ointment or the cream?
    On the box:
    Zinc Oxide Ointment USP
    Skin Protectant (Soothing Relief from Sunburn, Chapping and Minor Skin Irritations)
    Zinc Oxide, 20%
    Inactive ingredients: light mineral oil, white beeswax and white petrolatum

Note: It is not greasy once rubbed in well. I don't use a lot, a pea size or a tad larger. For reference, I have been using the 2oz tube for 4 or 5 months and still have at least 2 more months of use.

I haven't been able to find zinc oxide cream. It should also work. If you have ZO cream, could you please let me know where you found it.

Oh, I almost forgot:

This link sells a ZO based deodorant. I plan on buying once my tube is finished. I find that if I rotate deodorants on a monthly basis, they all keep working.

Click on "Three Day Deodorant"--I do wonder if it will last 3 days.

Deodorant
  • fig jamfig jam Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Here is a natural deodorant that's a little drippy to apply but that actually works pretty well to prevent odor:

Apple cider vinegar. Apply with cotton balls/pads and let dry. The vinegar smell goes away as soon as the liquid dries.

I forgot where I read about this but it is something I used to do when I was in my natural hippie-chick phase.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    After trying a blue million natural deodorants I tried this- http://www.styledash.com/2007/01/17/drugstore-beauty-queen-adidas-deodorant/

It's the only aluminum free one that has worked for me so far. Oddly enough, it is silicone free as well...imagine that, a CG deodorant... :lol:
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    echokitten wrote:
    After trying a blue million natural deodorants I tried this- http://www.styledash.com/2007/01/17/drugstore-beauty-queen-adidas-deodorant/

It's the only aluminum free one that has worked for me so far. Oddly enough, it is silicone free as well...imagine that, a CG deodorant... :lol:

I have tried the Adidas deodorant. Both fragrance choices (power and fresh scent(?) turned sour on me by the middle of the day. :( Did not smell good at all.
  • SnarlsSnarls Registered Users Posts: 2,537
    Oh, good! Another use for apple cider vinegar! (not being sarcastic, just wanting to use the stuff up)

Alcohol kills odor-causing bacteria and I have several recipes for homemade deo that have vodka (!) as an ingredient. I haven't tried that, but I do use witch hazel in a 14% alcohol base. Swipe it on & let it dry, then apply your deo. I've found it helps give the deo a clean field to work with. I use baking soda and it really is irritating...however, when I've tried to switch back to my old commerical deos, they didn't work any more!
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I tried the crystal sticks and they don't work for me. On cold days when I'm not sweating they're OK. But this time of year (and I take karate too), I don't trust 'em.
    Crystal sticks are the worse for me, no matter what time of the year. Yuck.

I am going to try the apple cider vinegar. It would be great to have another product in the rotation.
    Castella wrote:
    I've found it helps give the deo a clean field to work with. I use baking soda and it really is irritating...however, when I've tried to switch back to my old commerical deos, they didn't work any more!

Have you tried using cornstarch instead of the BS? Also, try cutting the BS with cornstarch.

It is too bad that the BS irritates so badly because it works so well for odor and wetness.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file