We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Why would I need hold?

firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
So...I'm getting back into products and experimenting with different things. One issue I'm unsure of, however, is why might a curly need hold in their styler???

Also - what the heck is good about gel? I sure haven't figured it out yet.
Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
Love the hair!

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    firelily wrote:
    Also - what the heck is good about gel? I sure haven't figured it out yet.

Hold. If you don't need hold, you probably don't need gel.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    firelily wrote:
    One issue I'm unsure of, however, is why might a curly need hold in their styler???

I'm not really sure what you're asking... I need hold to hold the curl. Otherwise, my hair would get frizzy and the curl would fall out. Does that answer the question?

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    If I don't use a product with hold my curls lose definition and are frizzy.
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I have fine, slippery hair and my curls/waves will fall out by the end of the day without some hold.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    firelily wrote:
    One issue I'm unsure of, however, is why might a curly need hold in their styler???

I'm not really sure what you're asking... I need hold to hold the curl. Otherwise, my hair would get frizzy and the curl would fall out. Does that answer the question?

Oh...my curl doesn't fall out. It gets smooshed out if I lay on it while I'm sleeping all night, but that's something different. It does get frizzy, but gel doesn't seem to stop that unless I use so much that my hair is really stiff.

I kept on hearing that curlies need gel, so I tried a few, and I haven't been impressed.
    Love the hair!
    firelily wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    firelily wrote:

Oh...my curl doesn't fall out. It gets smooshed out if I lay on it while I'm sleeping all night, but that's something different. It does get frizzy, but gel doesn't seem to stop that unless I use so much that my hair is really stiff.

I kept on hearing that curlies need gel, so I tried a few, and I haven't been impressed.

If you use enough to make it stiff and let it dry *completely*, you can scrunch out the crunch and still maintain hold, definition and frizz control but eliminate the wet crunchy look.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup

meriellyn wrote:
    If you use enough to make it stiff and let it dry *completely*, you can scrunch out the crunch and still maintain hold, definition and frizz control but eliminate the wet crunchy look.

I don't mean just a little crunchy, I mean really crunchy, to the point where I can't crunch it all out, and it only stops looking stiff the second day (although that second day hair is great). I'll experiment a little more, but since I don't need the hold apparently, and only need a little help with definition and frizz, I think there's probably other stylers out there that would be better for me.

Thanks for explaining it!
    Love the hair!
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    My curl doesn't fall out at the end of the day, so for that I don't really need the hold. However, I find that I need something to keep the frizzies at bay, which is where the hold factors in. I thought that I needed a higher hold gel for the summer humidity, but in fact I just needed a better gel that was more moisturizing without proteins.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
    firelily wrote:
    meriellyn wrote:

I don't mean just a little crunchy, I mean really crunchy, to the point where I can't crunch it all out, and it only stops looking stiff the second day (although that second day hair is great). I'll experiment a little more, but since I don't need the hold apparently, and only need a little help with definition and frizz, I think there's probably other stylers out there that would be better for me.

You may want to look into cream stylers, or light-hold gels. The Mop Top gel, for example, gave me lots of shine and curl, but my curl would fall out an hour later b/c the hold is so light. Something like that might work for you.

Bailey422 wrote:
    firelily wrote:
    meriellyn wrote:

You may want to look into cream stylers, or light-hold gels. The Mop Top gel, for example, gave me lots of shine and curl, but my curl would fall out an hour later b/c the hold is so light. Something like that might work for you.

A cream under a gel could work too. It could lessen the crunch while maintaining the definition.

• Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    Hi
    I find that I dont need any hold in my hair at all because my curls are dense and really full. I prefer soft hair, so I generally use cream stylers and oil instead of gel. But some do get really soft hair with certain gels I heard, but not everyone needs them.
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FCurlypad%3Ffeature%3Dmhum" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg
  • beckysmabeckysma Posts: 241Registered Users
    My curls would never fall out, not in the middle of a hurricane. I've never considered people whose curls would fall out by the end of the day to be "curly."

I've always classified "curlies" as people fighting the battle to keep them under control.
    3b, fine, but LOTS of it...
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    beckysma wrote:
    I've always classified "curlies" as people fighting the battle to keep them under control.

Depends on what you mean by keeping them under control. I mean, my curls don't "fall out", per se, but without enough hold my hair does look less curly as the day progresses. I lose a lot of definition and turn into a frizzy mess- especially in this humidity.

So... for me, I need hold to define and keep the frizzies at bay, as well as give me volume at the root. Also, when I use stronger gels I can get a tighter curl.

Edited to fix grammar!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    beckysma wrote:
    My curls would never fall out, not in the middle of a hurricane. I've never considered people whose curls would fall out by the end of the day to be "curly."

Well I'm a wavy/curly but still... by "the curl falls out" I don't mean I end up with straight hair at the end of the day, or even just loose wavy hair. I end up with a flat top, droopy undefined curls and frizz or some stringy curls, with a lot of fluff and frizz.
    Maybe I should say "the curls fall flat, go limp, and fluff out."
    I still fight a "battle to keep them under control," it's just a slightly different monster. I know solid 3A's with the same issues as me... does that somehow make them "not curly"? :?

• GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    Hey firelily

You may just be blessed with naturally spirally hair! In which case, don't worry about using a gel. I've experimented with gels only because i feel i "need" to because every other curly seems to use one! (i've just ordered some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink] because I can't help but think "i'll give it one more go, i might be missing out" it'll probably be on the swap board in a week :roll: ). My experience is usually the opposite of what most people report, I get droopy curls when i DO use gel because my hair is so easily weighed down, gels seems to stop it springing up! I find leave-ins or coconut oil help my hair hold a curl better as the better moisturised my hair is the more it springs up. I do have quite fine hair though so i can see that if i had a thicker hair i'd need hold.

Best of Luck!
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
    Hey firelily

You may just be blessed with naturally spirally hair! In which case, don't worry about using a gel. I've experimented with gels only because i feel i "need" to because every other curly seems to use one! (i've just ordered some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink] because I can't help but think "i'll give it one more go, i might be missing out" it'll probably be on the swap board in a week :roll: ). My experience is usually the opposite of what most people report, I get droopy curls when i DO use gel because my hair is so easily weighed down, gels seems to stop it springing up! I find leave-ins or coconut oil help my hair hold a curl better as the better moisturised my hair is the more it springs up. I do have quite fine hair though so i can see that if i had a thicker hair i'd need hold.

Best of Luck!

Yeah, my hair spirals, no matter what, and there's not really any difference between my hair in the beginning of the day and the end of the day. Aside from really humid days, it looks great no matter what (or at least I think so).

So...I guess I forget the gel or needing any hold, and go for the cream stylers, which seem to work better at definition and frizz control.
    Love the hair!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Hold, how I love thee....

Without hold in the summer, individual corkscrew curls for me become individial corkscrew hairs. The pattern of the curl doesn't change so much, it's just that the curl will poof out into individual hairs or small goups of hairs instead of a curl.

Since I'd like to be able to fit through a door when I enter a room, gel is quite helpful. :D :lol:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    beckysma wrote:

I think it's time to reconsider your outlook. :roll:

• curlyincollegecurlyincollege Posts: 175Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    beckysma wrote:

I agree with Bailey422! Ouch! My curls may need a bit of a boost and definitely some hold to keep from ending up weird-looking/smushed, but even on my worst hair day, I don't think anyone would look at my naturally wavy/curly hair and say that it's not curly. And definitely no one would think that it's straight! :lol:
    This site has released my inner PJ demon... :)

I'm a 2b/3a in a perpetual search for the products that will actually give me a good hair day in this brutal heat and humidity!
    Hold, how I love thee....
    Since I'd like to be able to fit through a door when I enter a room, gel is quite helpful. :D :lol:

Hahaha! That cracked me up! :lol:

Glad to make someone laugh! :D

• GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    firelily wrote:
    Hey firelily

Best of Luck!

Yeah, my hair spirals, no matter what, and there's not really any difference between my hair in the beginning of the day and the end of the day. Aside from really humid days, it looks great no matter what (or at least I think so).

So...I guess I forget the gel or needing any hold, and go for the cream stylers, which seem to work better at definition and frizz control.

I recon you'd get great results from cream stylers / definition type products instead.
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote:
    beckysma wrote:

I agree with Bailey422! Ouch! My curls may need a bit of a boost and definitely some hold to keep from ending up weird-looking/smushed, but even on my worst hair day, I don't think anyone would look at my naturally wavy/curly hair and say that it's not curly. And definitely no one would think that it's straight! :lol:

I 3rd that! That actually made me a little sad - like my curls are not worthy of being called curls. :(
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I like gel because it..
    a) gives me a better curl definition
    b) prevents frizz
    and c) reduces the shrinkage

Well ,I use a cream gel from Nivea and I like it alot ,becaue it's not as drying as other gels.

• keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    Are you supposed to put gel in your hair when its wet or when its dry? If I do it when its dry it takes a lot of gel, although my hair is curly when its dry and i want to keep it like that, but its straight when its wet and i dont want it to look like that all day.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkeikok%2F" class="Popup
    password:curly
    xcptnl wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    beckysma wrote:

I 3rd that! That actually made me a little sad - like my curls are not worthy of being called curls. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.

xcptnl wrote:
    Bailey422 wrote:
    beckysma wrote:

Don't feel sad! Us wimpy-curled girls are just as much a part of the curly club, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ;)

• AnnikaAnnika Posts: 123Registered Users
    meriellyn wrote:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.
    Me too! Funny, how all these years I have battled and denied my curls, and now I'm so sensitive and protective about them.
    2c-3a/m/ii (FIA), CG since June 1st, 2007!
    Love Jessicurl and KCCC might be my HG.

• beckysmabeckysma Posts: 241Registered Users
    Give the newbie a break, please.

:cry:
    3b, fine, but LOTS of it...
    beckysma wrote:
    Give the newbie a break, please.

:cry:

Hey, mistakes happen. It can take some time to realize that there are all types of curlies out there. Perhaps we should have been mroe sensitive to your membership date.

I used to think that if someone had straight roots and curly ends, then they must have had a perm becase naturally curly hair was curly the whole way. I just had to get educated. I had to learn that not all curly hair is coarse and dry like mine. Some have very thin fine curls and/or silky curls.

Some curlies do have natural curls and/or waves that start out perky, but the environment, weather, type of water, product, etc can make a huge change in how they look, how curly the curls are and how long they stay perky before some environmental factor weighs them down or frizzes them out. Some curls are harider and don't flatten out or get weighed down. We have such a wide variety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file