Boosting IQ

shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
I want to do everything I can to help him be smart. Any ideas? websites? My mom says reading to him a lot helps. We already do that. Anything else?
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Read to him every day. Let him explore. Let him play.
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Don't force it. Shoot Shellie didn't you just have your baby? Some people end up burning out their kids by trying to make them highly intelligent. Just make sure you keep a good balance between learning and just being a kid. I agree with RCW advice. If you give your son a love of reading, then that will get him far. If he shows an interest in a hobby, nurture it. Try not to get caught up in the race that some moms get in to have the smartest kid.
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    ITA RCW and internetchicks.

Reading (you reading to him) and playing are all that he's going to be able to do for the next couple of years, anyway. Oh, and talking to him is important too. When I had DJ, I found it hard to talk to him. I felt really stupid talking to a baby, but I got over it really quickly.
    3c/4a
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Isn't your baby like a month old?

I am all for making kids more intelligent and all of that, but enjoy him being a BABY...

ITA to read to him everyday, let him play and explore (safely, of course). That's how babies/young children learn, they need to explore their world, etc.
    :rambo:
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Music (when they are a bit older) is supposed to help.

My mom always told me to eat fish- that it was brain food. I hate fish (other than a McDonald's fish sandwhich or my own tuna salad).
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Messican! :lol:
    ok, maybe some reading, too...

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Agreed with RCW and IC. You can't make him smart and any product you buy that claims to make a baby smarter is just full of sh*t. Read to him, let him explore the world around him, talk to him about what you are doing and what is going on as you go about your day. Take him out to experience different situations and observe the world around him. At this age and for several years, play IS learning. And they don't need fancy, special, "edumacashunul" toys, your keys, wooden spoons, tupperware, cardboard boxes are all great at various stages of infancy and childhood. Understand the stages of infant and toddler development, so that you have an idea of what is developmentally appropriate behavior.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    At this age and for several years, play IS learning. And they don't need fancy, special, "edumacashunul" toys, your keys, wooden spoons, tupperware, cardboard boxes are all great at various stages of infancy and childhood.

Ain't that the truth!

Even now that's 4 (his birthday is tomorrow!!!), he still prefers household items, toys from the dollar store or old, broken toys he finds at the playground. He has really been a cheap kid, thankfully. :lol:
    3c/4a
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Oh y'all!I'm not trying to make some child genius or anything, but just want to do stuff that encourages learning while we are having fun. Or just things I've heard like them being exposed to certain color combos or shapes are supposed to stimulate them somehow. I am the silliest person I know, so there is no chance of a lack of playing/fun at our house!

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    You're reading to him already? You realize he's sleeping like 18 hours a day, right? :lol:

Right now your job is to make sure he's fed, has a clean diaper, and a safe place to sleep. If he's awake for a few minutes, he'll enjoy you talking to him a bit.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    babywavy wrote:
    You're reading to him already? You realize he's sleeping like 18 hours a day, right? :lol:

YEEEES! I really think he likes being read to. He gets really quiet and is all relaxed when I read to him. He is pretty alert/ attentive these days when he is awake. We sing too. (when nobody else is around).

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think reading to new infants is worthwhile. It introduces them to language cadence and can get parents talking who might otherwise feel uncomfortable talking to a baby, or who might run out of things to say. Singing is great too...I sang to my babies ALL the time, no matter who was around. I don't have a great singing voice, but kids don't care.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    I think reading to new infants is worthwhile. It introduces them to language cadence and can get parents talking who might otherwise feel uncomfortable talking to a baby, or who might run out of things to say. Singing is great too...I sang to my babies ALL the time, no matter who was around. I don't have a great singing voice, but kids don't care.

RCW is absolutely right! Reading to infants is not a waste of time - if anything, it gets you into a routine of reading to your baby. Besides - they just LOVE hearing your voice.

DS loves it when my SO and I sing to him - he just hasn't figured out that I'm a crappy singer and SO is pretty much tone-deaf.

I don't know anything about how to make your child smarter - all I do is play and talk to DS all day and let him explore things on his own, all while keeping a watchful eye on him so that he doesn't eat a fistful of dirt!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    I don't know about IQ,but I read to my kids from the time they were small and they all read early and were very bright :)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file