Nursery Furniture?

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
I'm researching nursery furniture and trying to decide what to register for, and I could use some tips.

I definitely want to get a crib that converts to toddler bed and then full-sized bed. We have a full-sized mattress and box-spring in great condition, so when the baby's ready, we plan to have him keep the same furniture.

I initially intended to get a combo dresser/changing table, but now I'm not so sure. If the baby's going to keep the same furniture through his childhood, I definitely want a dresser that will work for a "big boy" or teenager as well. My sister has this for my nephew:

7F2.jpg

which will flip over to become a "regular" chest of drawers when she no longer needs it as a changing table, like this:

8F2.jpg

I would just get the same one, but the only store that sells that furniture line is about 50 miles away so I'd hate to drive all the way out there and then not love it. Plus, I don't love the coordinating crib.

My other concern for a changing table is the height. I'm only 4'10", and my sister (who is 5'1") said I definitely should get something that's not too high. Hers is I think 34.5" high and most of the ones I see online are higher than that - high 30's or 40 inches.

I'm somewhat open to getting a separate dresser and changing table, if I see a set that I love and the changing table is a good height.

I'm registering at Babies R Us and haven't seen anything on there that seems PERFECT (especially difficult since they don't list dimensions).

I think that's all for now... if anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I just got a regular dresser and bought a separate changing pad. I felt better moving the pad to the flor once Elise was more mobile and able to flip herself anyway. Check out regular furniture, you may find something you like. That way you are free to shop for the crib separately from the other furniture. The tricky part will be making sure the finishes match, but so many differnt furnitures have different finishes available that are fairly close.

I hope I didn't just make this harder than it should be. :lol: Basically I am saying do not feel like you are limited to "baby" furniture, especially if you want the pieces to grow with your son. :)
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I just have a regular, non-spectacular dresser for baby's clothes, diapers etc. and will use changing pads to change. Most of my friends and relatives found change tables or furniture that incorporates them to be an unnecessary expense and hassle - it is a good place to save money.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Be careful with the convertable cribs. Many of them have a fold-over side that creates a horizontal line that babies use to vault themselves out of the crib before you are ready for them to do that...and once they get out, there's really no keeping them in. Also, if you get a convertible crib and convert it to a bed for your toddler, and then have another baby, what are you going to use for the new baby? I always just got a regular crib and bought beds for them as needed. Cheaper.

Also, since you're vertically-challenged, you might consider getting a foam mattress, rather than a spring mattress. You will often have to take the entire mattress out of the crib to change it and those spring mattresses are HEAVY! A good-quality foam mattress only weighs about 5 pounds...instead of 50 pounds. I think Collegiate is the manufacturer of good-quality foam mattresses, although I couldn't find them online when I just checked, so maybe they've been sold or renamed or something. Don't buy a cheapie foam mattress, though, because it won't last. A good crib mattress, either foam or spring, will cost about $100.

You can use the top of any dresser for a changing table. Just buy a contoured pad for on top.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Pixie, I have almost exactly that dresser that you posted. The only difference is that mine is 3 full drawers. I love it. I don't think it was a waste of money since it was around the same price that a similar dresser without a changing table would have cost. I like it because I don't have a separate piece of furniture as the changing table. I think mine and my crib were made by Baby's Dream. All of their pieces sort of coordinate with each other so you should be able to find a crib that you like there.

I can't speak to your height but I think you would be able to change diapers easily on it.

I was very displeased with the BRU selection. What I could find that I liked was offered at irrational prices for a not even born yet person. I found a nice locally run place that had much better prices and selection. See if you can find something similar.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    DA - that piece is Baby's Dream! It's the "Generation Next" Collection. I definitely find the height comfortable when I change or help change my nephew. I don't love the Generation Next crib, but they do have others that would probably coordinate okay. My sister didn't remember how much the Baby's Dream stuff cost, do you remember an approximate price range?

RCW - I definitely considered just getting a regular crib to use for the next baby, but had the following reservations: (1) we definitely PLAN to have more babies, but we don't know that we will be able to for sure and (2) what if baby #1 is still in his crib when baby #2 comes? I'd like space them around 2 years apart, and my nephew is still in his crib at 26 months.
    Thanks for the tip about the foam mattress!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    I don't remember very well what the cost was but I am fairly certain that both pieces were under $500.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I don't remember very well what the cost was but I am fairly certain that both pieces were under $500.

Thanks!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Pixie, I am not sure if you remember the store "Great Beginnings" in Gaithersburg--off of 355 between Gaithersburg and Germantown--that is where I found my mattress. I actually returned the spring one our in-laws purchased (they bought the crib). The spring one weighs 30 lbs (which doesn't sound like much, but it's bulky), vs. the foam, which weighs just 6 and makes life WAY easier when you change the sheets. My husband gave me crap for being "ungrateful" and making my father-in-law return the mattress, but I am happy I made the call instead of trying to be a people pleaser. :lol:

http://www.greatbeginnings.net/html/mattresses.htm

I think newer cribs drop via plastic sliding grooves on either side of the rail (and you have to push it in from the outside to get it unlocked) vs. folding over.
    gemini - I don't remember that store (didn't really have babies on the brain when I lived there :lol:) but you and RCW definitely have me sold on a foam mattress. I'm small and weak so the lighter weight is definitely appealing to me!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead

YES! That's the mattress...it's Colgate, not Collegiate. Great mattress, and very light. It will last you through many babies. Babies don't need springs anyway.
    I only knew it because we used to always get food from the Jamaican restaurant in the same strip mall--it's in kind of a "dead" looking shopping center that's in bad need of an update. Every time my husband and I went, we were like "Great Beginnings, hmmm...how does that place stay in business?" Once we became parents, we found out (and I went there because that was the only place I could find that sold the foam mattress). That place has anything you would need for a kid, from every kind of breast pump, to furniture, to strollers, to clothes! :lol: They are doing okay, evidently!
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I got a regular dresser and a changing pad to go on top. But I really only changed him there for the first few months. Then it was on the bed, on the floor, anywhere but there. I would not buy a changing table.

Consider that if you have another baby about 2 years later, new baby will probably not sleep in the crib for a good few months or even longer. Most people prefer having a newborn in a bassinette near their bed.

Oh - bassinettes are cute but also not too practical. I think a Pack N Play that has a bassinette attachement is a better bet. You can use one of those for up to 2 years on trips so if you think you will be doing any traveling it's a good buy.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Geeky - that's exactly what I am doing - a pack and play beside my bed and for travelling!

Here's a question - is it worth having two of those? I am thinking of getting another to keep downstairs for when I am home in the day with baby/take to my parents' when they are watching baby, so I don't have to keep carrying the upstairs one all over.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

I think a Pack N Play that has a bassinette attachement is a better bet.

I agree. I wanted to do this, but had to get a little bassinet anyway, because the pack n play was too massive in our bedroom. It's a townhouse, so even the master bedrooms aren't exactly spacious. Also, try to see if there is a baby/toddler focused consignment shop in your area. That is where I bought bassinet and glider/rocker and it's a good place to sell your maternity stuff or baby related items if you get don't want or need them and don't want to dealw ith the hassle of trying to sell them yourself.

ETA: Amneris, we kept the pack n play downstairs in the living area when Elise was really small (maybe until she was 5 mos. old?). Carrying that up and down the stairs would be a major hassle, especially once you see how the bassinet is set up. Now the pack n play is stored and brought out only for overnight trips away from home. I would get a smaller bassinet for the bedroom and sell it/store it for when the baby is old eneough to sleep in the crib. Or just co-sleep. :wink:
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    P N P's are pricey. Maybe get a moses basket so baby can nap in it while wee, then later you can keep a swing or bouncer downstairs.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Just a tip on Pack N Plays...Even after you are done using it for a newborn, if you have your baby nap in it frequently, then when you go on a trip, the baby will be very used to it and will settle down to sleep easily no matter where you are.
    Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still sort of leaning toward the dresser/changer combo in my first post, because I know the height is good for me (have used it with my nephew) and because it eliminates the need for a separate dresser. So, I don't look at it as an unnecessary expense because I'd have to get a dresser anyways.

geeky - my sister started putting my nephew in his crib right away when he was born. The nursery is right next to our room and we'll have a recliner in there, so I was planning on just keeping him in his own room and resting in the recliner with him if need be. I know I certainly don't have to do everything exactly as my sister did, but it seems like it would work for us. If not, we are getting a Pack N Play so we can always put that in our room in the beginning if we decide we'd rather have him in our room with us.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I opted not to get a changing table because I knew I would never use it. I just change him on the couch or floor or bed or lap just where ever we are. However if I were to use a changing table I would just use a regular dresser and get one of those changing pads to put on it.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
    I called the place an hour away that carries the Baby's Dream furniture, and it is MUCH more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm thinking we might just get a crib (convertible or otherwise) and use a dresser that we currently have in a guest room, and get a changing pad for on top of the dresser. The dresser is nice and low, around 30", a great height for me.

Next question... any good recs for a changing pad?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401445&fromRegistryNumber=56042155&product_skn=359238

This is the one we have. I would HIGHLY suggest getting 2 covers. There where many times Steven made a mess and i could have one on the pad and one in the washer.

I did not want a changing table. MIL found one on clearnace for $17 that is a dresser, it does not match the rest of his room, but we spent WAY more on the crib than expected, so i am planning on getting him an actual dresser this coming year. This way i will pack up the one we have that i don't like to use next time around.

I LOVE my pack n play. We used that exclusively for a while in our room and for trips. My mom bought her own a few months ago since we are there so much, she just keeps it up in the guest room.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    Thanks deezee!

Oh, and I'm a huge moron. I just realized that we have a headboard for a full-sized bed in our garage. So I suppose I really don't need a convertible crib - maybe just one that converts to a toddler bed for the in-between stage.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Just a tip on Pack N Plays...Even after you are done using it for a newborn, if you have your baby nap in it frequently, then when you go on a trip, the baby will be very used to it and will settle down to sleep easily no matter where you are.

We've been using a P&P for DS since he was born - mostly because we're still in a one bedroom suite. He naps in it during the day and sleeps in it at night. He's VERY used to sleeping in it.

We have one at my parents' place too - and he sleeps well in that one too.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    I know I keep popping in :lol:...but dee is right, get two changing pad covers. Another helpful item is waterproof pads, so you don't have to change the covers so often. That way you can just put the pad on top and throw that in the wash instead of washing covers constantly (because even without "accidents" stuff will get on them).

Changing pad:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1183240235/ref=sr_1_1/601-9489218-4813704?ie=UTF8&asin=B00067MVRC

waterproof pads

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1183240369/ref=sr_1_1/601-9489218-4813704?ie=UTF8&asin=B0001YIAIO
    I have the same changing pad as Deezee. I initially had two covers for it so that I always had a spare. Somewhere along the way I got lazy and stopped putting them on. Now I just wipe down the plastic. Covers don't appear to be all that essential.

• curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Mine was also plastic - and had a very colourful pattern on it. Eventually, DS was so fascinated by the pattern, he would always flip over onto his tummy while I tried to change him. :roll: Now I just change him on the floor.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • bandladybandlady Registered Users Posts: 183
    My sister bought an armoire (sp) and used it for a changing table and my niece will be able to use it in her room as furniture later on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file