Disappointed in my midwife (Update)

medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
I went for my weekly checkup today and as we discussed my fast approaching due date, she said, "well, at your next visit, we can move things along if you'd like." I asked her if she was referring to stripping my membranes. She said yes. I said hell no. Okay, not in those words. But really, I think they have been sharing the practice a little too long with the OBs. Then she suggested the old standby, sex.

I told her I went a week past my EDD with both my kids. I'm fine with waiting. All I did was complain a little about my slightly swollen ankles. No need to "move things along" for me. :roll: :lol:

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    As long as she wasn't pressuring you, I think she was just trying to help. I imagine a lot of women aren't as patient as you and want help in "moving things along" a little faster.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Break out the castor oil...
    you know I tease...

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Okay, a week from this Saturday, I will make the infamous eggplant parm dish. I'll let you know how it goes. :wink:
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Registered Users Posts: 335
    Fresh pineapple and raspberry leaf tea, and evening primrose oil on the cervix!
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Bailey422 wrote:
    As long as she wasn't pressuring you, I think she was just trying to help. I imagine a lot of women aren't as patient as you and want help in "moving things along" a little faster.

That what I was thinking too. At least I hope that's how it is. Eggplant parm? Never had it, is it a spicy dish?
    Bailey422 wrote:

That what I was thinking too. At least I hope that's how it is. Eggplant parm? Never had it, is it a spicy dish?

This recipe calls for a little bit of a kick. After the 4th I don't have much going on, so I will try some non-invasive natural induction methods.
    I know, it's been only two days past my due date but I can tell already that
    I will have to endure a week of prodromal labor hell, like my last two pregnancies. I was up with contractions 7-10 minutes apart from 12am-3am this morning. Then they went away. Why does my body do this? It's hard to get around sometimes because of the pain. It seems physical activity makes them worse. But I refuse to lay around the house waiting to go into labor. :?

If I'm still in prodromal labor by next Thursday (41w2d), I'm going to take my midwife up on her suggestion and will let her sweep my membranes. But I am really hoping the baby comes by next Tuesday. I've never gone later than a week post date. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks!
  • KristaRoseKristaRose Registered Users Posts: 546
    Break out the castor oil...
    Code:
    you know I tease...

Oh my gosh. I did this. Why oh why? I'm ill remembering. And my daughter just turned 15. Shudder.
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    medussa wrote:
    I went for my weekly checkup today and as we discussed my fast approaching due date, she said, "well, at your next visit, we can move things along if you'd like." I asked her if she was referring to stripping my membranes. She said yes. I said hell no. Okay, not in those words.

What is stripping the membranes? Sounds scary...
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    What is stripping the membranes? Sounds scary...

Stripping membranes can only be done if the cervix is dilated a few centimeters. The midwife does a pelvic exam and inserts a finger into the cervix and tries to separate (strip) the membranes from the inner edges of the uterus by running her finger around edge...like dialing a phone. It's a bit uncomfy. Supposedly, stripping the membranes will help bring on labor sooner...doesn't always work.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Thanks...if I am ever pregnant, I am going to skip "stripping the membranes".
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    I think it if it comes down to having to be induced (heaven forbid), I will opt for stripping of the membranes over rupturing of the sac or cervidil/cytotec.

They will not let me go past July 17th. I have another BPP on Monday afternoon.
  • missmoniemissmonie Registered Users Posts: 920
    oh gosh....I've had two babies and I never heard of "stripping the membranes". i hope your little one decides to come naturally. wishing you a natural and safe delivery!!
    4a: Combo of tight coils and waves; Last relaxer - 11/05 (LC - 4/07) - http://public.fotki.com/missmonie/ - updates as of Mar '09

Products: Trader Joe's condish * Giovanni Direct Leave in * Fantasia Gel or KCCC for curl definition * Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Cream as moisturizer

comic-p.jpg
    medussa wrote:
    I think it if it comes down to having to be induced (heaven forbid), I will opt for stripping of the membranes over rupturing of the sac or cervidil/cytotec.

Cytotec? :shock:
    medussa wrote:

Yes, they use it in small doses, to induce labor in full term pregnancies (much larger doses to terminate a pregnancy in the first or second trimester).
    medussa wrote:
    medussa wrote:

Yes, they use it in small doses, to induce labor in full term pregnancies (much larger doses to terminate a pregnancy in the first or second trimester).

I thought it was no longer recommended to use Cytotec because of side effects. Isn't there a crazy high incidence of c sections with it's use?
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    medussa wrote:
    medussa wrote:

I thought it was no longer recommended to use Cytotec because of side effects. Isn't there a crazy high incidence of c sections with it's use?

IC, it was NEVER recommended to use Cytotec in labor. Cytotec is NOT FDA approved for use in labor. In fact, it is contraindicated in pregnant women and both the FDA and the drug's manufacturer urge OBs NOT to use Cytotec.

It does have potentially dangerous side effects and is typically no longer used in women doing VBAC because of the high rate of uterine ruptures. When a drug is prescribed "off-label" like this (ie it is not approved by the FDA for that purpose), the patient is basically a guinea pig. The only reason they found out it was dangerous in VBAC patients was because of how many women's uteri ruptured, not because of clinical trials. So what dangerous side effects in laboring women have still not been discovered because there have not been clinical trials? How many other women will be hurt because their doctor never told them this was an off-label use of the drug and that they were, in effect, being experimented on? Something to think about.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    Yes, it is prescribed off-label. It was prescribed for me in January 2006 and it's the only reason I know anything about it. It was very effective for me. They probably don't prescribe it as much in full-term women, for the reasons Iris mentioned. Most likely the drug of choice is Cervidil. I just don't want to be in the position to find out what is used.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    medussa wrote:
    Yes, it is prescribed off-label. It was prescribed for me in January 2006 and it's the only reason I know anything about it. It was very effective for me. They probably don't prescribe it as much in full-term women, for the reasons Iris mentioned. Most likely the drug of choice is Cervidil. I just don't want to be in the position to find out what is used.

I've seen it prescribed to full-term women many times and not once have I heard a doctor explain that the drug was off-label, and what that means. Just one of the many things that upsets me about the obstetrical culture here.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    iris427 wrote:
    medussa wrote:

I've seen it prescribed to full-term women many times and not once have I heard a doctor explain that the drug was off-label, and what that means. Just one of the many things that upsets me about the obstetrical culture here.

My perinatologist was very upfront about what she was doing and why. When she was prescribing it to me, she wrote the script in such a way, that it wasn't obvious it was being used in a way not approved by the FDA. She told me she was doing it that way because some pharmacies might refuse to fill the prescription because of their personal beliefs. So I knew it was being used off-label. What I didn't know much about were the potential complications. But I did extensive research on my own, so I was well-informed before I took my first dose, the following evening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file