anyone using this on their children?

scasescase Registered Users Posts: 17
I have the book and have read it. I am starting this on my 8 1/2 year old daughter. Last night I took a trip to Walmart and bought some Suave conditioner. I looked at some of the recommended ones and could hardly find one without "cones" in them. I also choose not to use Propylene Glycol and it was in most of them too. Last night I clarified her hair using lemon juice. Her hair was really soft this morning.

Two years ago I had my daughter's hair relaxed and then touched up only once several months later. The stylist was very careful not to damage her hair and it really wasn't board straight but more manageable. If my daughter had it to do over again she would have it straight partly I am sure because I have straight red hair. She is biracial with hair from type 3A underneath to 3C about mid head up. I wouldn't be surprised if she has some 4 mixed in on top cause of the fuzziness. Her hair has changed in the last year and her curls on top are less defined if defined at all. I also noticed that when we wash it that it never really feels wet on the top section of hair and it literally dries in seconds without a towel or anything. Why is that?

My hopes are that her curls return and her hair becomes easier to care for than it has been. We have also installed a water softener which I would recommend to anyone with hard water. We are going on a week and a half and I have noticed a big difference in her hair. I also hope that I can help my daughter to embrace her beautiful hair and not use such dangerous chemical's to relax it.

One question I have is, what leave in conditioners would someone recommend? Last night I used some Carol's Daughter Hair Milk but I thought since it contains shea butter it might build up rather quickly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

Comments

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Which suave conditioners did you check? The naturals are all definitely 'cone free. (And if you see ingredients like methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone, just FYI, those are not silicones. They end in 'one, not 'cone, and are preservatives in a completely unrelated category.)

Also, another cheap brand with popular conditioners is Alberto VO5 - many curlies on here seem to like that brand better.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • scasescase Registered Users Posts: 17
    I bought the toasted vanilla & sugar. The Suave conditioners that I looked at don't contain "cones". The one I bought is the only one that doesn't contain Propylene Glycol. This ingredient is used in anti-freeze, airplane de-icer, and brake fluid. It is used in cosmetics as a delivery vehicle and solvent. When you request the Material Data Safety Sheet on this ingredient it states avoid skin contact. So I have chosen to eliminate that from my home. Check out Search For the Cause and read the Dirty Dozen. These are ingredients we should avoid in our cosmetcs, shampoos, conditioners and etc. I also choose to stay clear of Parabens too.

If I could switch to a more natural organic conditioner I would but I know that would cost quite a bit of cash.

Thanks for the help.

Stephanie
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Registered Users Posts: 755
    Yes, I have switched to CO washing for my 5-year-old daughter. She has LONG, thick, straight hair. It is to the top of her butt. She is definitely NOT a curlie, however, after seeing how much CO washing improved my hair, I began to do it to her. However, we are having fabulous luck w/ the Suave naturals conditioners. Because she has so much hair, it takes a ton to do a thorough CO wash on her. But, she thinks it is a hoot to go to WalMart and be able to pick out five bottles at a time when it is time to restock. The citrus smoothie, ocean breeze, and aloe waterlilly all give particularly beautiful results.

I take her for a trim every six weeks or so. The last time we went, she had no split ends, our stylist was amazed. She was even more blown away when I explained our new routine!
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    Dry and frizzy on top and drying very quickly are signs of protein overload.....you might want to look for a conditioner without proteins for her.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    scase wrote:
    I have the book and have read it. I am starting this on my 8 1/2 year old daughter. Last night I took a trip to Walmart and bought some Suave conditioner. I looked at some of the recommended ones and could hardly find one without "cones" in them. I also choose not to use Propylene Glycol and it was in most of them too. Last night I clarified her hair using lemon juice. Her hair was really soft this morning.

Two years ago I had my daughter's hair relaxed and then touched up only once several months later. The stylist was very careful not to damage her hair and it really wasn't board straight but more manageable. If my daughter had it to do over again she would have it straight partly I am sure because I have straight red hair. She is biracial with hair from type 3A underneath to 3C about mid head up. I wouldn't be surprised if she has some 4 mixed in on top cause of the fuzziness. Her hair has changed in the last year and her curls on top are less defined if defined at all. I also noticed that when we wash it that it never really feels wet on the top section of hair and it literally dries in seconds without a towel or anything. Why is that?

My hopes are that her curls return and her hair becomes easier to care for than it has been. We have also installed a water softener which I would recommend to anyone with hard water. We are going on a week and a half and I have noticed a big difference in her hair. I also hope that I can help my daughter to embrace her beautiful hair and not use such dangerous chemical's to relax it.

One question I have is, what leave in conditioners would someone recommend? Last night I used some Carol's Daughter Hair Milk but I thought since it contains shea butter it might build up rather quickly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephanie

Propylene glycol is considered a safe and appropriate ingredient not just for cosmetic products, but also for ingested products like food and pharmaceuticals. It is on the US Food and Drug Administration's list of ingredients which are Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) and is recognized by the World Health Organization as safe for use.

There have been claims made that propylene glycol is an inappropriate ingredient for cosmetics and foods because it can also be used in products (such as antifreeze) which one would not want to consume. Such observations are well-intended but ultimately not very informative. It is ethylene glycol, for example, which is a more common ingredient in antifreeze and which is, in fact, highly toxic. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) actually recommends the use of propylene glycol-based antifreeze because it is safer than ethylene glycol should pets accidentally ingest it. Simply because propylene glycol has many different applications does not make all the products which contain it the same.
    Another strain of criticism of propylene glycol focuses on what is allegedly disclosed by the ingredient's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). MSDS information can be found on the Internet, but rarely are viewers given any background or context on how to read one. An MSDS is a safety disclosure which instructs manufacturers and shippers on proper procedures for handling ingredients, for treating accidental exposure, and for cleaning up spills. Even the purest ingredients like mint oils have an MSDS. There is usually no single MSDS for an ingredient, but one for each different form or concentration offered by each ingredient supplier. For ingredients which could be shipped in a liquid or solid form, the MSDS for each form may differ significantly and each has little bearing on what properties the ingredient will have when combined with other ingredients into a formulation.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • scasescase Registered Users Posts: 17
    And the US Food & Drug Admin. tells us lots of things are safe to use and won't harm us. Can we trust our government 100%? Are drug companies/scientists lining someones pockets to "get it approved"? Most cancers are caused by environmental hazards and not just genetics. The FDA does not regulate the cosmetic industry and the cosmetic industry may use any product they choose in their product except for a few ingredients that are prohibited by regulation. You can read the FDA Authority Over Cosmetics at the US FDA website. Sorry, I am picky about what I use. Check out the Search for the Cause website or search for your product on the Skin Deep website put together by the Environmential Working Group.

Stephanie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file