Did your feet grow? Did your hair fall out? Skin issues?

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
I just read that sometimes post-pregnancy, your feet can be permanently bigger! Also that some people have hair loss.

I am hoping for neither of these, since I have so many pairs of cute shoes I have never or barely worn and they all match my outfits! And losing hair would just be a nightmare. My feet are starting to get a little swollen, but I can tell it is fluid retention, and it goes and comes. My hair has grown like a weed all pregnancy! If your feet grew, by how much? If your hair fell out, how much and how obvious and when did it start and end?

I know sometimes pregnancy can cause acne and other skin conditions, too. I've been lucky so far, but does this happen post-partum sometimes? How about stretch marks - if I've got this far without them, am I safe, or can I still get them very late in pregnancy or post-partum?

Yes, I know these questions are very vain and superficial compared to growing a life within me, but I'm curious....
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    My feet grew half a size with my second pregnancy. They did not grow with my first.

My stretch marks appeared on Chrsitmas Eve, and Max was born March 6. I did not get any new stretch marks with my second pregnancy.

I may have had minor hair and skin issues, but they haven't remained (my baby's nearly 2 1/2)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Hair...my hair was ultra thick during pregnancy, grew really fast, and hardly any of it shed. I did ALL the shedding afterwards though...starting about about 6-9 months post-partum. It's just the shedding that you haven't done during pregnancy though. I never thought it made my hair thin, but there was GOBS of hair in my shower every day. It eventually levels off to normal.

Feet...yes, my feet grew. I was a size 6 at age 24 before I had any kids, and I'm an 8 now, 20 years later. I don't know exactly when it happened though. They just gradually got bigger. I assume it was from pregnancy.

Stretch marks...no you're not safe. I didn't get them til the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy with my first, and then I got a new one every single day til delivery. Luckily, mine are all below the belly button, concentrated on my lower belly, no where else. I didn't get any more with subsequent pregnancies...I guess I just re-used the ones that I had.

Acne...my skin actually was clearer during pregnancy.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    My feet didn't grow. I was terrified this would happen since I love all of my shoes.

My hair started breaking off when I weaned at around 9 or 10 months. I have a "halo" of fringe as well as these bat wing things at my temple. They are finally blending a little better. I'm not sure when it ended. Maybe sometime this Spring.

I hear a lot of women say that they get stretchmarks in the last 2 to 3 weeks or that they didn't see any until their belly deflated.

I didn't get any postpartum acne or anything.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • jcejce Registered Users Posts: 512 Curl Connoisseur
    My feet didn't grow either. I wore rather supportive (some people have called them orthopedic looking) shoes pretty much throughout, though, so maybe that helped.

I didn't get stretchmarks until about a week before delivery. All below the belly button, like RCW.

I don't remember skin or hair issues, so they must not have been that bad for me.

One thing I did notice after birth was that I got a few skin tags. They are very tiny, and skin colored, so not really obvious, but I notice them when showering.

One other thing, and maybe I was odd on this, but I shrunk in height. When I went for my checkup a year later, I was half an inch shorter. I'm wondering now if i wasn't getting enough calcium or vit. d when nursing. My doctor didn't seem overly concerned, so I guess it's not too big of a problem. I have since upped my calcium intake, since I don't want to get too much shorter as I get older.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    Feet: After my 2 pregnancies, my feet are about 1/2 a size bigger.

Hair: It didn't really fall out, but it did lose a bit of the luster it gained while I was pregnant, but that may be because I am sleep deprived, and that really seems to mess with my whole body.

Skin: I hear because of your hormones fluctuating, skin problems can become a concern, but luckily I haven't experienced any acne, only dark circles! Thank God for good concealer, it's my best friend!

Stretch marks: With the first I got them on my breasts, which were a small B before that went to a DD, my lower back/top of bum from my hips spreading, which WERE non-existant before, and very very low on my abdomen, which I did not see until after I gave birth..noone but my husband sees those places so I was accepting of them, and they faded. I was just happy they weren't all over my stomach! With my second the only new stretch marks I got during the majority of the pregnancy were sort of continuations of the ones on my abdomen which creeped about 1/2 in. further up but still remain covered. I thought I was safe until the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy when I dropped and started to retain a lot of water, I have new ones on my hips and thighs, I hate them. I'm trying to find a way to treat them and if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Your not out of the water yet, but you could be one of the lucky ones. Just keep taking care of yourself, eat well, watch your salt intake. I think heredity plays a small part too.
    .png

.png
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    My feet are a size bigger.

I had pretty bad acne during pregnancy, although it wasn't really new blemishes, just scars that got really, really dark. It pretty much went away after giving birth. (It's back now, but for different reasons).

My hair stayed the same from pre-pregnancy.

My nails grew really long.

I got stretch marks on my arms, but never got them on my stomach, UNTIL my stomach went down. They were invisible until I gave birth. Plus, I had some under by belly that I couldn't see until after my stomach went down. You can't see them now, though because they're almost the same color as my skin with no redness.
    3c/4a
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    My feet never changed in size during or after pregnancy, thank goodness.

I started shedding majorly when DS was about 3 months old. He's now 6 months old, and I think the shedding is finally back to normal. But they say, that's just your "normal" shedding that you didn't have for the 9 months of pregnancy. I didn't have any bald/thin spots or receding hairline, although I'm almost amazed because of how much hair I was losing!

I started getting very slight stretch marks on my belly at around 34 weeks. But I swear, the last 2 weeks (past his due date) were the worst. I think my stretch marks doubled during that time. :evil: You might not notice them until after the baby is born--I didn't realize I had so many while I was pregnant. They have faded a lot by now, at least.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Feet are wider. Not sure if they are bigger - I haven't purchased new shoes as yet.

Fallen arches

Shrunk. Although I do grow when I do yoga, so it's probably just a matter of my spine and posture

my hair was a wreck during pregnancy - tangly dry and coarse. now less so.

nails are stronger/longer but I'm now starting to see some breakage

stretch marks are only on my thighs.

dark circles around the eyes, but that's probably because of sleep

off balance
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    My feet grew a little, but not enough to need new shoes. I didn't get stretch marks unti the very end and noticed some more after I delivered.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
    Feet are wider. Not sure if they are bigger - I haven't purchased new shoes as yet.

Fallen arches

Shrunk. Although I do grow when I do yoga, so it's probably just a matter of my spine and posture

my hair was a wreck during pregnancy - tangly dry and coarse. now less so.

nails are stronger/longer but I'm now starting to see some breakage

stretch marks are only on my thighs.

dark circles around the eyes, but that's probably because of sleep

off balance

I've noticed this, too. I'm completely off balance most of the time. I feel so clumsy and awkward. Maybe my center of gravity is off? :?:
    3c/4a
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    My feet went up 1/2 a size during the first pregnancy, and stayed there. During pregnancy they were wide, but went back down afterward.

I'm sure I lost hair after the hormones balanced out (around 3-6 months), but I cut it all off 2 weeks before my 1st was born. With my daughter it grew in long and beautiful, and I had it cut a month after she was born to shoulder length. With the last, I cut it off about the time I got pg with him, so it was very short again. Something about that testosterone had me cutting my hair!

Stretch marks: I'm a road map from above the belly button down to upper thighs. With each pregnancy I was stretched differently, with stretch marks to match. With the boys I stretched all around, so I had marks on my thighs, lower abdomen, and hips. With my daughter I went straight out, so that added more to the lower abdomen and all the ones above the belly button. They came all through the pregnancy. Also, after they're out and the skin isn't so taut I saw more. They were bright pink at first, but now they're faded to white. Even though I weigh a lot less than at the end of the pregnancies, every once in a while a stretch mark will open up a little bit. The skin is a lot thinner and softer on them so I think they're easily damaged.

I had that trail of coarse hair from the belly button down with all of them. I still get a stray hair in that area. It happens to follow the c-section line, too. (Vertical scar on skin, horizontal on uterus).

I don't consider these concerns to be superficial or vain at all. The skin issues are very much tied into my self image. Certain shorts and definitely swim suits reveal the stretch marks on my thighs; there isn't a comfortable way around it for me.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Cynaminbear, I agree, this is important stuff.

But so many people say things like "Oh well, once you have your baby in your arms it's all worth it" or "You'll be too tired to care how you look", thus minimizing the issue.

I'm very surprised no one has said that yet on this thread.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    My hair did come out, but very gradually, over time. I nursed my kids for more than a year, so I didn't notice huge clumps coming out in the shower.

My feet stayed the same. No stretch marks or skin problems. But hey, I just jinxed myself. Let's talk in the fall. :lol:
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    :lol:@medussa Aren't you due VERY soon?

Linea nigra stuck around for about a year on me. It got gradually lighter, and now it has completely faded.

I shed a lot of hair starting about 2 mos. before I fully weaned my daughter (nursed for a year). In fact, I got my hair chopped because I couldn't stand all the fuzzies I had on top of my ead any time I wore my hair pulled back.

I have stretch marks on my belly, but they match my skin and are the slightly indented kind. You don't see them unless you look very closely. I also got them on the underside of my thighs, but you would have to know me well to see those. :lol: My legs and butt got way big and I didn't realize that until well after I had my daughter and tried slipping into some non meternity pants that I had bought while pregnant (they were drawstring pants that were wearable at the time. Well, I thought I could use them again last summer, but no, they were HUGE.) Even if people claimed I was "all belly," it wasn't true!

Supportive shoes are very important. I fit in the same shoes as before I was pregnant, but because I spent most of the summer pregnant and in flip flops, my already low arches went flat. Short term 40 lb weight gain and flip flops=bad for your feet.

I gained a band size in my bras, but my cup size went back down to the pre-pregnancy size once I was done nursing. I was a 34C pre-pregnancy, a 36D while nursing and a 36C now.

I fit all of my pre-pregnancy wardrobe clothes, shoes included. I just need to get back to the gym to truly be "fit" again.
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    Hmm...

Hair is definitely thicker during pg (it's probably even more evident with curly hair), and sheds like mad starting around 3 months (also probably more evident with curly hair, since it tends to only come out in the shower).

Feet seemed to 'grow' - i.e. even after the swelling left they seemed bigger...but I was back in the same size at most a year later. (It's hard to tell when you live in flip flops and birks, tho.)

Skin actually got better during pg (well, except for the hives I had the first 3 months with DD :shock: ) and gradually went back to normal (i.e. occasional pimples) afterwards.

No stretch marks with DD or this one - so far - but I think that's because my tummy skin was never terribly tight to begin with. :wink:

Anyone else notice a significant short term memory loss? I mean, 'walk into a room and by the time you get there, you forgot why you went there' type of memory loss? That has to be the worst thing (for me, anyhow)...
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
    I forgot about linea nigra! I definitely have that - I didn't realize it could take so long to fade! It doesn't really bother me though - if that's the worse there is, I am OK with that. I'm still in denial about what could happen to the breasts.

I have noticed my memory is a little more spacey lately... I hope it doesn't get worse!

.png

534Pm5.png

• MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    Amneris wrote:

But so many people say things like "Oh well, once you have your baby in your arms it's all worth it" or "You'll be too tired to care how you look", thus minimizing the issue.

Seriously. It seems like so many people don't realize how much your image can affect your self-esteem. It's a huge deal to me, and I'm glad you asked about it.

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I agree--people should not be so dismissive. If you care about your appearance and well-being BEFORE the baby, it's not a bad thing to be concerned about AFTER. :)
    Amneris wrote:

I didn't say it, because I really don't agree with that. Stretchmarks may seem worth it when you're holding an adorable bundle in your arms, but when that bundles grows into a sometimes-snotty 15 year old, I've had my doubts about the worth of those stretchmarks. Right now, I'm really trying to lose weight, so I can have tummy tuck surgery. My breasts made it through 4 pregnancies just fine, but my belly is ruined. It hangs, like an empty udder, and I need to have it whacked off. Were they worth it? Most days I think, yes, some days, no. I chose my path though, so it's not their fault.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Note: I didn't know the sex of my baby but everyone "told' me that it had to be a girl b/c she was stealing my beauty --- I have to agree that I looked a hot mess when pregnant. No glow for me.

Feet- I had terrible swelling and couldn't wear shoes the last month of pregnancy. I had wide feet anyway. Now I cannot wear anything that is strappy or cute. I too had many cute shoes, I just went out and bought new ones to match my new feet.

Hair - my hair was fuzzy, stringy during pregnancy. It grew like a weed though. When I was done, it was half way down my back. I did have some breakage around the temples but I just use hair product to slick it down now.

Nails - the first time in life that I had long nails naturally. Afterward, they were weak as ever

Skin - I was one of the unlucky ones. I had horrible dry skin resulting in dark dry spots. It was definitely a mask. I religiously put expensive lubricants on my belly. I was so proud of my non-stretchmarked belly. After birth, when my tummy went down, I saw a few on my lower belly. They were not very noticeable this time and for some reason, they don't bother me. I really think a lot of it has to do with genetics and body type.

Good luck.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    My feet did not grow.

During pregnancy, my hair growth slowed way down. It was nice not to have to shave that often...I've never had smooth legs for more than a day. My hair did shed starting around 3 or 4 months post partum. I lost a lot but nobody could tell but me.

I had gorgeous skin during pregnancy...now I'm back to my old skin. Sigh... I ended up getting stretch marks the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. They are from my belly button and lower. Sometimes they look like they are fading but other times they are very prominent.

Right now I have one breast that is bigger than the other from nursing. I'm hoping this goes back to normal after I quit nursing. It doesn't bother me except when i wear a tank top or a top that is very fitted...I notice it. My right breast is about a cup size bigger than my left.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Note: I didn't know the sex of my baby but everyone "told' me that it had to be a girl b/c she was stealing my beauty --- I have to agree that I looked a hot mess when pregnant. No glow for me.
    That's interesting. When I was pg with my boys, I took on a definite masculine appearance. With my daughter, I was very feminine and girly looking.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    My feet did not grow - but man did they swell up something fierce for the first week or so post partum. They looked like Fred Flinstone's feet!!!

For me - I obviously didn't have a huge belly - so no stretch marks.

My hair has been a PITA to deal with ever since 6 weeks post partum. It's shedding everywhere and on everyone. I have a halo of fuzz and regrowth.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    My feet didn't really grow or swell. I wore an 8 1/2 or 9 depending on the shoe & now go for 9's most of the time.

My hair grew & was a lot thicker (scary thought as it's already pretty thick) & fell out up until 5 or so months PP.

My skin had a break out in my 1st trimester & then it was smooth sailing. If anything it was a bit more dry during the winter & normal in the spring/summer after she was born.

Since she was so big I did have stretch marks which have faded considerably. I had the linea nigra but it faded really quckly. I have a small unraised mole on my stomach which got really dark when I was pregnant & has stayed dark.
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I don't remember what all effects I had with DD, that was 12 years ago.

This time with DS, I didn't get stretch marks (had him at 32 weeks so that probably didn't happen yet, though my stomach measured 40 weeks.)

I didn't notice any changes really with the hair, I was growing it out again anyway, and I think vitamins help with that. I have noticed a "halo" on top, but it never really got thick all over.. I do notice the sprouts or halo hairs are curlier (and grayer!!)

No premanent change in shoe size. I was able to wear my rings the whole time too.

At 4.5 months post delivery, the linea nigra is almost completely faded, and I didn't get the "mask of pregnancy" discoloration on my face. No better or worse skin/breakouts than what I've always had.

I just recently stopped nursing, and boobs like pretty much like they did pre-pregnancy. DH wishes I'd kept the larger, fuller size, but I'm just happy they're not sagging to my belly :lol:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    Spider, that's encouraging about the boobs! I can still wear my rings too. The only swelling I have is in my feet, which has got pretty noticeable this week. I can't wear any shoes with straps or any part of the shoe across the top of the foot, so that only leaves ballet flats, flip flops and thongs. Can I do anything about this? My linea nigra keeps getting darker and it is very crooked - is anyone else's like that?

.png

534Pm5.png

Can I do anything about this?

Yes...wear support pantyhose. They really help with lower extremity swelling...and help prevent varicose veins too.
    Amneris wrote:
    Spider, that's encouraging about the boobs! I can still wear my rings too. The only swelling I have is in my feet, which has got pretty noticeable this week. I can't wear any shoes with straps or any part of the shoe across the top of the foot, so that only leaves ballet flats, flip flops and thongs. Can I do anything about this? My linea nigra keeps getting darker and it is very crooked - is anyone else's like that?

I've had a linea nigra my whole life, even when I was a toddler (wierd, huh?), so I'm not sure how soon after birth it goes away or fades. Mine has actually lightened a bit since having a child; it's was actually darker when I was a little girl, but it's still there.
    3c/4a
    Can I do anything about this?

Yes...wear support pantyhose. They really help with lower extremity swelling...and help prevent varicose veins too.

No varicose veins luckily.... but support pantyhose wouldn't really work in the heat with strappy or open shoes, would they?

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    No varicose veins luckily....

Varicose veins often don't show up til you're older, after the babies are kids. The damage is often done in pregnancy though, and it's cumulative.

The culprit is relaxin, a hormone. Relaxin affects smooth muscle (which is what lines our hollow organs...like the uterus), and our bodies make more of it during pregnancy, which is what keeps us from ejecting our fetuses too soon. Relaxin also affects the smooth muscle of the digestive system and the insides of our blood vessels, but it doesn't affect everyone the same. That's why some women experience heartbearn and some don't. Some have varicose veins and some don't. If you've got swollen feet during pregnancy, then you are one of the women more at risk of developing varisose veins later. I know you're anti-hosiery, but the more you can do to keep the veins from overly-distending now, the better. Just saying...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file