Mane 'n Tail Conditioner?

MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
In search of a cheap, thick, CG conditioner, I stumbled upon this in my local department store and decided to try it (it's for human use as well as horses). I only used it once so far, but it detangled my hair pretty well and didn't smell bad at all. It has proteins, but I hope this will help my hair become moisturized and healthy. At 32 ounces for $6, it was reasonable. :)

Mane 'n Tail Conditioner ingredients:

Water; Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate; Distearyldimonium Chloride; Stearyl Alcohol; Emulsifying Wax NF; Cetyl Alcohol; Coconut Oil; Glycerine; Vegetable Oil; Fragrance; Phenoxyethanol; Methylparaben; Sodium Chloride; Hydrolyzed Protein; Propylparaben; Lanolin; FD&C Yellow #5

Has anyone else tried this? If so, I'm curious to know what you thought of it. :)
2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.

Comments

• DitdahDitdah Posts: 151Registered Users
    I haven't used it myself, but when I worked in a retail pharmacy we sold the stuff like crazy - had a hard time keeping it in stock. And yes, we stocked it right next to the "normal" shampoos and conditioners. It must be pretty good - we sold more of it than the expensive stuff!
    2B/3A, THICK. CG since 6/5/07
    Alternating Deva LoPoo/VO5 Kiwi Lime, OneC, re:coil, Alagio Curl Cream, LTW, LOOB.
    Always looking to buy/swap for re:coil, Deva Brown stuff
    PW: hair
  • ttripleblondettripleblonde Posts: 300Registered Users
    Does it define curls? How well does it moisturize?

I've been thinking about buying it, but since I love to experiment I can't have the same conditioner for more than a month because I want a change. And I'm almost inclined to pour it down the sink. :twisted:
    3a/3b Mod CG
    CURRENTLY EXPERIMENTING!

excited2buy:Hello Hydration CO & LOOB

Owner Of CG Recipe Website: www.freewebs.com/triplecurl
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The emulsifying wax would keep it from being CG. There was a thread awhile back on this and for the most part, it got a thumbs down.
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The emulsifying wax would keep it from being CG. There was a thread awhile back on this and for the most part, it got a thumbs down.

Gasp! Emulsifying wax isn't CG? :shock: Does it need a sulfate 'poo to get rid of it? I've been using Suave Lavender and Lilac to clarify lately anyway (pre-CG -xane, hard water, etc)... :P
    I can't really say how moisturizing or curl-defining it is so far because I'm still pretty new to understanding my hair's needs and I only used it once, but I'm hoping it's good! :)

Haha, I love switching up conditioners, too! I threw out conditioners and products that had nasty 'cones in them, but if I have something that works, it's precious stuff! :lol:
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I don't think this really a wax, and you should have no problems on CG with this ingredient.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=92228&highlight=emulsifying+wax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Brio wrote:
    I don't think this really a wax, and you should have no problems on CG with this ingredient.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=92228&highlight=emulsifying+wax

Thanks, Brio!

So,

Emulsifying wax NF = cetearyl alcohol + polysorbate 60 = CG! Yipee! :D
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I used to like this stuff a long time ago, I think.

I tried it just last year again & it sucked. It was thin & I don't think it gave me any moisturizing or clumping at all. I believe it did give me cotton candy fuzz hair though!
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    Lanolin isn't CG though, unles it's PEG-modified.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    I used Mane 'n Tail today with this routine:

1. Burt's Bees Pom + Soy Shampoo on scalp with VO5 Moisture Milk Co. to protect length
    2. Mane 'n Tail to condition and rinse about 70% out
    3. Scrunch to squeeze out excess moisture then scrunch with T-shirt (no product)
    4. Air-dry

Even though I had my typical coarse surface frizz (ergh), my hair seemed to have a nice sheen. The conditioner's texture seems to be a decent thickness to me; especially versus cheaper, liquid-like conditioners. I'll keep experimenting and hopefully something will work.

That's true, lanolin is a wax... :lol: Oh well. If the buildup can be removed easily, I don't mind.
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    At least it's almost last on the list.
    I'm not sure if mild surfectants will take out lanolin build-up or if it takes a sulfate. I've only used PEG-modified lanolin since I stopped using sulfates regularly.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    meriellyn wrote:
    At least it's almost last on the list.
    I'm not sure if mild surfectants will take out lanolin build-up or if it takes a sulfate. I've only used PEG-modified lanolin since I stopped using sulfates regularly.

Thanks for the info though! :D
    After using Mane 'n Tail Conditioner for about a week, I really like it! It isn't [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Jessicurl's Too Shea[/buylink]!, but it moisturizes and gives a nice shine.

I only have to use one styling product (got2b Spiked Up Gel, which I like so far) to control frizz as well. I haven't been worrying about the lanolin because I use Suave Naturals Lavender and Lilac Shampoo and the lemon-aid rinse sometimes to clarify. I'd say it's a smart buy for someone who wants a cheaper, rich conditioner and doesn't mind lanolin, protein or parabens. :)
    This conditioner wasn't what I thought it was. :( I stopped using it for a couple days after I noticed my hair wasn't looking too great.

I think my great results from this condish came from the lemon-aid rinse I used (shampooed scalp before that) before each use. The lemon (sometimes lime) juice probably helped prevent any buildup from happening while keeping the hair clean and the cuticle sealed, but unfortunately, it takes more time than I would like. My hair started to separate into skinnier waves than usual after stopping the lemon-aid. Agh. I'm not sure if it was the proteins, lanolin, or both. I clarified with a sulfate shampoo and am experimenting with protein-free, CG conditioners.

Hope this helped anyone interested in Mane 'n Tail! :lol:
  • asleep to audioasleep to audio Posts: 2,085Registered Users
    I didn't like this either. At first I thought it was fine, but then my hair started to feel very coated and odd. At least it was only $6.

CoN green, HE hello hydration, burt's bees super shiny condish, & KCCC.

mostly 3b, mod CG

Smiles are free, so give them away.

Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet, for certain.
    I didn't like this either. At first I thought it was fine, but then my hair started to feel very coated and odd. At least it was only $6.

Exactly!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file