Overnight DT & Sunscreen recs

jennifermcbjennifermcb Posts: 10Registered Users
I'd like to try some type of overnight conditioner. What are some great recommendations?

Also I'm headed to the beach next week and would like some recommendations for a sunscreen type conditioner. thanks!

Comments

• HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    For an overnight treatment I usually oil (johaba for light and coconut for heavier) and braid it up, then rinse the next morning. There are also some good recipes in the Curly Girl book!

I'd love to hear some recomendations on the sunscreen for hair too. Anyone?
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    HeatherDawn,

Do you do the oil & braid into dry hair? I've wanted to do a dry-hair overnight DT but thought maybe it has to be on clean wet hair, without any products like my leave-in and gel to get in the way of the oil.

Related question, have you ever tried the heat cap for DTs? I've been meaning to ask about that to see if folks think it's worth getting that micro hair cap or if it's overkill.

By the way, I think you have gorgeous hair. My waves wish they could look like yours! :wink:
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For an overnight DT it's oil, as nothing else needs to stay in my hair that long. Ojon Restorative Hair Treatment if I want to spluge, otherwise a mix of castor and another oild to dilute it (tamanu or jojoba or sapote for now, but I wan to try evoo. I shampoo the next day, not cowash.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ChynnaBlueChynnaBlue Posts: 17Registered Users
    I've tried a few overnight oils, including regular jojoba and Philosophy's Shear Splendor. (You can get Shear Splendor at a Sephora, if you have one near you.) Both work and the Shear Splendor is more expensive, but is smells really yummy. It's got their Lemon Custard scent, which I love.

I'm not a big fan of the overnight oil because I haven't found an easy way to sleep in it. I usually cover my pillow with a soft towel and put a heandband on to keep my bangs up, then cover my head with a plastic showercap. It just doesn't feel good and the showercap usually comes off by morning, which means my face was exposed to the oil. I try to avoid that, since I'm prone to breakouts. So far neither the jojoba nor the Shear Splendor has caused me to breakout, and I know I've woken up with a healthy dose of each on my forehead.

My favorite treatment product right now is Emergencée, by Nexxus. It's a reconstructor and I've had fantastic results with it. A word of caution - this is not a moisturizing treatment. After rinsing it out, your hair will feel like straw, which caused me a panic the first time I used it. As soon as you rinse it out, follow with whatever your favorite deep moisturing conditioner is and you should be fine. It says to use it every two weeks, but I used it two weeks in a row, then dropped back to every other week. My hair feels much healthier now than it did before I started using it.
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    HeatherDawn,

Do you do the oil & braid into dry hair? I've wanted to do a dry-hair overnight DT but thought maybe it has to be on clean wet hair, without any products like my leave-in and gel to get in the way of the oil.

Related question, have you ever tried the heat cap for DTs? I've been meaning to ask about that to see if folks think it's worth getting that micro hair cap or if it's overkill.

By the way, I think you have gorgeous hair. My waves wish they could look like yours! :wink:

:oops: Thanks. :D I often wish I had more actual spirals, but I'm happy with it.

I do shampoo ahead of time and put the oil into clean damp hair. Dry was too much for my hair and it was going to have to shampoo most of it back out again. The braids are more to keep the oil getting all over the bed. I find that my hair creates quite a bit of heat on it's own and were I to put a cap in overnight it would pretty much work like a heated one. I just haven't thought to buy a cap of amy kind yet. :roll: I tend to forget about things like that while chasing my boys around the store! :lol:

Hope that helps!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I start with dry hair, apply jojoba oil from about my ears down, braid (one on each side), then apply a little sweet almond oil to my ends. I do this around dinnertime so it has a bit of time to sink in before I lay down. Then I sleep on it and when I shower, I rinse well and use a non-sulfate 'poo just on my scalp/roots then condition.
    Apply as long before bed as possible for optimal absorption. I've done mine one afternoon and showered it out the following afternoon (I'm not above going to yoga, or even class or the grocery store, with my hair is braids) and by that time it has absorbed so well it's almost disappeared. Then I have no problems just COwashing.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file