CurlTalk

does straight hair suit your face?

Just curious, but when you straighten your hair do you find that your features look...weird? My hair looks nice straight but the look definitely does not suit my face. I've noticed this with naturally curly celebs too. Hm?
2c/3a...very thin and fine... Modified CG (I co-wash everyday)

Suave Naturals Lavender Conditioner
LA Looks Sport Gel
Honey

Comments

• realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    I'm the opposite. I feel like straight hair suits me so well. I feel like curly hair makes my face look less symmetrical or something. I also feel like curly hair doesn't work with all of my clothes if that makes any sense. But curly hair has recently become my full-time look so maybe I just need to get used to it. :?
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,675Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I'm with realistic on this one. I think my curls make my face/features look somehow more angular. My sensibilities tell me that curls should have a softening effect on the face but I just don't see it in myself. Think straight looks better on me.
    3b in South Australia.
  • _Amanda__Amanda_ Posts: 33Registered Users
    Curls suit me the best. Straightening my hair just makes me look odd. I don't feel like myself either when my hair isn't curly.
  • spacegirlspacegirl Posts: 149Registered Users
    Realistic, I know exactly what you mean about curly hair not working with certain clothes. I feel strange if I'm wearing something like khakis and a button down shirt and my hair is long and curly and messy. It doesn't seem to go. As a result, I mostly wear stuff that goes with the hair. It's yet another way my hair rules my life. :roll:

I do think I look good with both curly hair and straight hair though. The straight is more of a novelty for me since I only do it that way a couple of times each year during the cold winter months. I don't even bother trying to mess with nature in the summer. :D
  • fluffywonderdoodlefluffywonderdoodle Posts: 316Registered Users
    Agh... unfortunately, I think straight hair suits my face very well, maybe even better than curly hair. :( Bah! But yes I definitly also feel like sometimes my curls don't go with my clothes, haha! It's weird, but very true.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I think straight hair on me makes me look younger. And weird but I look like I have more hair because it's all flat with no scalp showing through which I reallllllly like. But I dont do it that often (usually when I get my hair cut I will have the stylist do it) because I am sooo inept with the blow dryer/flat iron. It's actually very scary how bad I am with hair styling tools.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I think straight suits me as well as curly, but they're just completely different looks on me.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I honestly don't know if straight hair suits me or not, I just know that I don't like wearing my hair that way!
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    My hair looks best almost straight- straightened with a lot of body and some wave. I don't even bother in the summer, though.

And yeah, if I'm wearing more "conservative" clothing, I tend to put my hair up or straighten. :roll:
  • memesmemes Posts: 785Registered Users
    I've only had my hair truly straightened once and while I thought it looked nice....I just didn't look like me. I think my curly hair is part of my self image and the straight hair just looked odd to me. I also thought that I would have to change my wardrobe and improve my makeup skills if I wore my hair straight...it just seemed to cry out for a more sophisticated look than my usual natural look. On the other hand, I couldn't stop touching it because it felt so smooth and soft!

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Yes, and curly.
    3b-3c CG
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    rosyCurls wrote:
    Just curious, but when you straighten your hair do you find that your features look...weird? My hair looks nice straight but the look definitely does not suit my face. I've noticed this with naturally curly celebs too. Hm?

Not really(straight hair doesnt suit my face). My personal belief is that God knew what he was doing when he made us :D. I do like it for a change though and it does look nicer in different ways(same reason I dye my hair or would get colored contacts), but just doesn't look natural.
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    I do think that straight hair is more flattering to my features, but it is such a pain to straighten my hair. Besides I like the wild look of my curls.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • csbcsb Posts: 225Registered Users
    I think straight hair suits my style better. I dress pretty conservatively (and like it), and curly hair just doesn't look right. I can't wear my hair perfectly straight, though, because I need volume. Somehow I think my curls make me look older (not good on the verge of 41). Maybe if I were more comfortable in funkier clothes, the curls would work better.
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    This is weird, I was thinking about this today. I think I look pretty with straight hair, and really don't like my face with curls. So strange how hair can make your face look so different.

Shame, cos I'm not straightening my hair anymore, so I will have to try to like my look some day. Even when I think my hair looks fab, I don't think it works with my face, somehow! :?
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fzeldagoblin%2F" class="Popup

But then again, too few to mention...
    I wonder how much of this is media pressure. There is so much stuff out there that pushes straight hair to be perceived as "prettier". I like to look "professional", so I wonder if that influences my perception of my curls combined with my conservative clothes. I hate the media and the way they manipulate women's self esteem, yet I may be a pwn to them, too.
  • zeldagoblinzeldagoblin Posts: 575Registered Users
    csb wrote:
    I wonder how much of this is media pressure. There is so much stuff out there that pushes straight hair to be perceived as "prettier". I like to look "professional", so I wonder if that influences my perception of my curls combined with my conservative clothes. I hate the media and the way they manipulate women's self esteem, yet I may be a pwn to them, too.

I agree with you, fashion tells us that straight hair is more desirable. However I don't think a fashion change would make a difference to how I felt personally. I look at the likes of Dina Meyer, SJP, and Julianna Margulies, and love their hair so much, but even if I can get mine to look like theirs, I still prefer my own features when framed by straight hair.
    Here are my curly pics, password is fuzz

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fzeldagoblin%2F" class="Popup

But then again, too few to mention...
    I really think I pulled off curly hair better when I was younger. That could be because I look better with bangs, and bangs and curls don't mix these days. Or it could be that now that my face has more texture (wrinkles) I need less texture elsewhere. Or my hair is just less manageable. Whatever. Straighter seems to work better for me right now.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    csb wrote:
    I really think I pulled off curly hair better when I was younger. That could be because I look better with bangs, and bangs and curls don't mix these days. Or it could be that now that my face has more texture (wrinkles) I need less texture elsewhere. Or my hair is just less manageable. Whatever. Straighter seems to work better for me right now.

YES!! ITA.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Hey, xcptnl, I must have glossed over your previous post. I'm a complete klutz when it comes to styling tools myself. My current routine (which is working well, because I still need volume) is that I wash every other day with Aveda Smooth Infusion shampoo and condition with the Smooth Infusion conditioner. Then I put two dollops of the Aveda Hang Straight in my hair (one on the top, one underneath), rough dry, then put my hair in velcro rollers and leave those in until I get dressed. No brushes, no flat irons. On the off-days, I still rinse & condition, and do the styling routine. It seems to be working well, and I don't get much heat damage. The Hang Straight does have the -xane cone in it, but I use a sulfate poo once a week, and that seems to handle it.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,477Registered Users
    Personally, I think I look better (and younger) with straight hair (and bangs). I know, for me, when my hair is frizzy due to humidity, it seems to age me.

If I had thicker, fuller hair I might think differently. But if the good Lord would have given me a choice, I'd have asked for straight hair :lol: .

You'd think going with what Mother Nature gave us would be foolproof, but it ain't alot of times!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • i_am_awkwardi_am_awkward Posts: 43Registered Users
    "I feel like straight hair suits me so well. I feel like curly hair makes my face look less symmetrical or something. I also feel like curly hair doesn't work with all of my clothes if that makes any sense. "

I think my face looks nicer when I'm "straight" (although the size of my hair doesn't change at all..) but it's too much work and I love my curls.

About the "working with clothes" -- I have found the perfect solution to this problem.
    Yes, I'm one of those people who wears plaid pants on a regular basis.

-cough- five pairs, not counting shorts...
    Constantly battling my oodles and oodles of 3b[?]
    Secretly we like each other a lot, but we're way too proud to admit it to each other.

MySpace: wemissedtheboat
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    I've only ever straightened my hair twice, and both of those times I didn't do a very good job - so I have no idea! I would be curious to do it one of these days and see how it looks.

However, I think curly hair suits me perfectly. On most days I look cute or fun or pretty, I can tie it back or put it in a sleek bun to look professional for work if I need to, and I'm quite striking when I put a little effort into how I look, and my hair is a part of that.

BUT I'm also not really concerned with mainstream culture, and definitely march to my own beat...so maybe I'm less influenced by media and the idea that people might not see me as sophisticated or grown up??? I think I can be both of those things. (that's not a judgment on those who may be influenced by such things, although it makes me kind of sad when people aren't embracing their curls and loving what they've got.)
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I generally think I look better with straight hair.

I guess part of it is being so used to seeing myself that way. Part of it is how unpredictable my hair can be when it's curly/wavy. It's getting better though. Straightening is still the much more predictable but I'm starting to be able to get consistently good natural hair. Of course, as good as it may look, it never looks the same way twice and no way can I actually predict which style I'll get that day. Sometimes it looks as good (in context with my face) as it does straight, but sometimes it just does weird things in the front or refuses to do similar things on both sides. :(

Also, I think I look skinnier with straight hair. :roll: I'm really not sure that's the case from someone else's perspective though.

As far as my overall hair (from the back), it looks a lot cooler curly.

*ETA*
    I just went and looked at some pictures from the past few months (straight vs wavy/curly) and I think I'm starting to like it just as well curly. It looks just as good, if I could keep that one friggin curl from falling in my face!! :evil:
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    I think either one suits my face, but curly hair definitely suits my clothes and style better than straight.
  • rosyCurlsrosyCurls Posts: 50Registered Users
    i just feel so awkward when it's straightened, my features look much more angular and i feel fat for some reason. i'm surprised that so many people feel better with straight hair.
    2c/3a...very thin and fine... Modified CG (I co-wash everyday)

Suave Naturals Lavender Conditioner
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Honey
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    My face used to look too skinny and long when I straightened it..it's not so bad now since I've gained some and more. I definitely look older with straight hair. I'm surprised so many of you look older in curls. Curls usually make people look younger. I think most of us think straight hair looks better with some clothes or this or that because of what we are used to seeing. But I do know what yall mean. I have some tops/dresses(actually just 2) that are kinda busy and really nice that I want to straighten my hair for so that the attention is on the top or dress and not my hair.
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Posts: 109Registered Users
    I happen to believe as Fran Drescher used to say on The Nanny, the bigger the hair, the smaller the hips look!

:lol:
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I happen to believe as Fran Drescher used to say on The Nanny, the bigger the hair, the smaller the hips look!

:lol:

Haha!
    Too bad my hair has little to no volume either way. :( I can't imagine how big it'd have to be to offset my butt though! :roll:
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I think I look good either way. Though since I have put on some weight, I feel that straight hair seems to emphasize that. (Yuck)

Curly hair makes me look younger too. But I like the curls more and they go with my personality!
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.