gel vs. mousse

sarahevalynsarahevalyn Posts: 4Registered Users
I have really thick wavy/curly hair (typing seems beyond me at this point). I have been trying different gels, but am wondering if a mousse might be better.

I am not necessarily looking for more defined curls, but softer, bouncier ones that won't frizz. Would a mousse do this? I can't remember the last time I used mousse (in fact until embracing the curls, I didn't even use gel). Does anyone have an recs for a good mousse for curls (preferably drug store, I hate spending a lot of $$ on something I might not like, but I will take all suggestions).

Thanks!

Comments

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tend to prefer mousse for the most part. Mousse is a lot lighter than gel so it might work if you're looking for lighter bouncier curls. I also find it easier to distribute.
    My favorite drugstore ones are Herbal Essences Set Me Up, Condition 3 in 1 (really cheap!), and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam (more expensive).
    If you want lighter hold you might want to try the Herbal Essences Body Envy or Totally Twisted ones.
    Of the three, the HE gives me the most hold. PM Foam gives me softer hold, lots of shine, and is very curl enhancing. Actually today I used a little of the PM with HE SMU layered over it and my hair looks really great despite that fact that it is 90's and humid today. Yeah! :lol:
    Although it didn't work for me (my hair doesn't like protein too much), Joico Joiwhip mousse is very popular with curlies on here. You can get it at places like Ulta or Trade Secret but it's a bit more expensive.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magoo wrote:
    I tend to prefer mousse for the most part. Mousse is a lot lighter than gel so it might work if you're looking for lighter bouncier curls. I also find it easier to distribute.
    My favorite drugstore ones are Herbal Essences Set Me Up, Condition 3 in 1 (really cheap!), and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam (more expensive).
    If you want lighter hold you might want to try the Herbal Essences Body Envy or Totally Twisted ones.
    Of the three, the HE gives me the most hold. PM Foam gives me softer hold, lots of shine, and is very curl enhancing. Actually today I used a little of the PM with HE SMU layered over it and my hair looks really great despite that fact that it is 90's and humid today. Yeah! :lol:
    Although it didn't work for me (my hair doesn't like protein too much), Joico Joiwhip mousse is very popular with curlies on here. You can get it at places like Ulta or Trade Secret but it's a bit more expensive.

Is PM Sculpting Foam CG friendly?
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    pinksugar wrote:
    Is PM Sculpting Foam CG friendly?

I've heard both yes and no -- I'm not really sure about it because of the way they string all those words together, etc. in their ingredient listing. I'd love to know for sure too because I have good results with it but don't want to have to shampoo every time I use it.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    Here's the ingredients list for the PM mousse:
    Water Aqua , Polyquaternium-11 , Isobutane , Propane , Panthenol , Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate , Dimethicone Bisamino Hydroxypropyl Copolyol/White , Cetrimonium Bromide , Glycerin , Propylene Glycol , Oleth-20 , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearyl Alcohol , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Polysorbate 20 , Fragrance Parfum , Methylparaben , Citric Acid , DMDM Hydantoin , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

One water soluble cone :)
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    I wonder why my ingredients on my can are different -- I wonder if I have an older version or something -- it lists dimethicone like three different times in various ways...
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wonder why my ingredients on my can are different -- I wonder if I have an older version or something -- it lists dimethicone like three different times in various ways...

That's how mine was. I never did figure out if it was CG or not, with the way they put so many things as one ingredient with slashes in between them. Very confusing!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Is this the list you have?

Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium-11, Isobutane, Propane, Panthenol, Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger)/PEG-12 Dimethicone, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Algae/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf/Anthernis Nobilis (Chamomile)/Henna/Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba)/Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary)/PEG-12 Dimethicone, Cetrimonium Bromide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbanate, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin.

That's a pretty freakin confusing list but it does appear that all the silicones are PEG-modified making them water soluble.

I have no idea which list is the most recent formula, unfortunately.

Yep, that's it!! I love this stuff too (when I am in the mood for a mousse)! Thanks Meriellyn!! :)
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• kcckcc Posts: 681Registered Users
    meriellyn wrote:
    Is this the list you have?

Water (Aqua), Polyquaternium-11, Isobutane, Propane, Panthenol, Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger)/PEG-12 Dimethicone, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone/Algae/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf/Anthernis Nobilis (Chamomile)/Henna/Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba)/Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary)/PEG-12 Dimethicone, Cetrimonium Bromide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbanate, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin.

That's a pretty freakin confusing list but it does appear that all the silicones are PEG-modified making them water soluble.

I have no idea which list is the most recent formula, unfortunately.
    I think this one is the newer version. I've never gotten any kind of build up with either version.
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
    My can has the ingredients on the second list so I'm assuming the cones are water soluble because of all the PEGS. That's why I decided to give it a try. It is confusing though :? . I hope this isn't an old formula. I haven't had any trouble with build up and my hair gets buildup very easily. I do shampoo once a week with a coco-betaine shampoo.

I really love this mousse even though I wish it had a bit more hold in the humidity. It gives me the shiniest, softest curls but I layer some SMU over it for extra hold. I can't wait to try it alone in the winter when humidity won't be a problem.
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

Does anyone know of a mousse that uses PVP, VP, etc for hold instead of polyquats?

Here's one I've been eyeing -- no quats, no silicone...a little $$

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2205313&cp&sr=1&origkw=banana&kw=banana&parentPage=search

ot: I'm on a quest for things that have banana!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Too funny about the banana - I am on a quest for anything and everything that has honey or aloe in it. My hair loves them.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2205313&cp&sr=1&origkw=banana&kw=banana&parentPage=search

Oooh, that does look intersting. Do you know what it smells like?

For the people who use the 3-in-1 mousse: which one do you use? If I'm not mistaken there are three different colors/hold levels. I'm interested in trying this one soon just because it's so cheap but I don't know which one to look for.

meriellyn wrote:

For the people who use the 3-in-1 mousse: which one do you use? If I'm not mistaken there are three different colors/hold levels. I'm interested in trying this one soon just because it's so cheap but I don't know which one to look for.

I haven't had a chance to smell it :( I would love to know what it smells/feels like!

On the 3-1 mousse, the one with the purple writing has the best hold for my curls -- love it!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

What about the Biosilk Silk Mousse? Has anyone given that one a try?
    I'm about to place another order with SalonSavings so I'm curious if this one is worth a shot for under $6.

meriellyn wrote:

I have the pink one. I have heard this is discontinued but I still see it everywhere!

ETA - to clarify I think all of the mousses are discontinued - not just the pink one.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote:
    meriellyn wrote:

I have the pink one. I have heard this is discontinued but I still see it everywhere!

ETA - to clarify I think all of the mousses are discontinued - not just the pink one.

I think you're right. Seems like I was practically tripping over cans of this stuff everywhere I went until I actually went looking for it tonight. Of course now there's none at CVS, none at WalMart (even though I *swear* it was there last week), etc. I did find the pick and purple at Eckard. The difference appears to be that the pink uses just polyquat-11 for hold and the purple has that and polyquat-4. I said screw it and just got both so I can compare them.

OK, about the Paul Mitchell... how long does that little 6oz can last you?? I found that one for $8.50 but I also found it for $13.50 and they have one can that is a good bit bigger (not the full big size but a ___% more can for the 6oz price) and I'm wondering if I should just drop the extra $5 now for the mid sized can because the 6oz just looks so tiny. But if the 6oz lasts a while, I have no need for the bigger one.

So yeah, long winded as that is... how long does the 6oz can last?

I dont use a lot of mousse when I use it because it seems like it distributes so much better but you have much longer hair than me. But if you dont like it the big can will be a bummer. I say go little - if you like it - buy the bigger one.
    Central Massachusetts

xcptnl wrote:
    I dont use a lot of mousse when I use it because it seems like it distributes so much better but you have much longer hair than me. But if you dont like it the big can will be a bummer. I say go little - if you like it - buy the bigger one.

That was my first reaction but now that I think about it, if I buy the small can from the salon, I'm stuck with it. If I buy the one from CVS, I can take it back if I hate it. Hmm...

I'm going on 2 weeks with the smaller can because like xcptnl wrote mousse distributes easier so you don't need to use as much. But I also mix it with a little SMU so maybe that's why it's lasted me so long. Generally though mousse lasts me a while.
    Meriellyn, I think Got2Be makes a mousse with PVP in it. Not sure of the name, I think it's Two Sexy?

Experimenting with BRHG

One problem I have with mousse is that even though it does distribute easier, I can't seem to get just that little bit out of the can at once. :( I try to go easy and either end up with runniness or a big ol' blob, which I then have to rinse half of down the sink. I'm practicing though. I think I'm mousse inept or something. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file