Color recs?

Here's me, trying to go lighter. This is an old photo and a terrible photo! But once I get some more length to my hair, I'd like to go lighter again. What do you think of this shade for me? Too light? Too one dimensional - not enough balance b/t high- and lowlights? Just the wrong shade?

Could you offer your recs for how I could get a more appropriate and modern light brown look? I will consult with a professional also. Thanks!

myphoto.jpg

Comments

• mslanee1mslanee1 Registered Users Posts: 439
    I dont know much about color, but I do know that it looks great on you! IMO works well with your skin tone :)
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    It's a nice color for you. Maybe more multi-toned lowlights, and slight (just slightly) redder; not so ashy.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • FleurztyFleurzty Registered Users Posts: 795
    The color looks good on you, but it doesn't blend too much in my opinion. Just remember that the color always seem a little darker on curly hair, so you might need to go slightly lighter if you want it to look this way on your curls.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Thanks!

If it looked so good, then why'd no one (colleagues, friends) really compliment me on it? I dunno. Maybe I rely too much on what other people think. Or perhaps it looks better in the photo than it did in real life! LOL! I think it was kinda brassy.

I just see pics of celebs (Beyonce, Christina Milan or Mary J) and think their blond/light brown looks sooo good.
  • denisemouniedenisemounie Registered Users Posts: 255
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but, if I were you, I WOULD NOT color. Hair color, especially if you want to go lighter, breaks down the protein in the hair and leaving the hair drier... a lot drier. The result is beautiful, but in the end its just a hassel especially if you're trying to grow out your hair. The hair becomes even more fragile (coily hair is naturally fragile). I think hair color has been my natural hair down fall :(

I think your natural color really suits you!
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    i think the color was just too one dimensional. highlights and lowlights are definetly needed to get great color results. just make sure you go to an experienced professional that you trust.

ive been coloring my hair on a regular basis for 10 years, and i havent exeprienced any more damage or dryness than the average bear. you just have to make sure you take care of your hair!
  • Sun-ReiSun-Rei Registered Users Posts: 275
    I think the color in the picture above washed you out. Maybe experiment with highlights in a similar shade (I agree with SBB that you should go a little less ashy) without doing the all-over color. My stylist laughed at me when I talked about highlights and lowlights (not in a mean way) because she said it would be silly to lighten all over just to darken it back in other places. A good stylist/colorist can give you highlights in a color that is appropriate for your skin tone and hair without causing excessive damage (if you take care of it at home as well.)
    Sun-Rei wrote:
    I think the color in the picture above washed you out. Maybe experiment with highlights in a similar shade (I agree with SBB that you should go a little less ashy) without doing the all-over color. My stylist laughed at me when I talked about highlights and lowlights (not in a mean way) because she said it would be silly to lighten all over just to darken it back in other places. A good stylist/colorist can give you highlights in a color that is appropriate for your skin tone and hair without causing excessive damage (if you take care of it at home as well.)

i know when i get color done, i have at least 3 different shades (in the same color family) put in. i have the lightest in the front and the darkest in the back, with the "base" color throughout. i cant say ive ever had solely highlights now that i think about it...

you can see what im talking about in my fotki (the summer 2006 album)
    ITA subbrock, but if you have naturally dark brown or black hair, even having three different lighter shades is considered highlighting (according to my stylist). In order to do "lowlights" you start with hair that's a medium shade and darken it, which isn't possible on already dark hair.
    i definetly dont have virgin hair when it comes to color! so ive actually had "lowlights"... i went from blonde tones to black w/ purple in the back to auburn... :lol:

can we say addict???
    :lol: well there you have it. :D

ETA: and I LOVE the pics of your color in your fotki!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    OK...cool thanks all! But dang...Beyonce can wear all-over lighter hair...and so can Mary J.

:?

But then again you can do a lot with a few million dollars and your own stylist...
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Kimshi42 wrote:
    OK...cool thanks all! But dang...Beyonce can wear all-over lighter hair...and so can Mary J.

:?

But then again you can do a lot with a few million dollars and your own stylist...

Kimshi42, both those ladies lace fronts are streaked/hot foiled with high or low lights.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Kimshi24, if you look at pictures of them over the years, there are times when they, too, have made bad choices in hair color. You can have all-over lighter (multi-tonal) hair that suits your complexion and doesn't look flat if you have a professional stylist do it and explain what you're looking for.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file