Coloring when pregnant?

McCurlyMcCurly Registered Users Posts: 200
I heard that you may not color your hair when pregnant ???
I am pregnant and I am getting some wit hair on some front pieces of curls that drive me crazy. I could wait till the delivery but I a am afraid of not having much time left when the baby will be here to make an appointment to the hairdresser and to die my hair.

A friend told me that it was allowed if you don't use products containing ammoniac. Living in Europe (Belgium) it's tough to find variety of hair coloring products but I know a brand sold in "green" shops (I don't know the word used in English for products sold in those shops with very natural, biological products :oops: ).

I would be happy to hear about your experiences and comments on this. Thanks!
Corkscrew 3B

Comments

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    My doctor told me coloring and highlighting is fine after the first trimester, as long as the room is well ventilated.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • McCurlyMcCurly Registered Users Posts: 200
    OK. So, did you have had some coloration after this period?

I don't understand very well why there is a period when it is not allowed and why there is no problem after this time.
    Corkscrew 3B
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Because almost all the major development happens during the first trimester, and the fetus is most susceptible to damage. You may want look at a book or website that describes the weekly development of the fetus.

No, I have not personally had my hair colored, but I was trying to grow out my virgin hair before finding out I'm pg.

ETA: I'm considering doing a semi-permanent home dye if I keep finding greys. I just really hate the thought of messing with my hair now that it's so healthy.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • McCurlyMcCurly Registered Users Posts: 200
    Bailey 422 wrote:
    Because almost all the major development happens during the first trimester, and the fetus is most susceptible to damage. You may want look at a book or website that describes the weekly development of the fetus.

No, I have not personally had my hair colored, but I was trying to grow out my virgin hair before finding out I'm pg.

ETA: I'm considering doing a semi-permanent home dye if I keep finding greys. I just really hate the thought of messing with my hair now that it's so healthy.
    Yes, I know about the major developments during the first trimester but there are other important developments after so it's strange to ignore it later. I don't know, maybe I am too worry about it :oops:

I fully understand the fact of avoiding new tricks when your hair is all right.
    Mine is OK but a lot limper and a bit lifeless since the begin of my pregnancy. The hairdresser even noticed it and told me to use protein. I am not sure since my hair used to hate it a year ago.
    I ma still in doubt about my next step.

A nice curly told me about some super natural henna products to use and it seems that it could be OK during pregnancy.

Anyway, I think that I am going to wait the end of the summer to take a decision.

But all comments are welcome.
    Corkscrew 3B
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Henna is perfectly fine to use during pregnancy, but be sure it's real henna and not a compound henna. If you use henna, try to get a "body art quality" henna. That way you'll be sure it doesn't contain metallic salts and other unknown dyes.

I colored my hair with commercial hairdye when I was pregnant and my kids are all fine. I did wait til after the first trimester each time though, just to be on the safe side. After that, I felt comfortable with dying it. I figured that pregnancy made me feel so blah anyway...no sense in feeling ugly too.
  • rosannarosannadannarosannarosannadanna Registered Users Posts: 109
    Six years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest I was coloring my hair black with at home color kits. I asked my doctor about the concerns of hair dye and pregnancy and he said that there were concerns years ago but that nowadays there isn't because different ingredients are used now.

Hope this helps, btw, I colored throughout my pregnancy and while breastfeeding without any ill effects. He's super smart so it obviously didn't hurt his brain!

Good luck!
    "Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Our goals should be health (and) stamina." - Emme Aronson

3A short inverted bob, auburn with red highlights colored hair
    Fine, but lots of it

Yes to Cucumbers Color Care shampoo and conditioner, AOMMJ, KCCC, CJCIAB, CJRP, CJBCLI, CJCR.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    I also had my hair colored at a salon with semipermanent dye every six weeks throughtout several pregnancies with no ill effect.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    Bailey422 wrote:

I usually use L'Oreal Color Gems, which is a demi-permanent. I really like it - it covers my grays well and washes out over time, rather than having a root line. I tried henna-ing yesterday and it did NOTHING for my grays, so I might use the Color Gems. You can get the Color Gems stuff at Sally's. I like it and it's fairly economical - the color is like $5 and the developer is $3 or $4 and lasts through about 4 or so colorings.
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Banned Users Posts: 956
    Have you heard of Fancifull? It's a temporary color rinse that washes out with shampooing. It's for coloring grays and sometimes I use it when I want to tone down the redness in my hair. It won't lighten hair - it doesn't contain peroxide. If grayness is your only reason for coloring, I would check this out. All you do is dab a bit of it on your grays. I would think it would be safe for pregnant women, but I'm not entirely sure. http://www.haircareusa.com/roux_fanci_full_rinse.htm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file