Where did I go WRONG??

curlsrgreatcurlsrgreat Registered Users Posts: 70
Okay so lastnight for the first time i decided to color my hair because i ve been soo curious for a long time, but i took precatution and on colored a strand..well more than a strand. Heres what happend..i went to target picked up Revlon color silk dark ash blonde and light golden brown. My hair is jet BLACK. Reallllly black..i read the directions and applied ...and i came out with redish--oragangish hair...the scalp part is really redish orange and the longer hair is burgandy..... i was going for ash blonde brown....or a light golden brown....can some one HELP ME? my questions are.

1.wat did i do wrong?
2.was i suppose to lift my naturalblack hair first?
3. and how can i get my black hair to ligten to the colors i got from revlon????

thank god i did it to one part of my head n not the whole scalp.............

i am disappointed but i first need to know why my hair turned red/orange.. :cry:

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    3. and how can i get my black hair to ligten to the colors i got from revlon????

2. yes
    3. Get it done by a color professional. It's a 2-step chemical process and can wreck your hair if not done right (and sometimes even when doen right).

(I did not check out your hair photos because my reasoning is if folks want me to see their photos, they will make them accessible to me).
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • curlsrgreatcurlsrgreat Registered Users Posts: 70

2. yes
    3. Get it done by a color professional. It's a 2-step chemical process and can wreck your hair if not done right (and sometimes even when doen right).

(I did not check out your hair photos because my reasoning is if folks want me to see their photos, they will make them accessible to me).

how was i suppose to lift my natural colora/
  • cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    A couple of things:

For your black hair, using such a much lighter single-process color brought out the underlying orange and red tones in the hair, a very common mistake among people who color at home. They think the color on the front of the box is what they're going to get - wrong!
    Yes, this is a job for a professional, and as someone else mentioned, even they don't always get it right. Usually it involves pre-bleaching the hair several levels, and then putting color in(hence the term double-process), often a very damaging process. This is why one sees people who go very short after a time of drastically lightening their hair, to get rid of fried hair and easily grow out what's left of the damaged stuff. Double-process is alot of work and upkeep, because you will have to use industrial-strength conditioners, religiously, also the roots will REALLY show very quickly.
    In general, for someone coloring their hair at home with a box color(a single-process color)sticking within one or two shades either lighter or darker is a better bet, and it looks alot more natural too. So in your case, since your hair was black, using no lighter a shade than a light-medium brown would have been better. The result would have been somewhat lighter hair, with a warm shine, because it would have lifted to a warm brown(likely somewhat reddish), which probably would have looked nice. Not mention that it is easier on the hair on account of less lightening of the hair.
    To fix your current problem, do NOT try to do this yourself - this is what professional corrective coloring is for, to get your color back to what looks better. And it might take more than one session to do it too. But do it, because if you try this yourself, you will likely make matters worse, not better.
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    disclaimer: I'm not a beautician.

I think coloring naturally black hair is difficult, especially if you want to go that light. With most home coloring kits, it's is usually recommended to go no more than two levels lighter. To go from black to blonde is more than two levels.

Some things you can consider:

:arrow: They do make home hair coloring kits specifically for dark hair. You might explore these. They are "high lift" formulas, made to go 4 levels lighter. Garnier Nutrisse has some called "nutri-browns." Nice-N-Easy has some high lifts, too. I've never used any of these high-lifts, so I don't know if they work well or not. (I have med. brown hair.) ColorSilk does not make any high lifts, at least not that I have seen. I am assuming that these high lift formulas have a higher percentage of perioxide.

:arrow: You might want to try going a dark or medium brown, which would be only going 1 or 2 levels lighter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    My original hair color was dark brown/brunette. To get blond streaks (hotfoil) I first had to be lifted via bleach to a yellow/light orange, then toned, then streaks foiled in. After a few years my hair was toast. I would imagine going from black you would need to be lifted from that to at least a light orange to get light brown or dark blonde.

I would never lighten my hair myself. If your hair is sort of orangey now, why not strip out the color that your not happy with (Colorfix - don't use the peroxide in it) and recolor with a toning color that's lighter than black but darker than say, light brown? A medium brown or auburn...
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Thank you for all of the replies. I am not that disapointed.. i guess more shock...but to be honest i am enjoying this color even though it isnt what i was going for. But i still do want it atleast a brown-- or light brown. So, where do i go from here to correct this error? ive read the last replies and im taking it in..but what products do i get to go about getting the color i orginally wanted? :arrow:
    Thank you for all of the replies. I am not that disapointed.. i guess more shock...but to be honest i am enjoying this color even though it isnt what i was going for. But i still do want it atleast a brown-- or light brown. So, where do i go from here to correct this error? ive read the last replies and im taking it in..but what products do i get to go about getting the color i orginally wanted? :arrow:

How big of a test strand did you color?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    one small--medium grip of my hair..... its in the back tho........
    Do you have a Sally Beauty in your area? Sally Beauty sells hair color called "Ion." In front of the Ion section (at least at my Sally's), is an informational brochure. It is very helpful at explaining coloring principles. You might want to stop by there and pick up one and give it a read.

According to that phamplet, if you have black hair and want to go light brown or lighter, you would have to pre-lighten first. This is what SBB referred to above as a "two-step" process. I think that would be too difficult to do by yourself at home.

I think going as light as you want to go is going to be difficult for you to do yourself. I think you need professional help. Either that, or you need to choose a darker color, like maybe a medium or dark brown.

Have you checked out the colorsilk website. They have a shade recommender. http://haircolor.revlon.com/aspx/colorsilk/ColorSilkShadeSelector.aspx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file