Recolor Question

Sideshow-BobSideshow-Bob Registered Users Posts: 68
I used Naturtint a few days ago and I don't like the color I've ended up with. It's much too dark and I want to go a shade or two lighter. My question for all you color experts is how should I go about lightening it? How soon is too soon to do so? Should I re-apply the same color or should I use a "color fixer"? Sorry for all the questions but I'm so confused :? I have pics of the desired color that was achieved during my strand test in my fotki. I don't necessarily have to get that color but I'd like something close to it.
I feel like a 3c/4a most days... More specifically an OS, dominant S, with spongy medium thickness

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    When that happened to me, I used Colorfix (but skipped the peroxide part) and it lifted the color out. I colored right after (with Robert Craig). I'm not familiar with Naturtint, but without developer you really can't go a shade or two lighter than your natural color.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I'm not a professional or anything, but from my reading about hair coloring online, hair color does not lift hair color. For example, if you've dyed your hair dark brown and you then decide you want to go light brown, you can't just go out & buy a box of light brown hair color. It's not going to lighten the previously colored hair. If you want to go lighter with previously colored hair, you've got to get the hair color out or lifted in some way (like maybe bleaching).

As above, Color fix is a good product. It removes the hair color. You can get it at Sally Beauty for around $13.00 or so. There's also lots of info on this product at folica.com. You may or may not have to re-color after a treatment. It depends on how much color you remove. If you do a partial color removal treatment, you may like the color you end up with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • Sideshow-BobSideshow-Bob Registered Users Posts: 68
    Thanks you guys for the replies :) SBB, Naturtint is a gentle permanent coloring system. It does contain peroxide but no ammonia and I did get some lift but not as much as I want. Brio, the color I used is lighter than my natural color and I was thinking that putting the same color on again would give me a lighter version of the same color than I got at first, if that makes sense.
    I feel like a 3c/4a most days... More specifically an OS, dominant S, with spongy medium thickness
    Thanks you guys for the replies :) SBB, Naturtint is a gentle permanent coloring system. It does contain peroxide but no ammonia and I did get some lift but not as much as I want. Brio, the color I used is lighter than my natural color and I was thinking that putting the same color on again would give me a lighter version of the same color than I got at first, if that makes sense.

The "lift" of hair color only works on natural, uncolored hair. Hair color is not going to lighten previously colored hair. I don't think putting the same color on again is going to work and make your hair any lighter. (However, there are those who would say I am incorrect -- That this would work as long as you don't have a buildup of color.)

I think this is one of the flaws with home hair color kits. They don't explain enough about handling previously colored hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    Well, that makes sense... I think I will use some color fix stuff and try again. I appreciate your help!
  • alaskabellealaskabelle Registered Users Posts: 216
    A product called Malibu 2000 crystal gel treatment can lift out excess dark pigmentation from color, without damaging the hair.
    3aFii, ?/26/36+ (wet)
    CG since 5-29-07
    Current condish: Nature's Gate Aloe & Regis Cherry Almond
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Brio is correct, color does not lift color no matter what kind. It will just get darker. Try the ColorFix as the others suggested, and good luck! :)

If you want to lighten your color by a few shades, you will probably have to choose a color 3 or more shades lighter, as curly hair tends to get/stay darker than most hair.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    So, with the Color Fix it looks like there's three parts and I noticed that Suburbanbushbabe said she skipped the peroxide part. What is the peroxide part? What would happen if you use it? And what happens if you don't?
    I believe part 3 is the peroxide, the catalyst. You can skip it, there are directions for using just the 2. My sister didn't need to lighten much so we didn't use it, but I know others have. If you need to lighten alot, you might need it. But you could try just the first 2 parts, and use the 3rd on the next round if needed. There is plenty for several treatments. The peroxide is similar to that in color, it's not going to destroy your hair, but it can weaken it like too much coloring can do.
    I went to buy some ColorFix from Sally's and the woman at the store said I would go bald if I used that and then colored. Being my usual diobedient self I bought it anyway. So now my question is do I follow the slight correction instructions (part 1 + part 2 + shampoo) or do I follow the full correction instructions but without the part 3 step?

ETA: I just wanna say I really appreciate everyone's help and input :D I'd be lost without ya'll.
    I went to buy some ColorFix from Sally's and the woman at the store said I would go bald if I used that and then colored. Being my usual diobedient self I bought it anyway. So now my question is do I follow the slight correction instructions (part 1 + part 2 + shampoo) or do I follow the full correction instructions but without the part 3 step?

ETA: I just wanna say I really appreciate everyone's help and input :D I'd be lost without ya'll.

I skipped the peroxide step and the color stripped down fine. It smells so be prepared. I colored right after with a no-ammonio/no-peroxide, deposit only hair color. It was a toning color (pretty much the same color level as my color).
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.

Wonder why the lady at Sally's told you that???? This product is made to remove color so the hair can be re-colored. Is your hair terribly damaged? Anyway, I will assume your hair is healthy for the most part. It's not virgin hair, since you have colored it, but I will assume healthy, and attempt to answer your question.

I've done both ways: partial correction and full correction. When I did full correction, I DID do the step 3. Despite reading warnings from folks online at that Folica.com site, I figure the manufacturer put it in there for a reason, and who am I to disagree with the manufacturer. I am no professional. (Not trying to say you're advice is bad, SBB. Just my thought process on this.)

I can't really remember what your natural color is and what color you were trying for????? That might help to answer the question. (I act like I know what I'm talking about. :? )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

My natural hair color is dark brown and I want to go to an orangey-copper. If u want u can look at a couple picks in my fotki. I think they're in my "Misunderstood" folder and the password is in my signature.
    Didn't mean to skip out on you. I ended up having to go out of town for work. I tried to look in your fotki, but couldn't get the PW to work.

Considering you stiill want to go 1-2 shades lighter than your natural color, I'd think you need to do a full color removal treatment. Just remember, I'm not a beautician -- just another curlie struggling to try to figure out this hair coloring stuff (which is why I ended up using colorfix in the first place!). So please, use any of my advice with caution.

After removing the color, you probably ought to do a test strand before recoloring your whole head. The color may "grab" more since your hair is going to be more porous from the chemicals you have been using.

Hey, you may find after removing the color, it's a shade of orange that you like and don't even have to recolor.

Good luck with whatever you do. I'm finding that getting my hair to a shade of red I like is difficult. I think part of my problem is I always wonder if another color wouldn't look better, so I end up experimenting too much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Brio wrote:
    After removing the color, you probably ought to do a test strand before recoloring your whole head. The color may "grab" more since your hair is going to be more porous from the chemicals you have been using.

Hey, you may find after removing the color, it's a shade of orange that you like and don't even have to recolor.

Good advice and info Brio! You're turning into quite the expert (experience does that). ;)

Yes, if you want to go that much lighter, you probably need all 3 parts. Regarding Brio's quote above, any new color will probably go much darker after the treatment. Be careful. And good luck. :)
    My natural hair color is dark brown and I want to go to an orangey-copper. If u want u can look at a couple picks in my fotki. I think they're in my "Misunderstood" folder and the password is in my signature.

I looked at your photo and looks like the patch color you used has already lifted/lightened your natural hair a bit. If you don't like the actual "tone", Colorfix 1 and 2 will strip it out to whatever shade the developer lightened your hair to and leave you with just the lighted hair (maybe red/maybe dark orange). Then you can "tone" again - use a color you like.

I would wait a week or two before using a color with developer. If the re-color is no-ammonia/no-peroxide (Robert Craig or similar) you can re-color immediately. Just beware the porousity of your hair, like the others said.
    comic-p.jpg

CurliLocks wrote:

Good advice and info Brio! You're turning into quite the expert (experience does that). ;)

It's been all trial & error, mostly ERROR! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

I took you guy's advice and I did the Colorfix part 1 & 2. I did get the color out and my hair is significantly closer the color I want. I still would like to go lighter but I will wait a couple weeks like Suburbanbushbabe suggested. I also took some pics that I will add to my fotki some time this weekend and Brio I appreciate you being the "resident color expert" of nc.com :lol: .
    Glad the Colorfix worked out for you.

Yeah, I think it's a really good idea, like SBB suggested, to wait a while before you recolor. I've read somewhere that the color molecules continue to break down for a bit longer, so you may loose a bit more color. I'm not sure if this person knew what they were talking about or not, but I don't suppose it will hurt to wait a bit. You might decide you like the color and can wait until it's time for your next touch-up to do anything else.

I was able to get in your photo album this time when I tried. Your hair is very beautiful. I so infrequently see women of color with natural hair where I live. I wasn't even sure what it looked like.

Can't wait to see more photos!

"Resident color expert!" I might get a swelled head. 8)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file