wierd skin

britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
i am 14, and i do get bad breakouts ocasionally and lots of blackheads. My nose and forehead get really oily so I use panoxyl which has benzol peroxide (5%) some nights to control the oil and breakouts, and then i'll put a tree tea oil moisterizer on, but my face dries out really really bad, and when i wake up the next morining to put my foundation on, you can see my skin is all dry and falky and skins peeling off. I've tried st. ives apricot scrub for acne and oily skin, but it seems to make breakouts worse. Just using a gentle cleanser doesn't seem to get rid of my pimples. Neutogena doesn't work at all. Everything i've tried either doesn't get rid of my acne or it dries my skin. I use an oil free foundation. My skin isn't terrible i just get pimples on my chin & forehead, with blackheads on my nose. Do you think it would be better for me to use a concealer on just my pimples, or stick with my foundation? For my age... what do u think i should be using?
Britt - Type 3A curly hair

Comments

• sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    i am 14, and i do get bad breakouts ocasionally and lots of blackheads. My nose and forehead get really oily so I use panoxyl which has benzol peroxide (5%) some nights to control the oil and breakouts, and then i'll put a tree tea oil moisterizer on, but my face dries out really really bad, and when i wake up the next morining to put my foundation on, you can see my skin is all dry and falky and skins peeling off. I've tried st. ives apricot scrub for acne and oily skin, but it seems to make breakouts worse. Just using a gentle cleanser doesn't seem to get rid of my pimples. Neutogena doesn't work at all. Everything i've tried either doesn't get rid of my acne or it dries my skin. I use an oil free foundation. My skin isn't terrible i just get pimples on my chin & forehead, with blackheads on my nose. Do you think it would be better for me to use a concealer on just my pimples, or stick with my foundation? For my age... what do u think i should be using?

Wow I can really relate to you. My skin use to break out a lot and I tryed that St. Ives Apricot scrub for a while, you're right-it does agitate acne prone skin. And using a gentle cleanser didn't get me anywhere either. I do use Neautrogena Healthy Skin loose powder as a foundation and did back when my skin was breaking out more, it doesn't and didn't seem to cause breakouts.

About the concealer, unless it's one meant for acne prone skin and it can blend in well with your skin when you don't have foundation on, then it should be ok.

Honestly, this sounds like awful advice. But just give it a try for a little while. Try not washing your face with anything. But when you're showering let the water clean your face and if you have to, use a really small amount of regular old soap. It seems all those products meant to combat combination skin acne, maybe even acne in general, do not help,and sometimes are part of the problem. When I stopped using gel face washes, anti-acne formulated soaps, astringents, etc, my skin got a lot better. Not perfect but much better. My skin was worse at 15,16,17...but at 18 when I gave up the endless crusade for the right product, it started getting better right after about a week. Now at 19 I still break out, (pre-period and from eating poorly), but my skin is in much better shape.

For those dry areas I reccomend pure Vit. E oil, as it helps moisturize skin the best way possible, what it naturally wants.

At the least it shouldn't make your skin get worse. There might be a short reaction, but after a week of not using anything your skin should be accustomed to it and then start healing and finding it's natural balance. If you do try it, and it doesn't work, blame it on me :wink:

I'm really confident about this though, the best part is it's easy and cheap :D
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • miacurlmiacurl Registered Users Posts: 332
    Maybe your mom could take you to a dermatologist? Worth a shot
    2C/3A auburn hair.
    between shoulders and BSL
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    My skin was like that as well and I started using Clinique. It has never been in better shape and I'm at the point that I'm not even using foundation anymore. If you stop by the Clinique counter and ask the cosmetian for help, they'll probably give you some samples to try out. Thats how I started and I'm hooked. It's been about 7 years and every now and then I'll try something else, but always go back.

Good Luck, it's a hard time right now but it will get better :)
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • chrisnj0614chrisnj0614 Registered Users Posts: 30
    I have a 16 year old brother who is always worried about his skin (yet i think it looks better than mine).
    I will tell you what i tell him. Be very gentle. When you use tons of products and scrubs, it aggravates your skin. I had not so great/no so bad skins forever and the one thing i have noticed is that it is always environmental factors that makes it bad (right now it is oil in my hair products).
    I buy my brother the Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/mask. It has benzoyl peroxide in it. I think salicylic acid is the worst (most neutrogena cleansers have this). He washes morning and night with this. Then he uses DDF 5% Benzoyl Peroxide with tea Tree oil to spot treat pimples (i highly recommend). His skin is great (except where his hair lay...hair oil does cause pimples).
    I would recommend that you only use one type of cleanser (no salicylic acid at all) both morning and night. Then use a mild toner (i like eucerin clear pore toner). Afterwards use a light, oil free moisturizer (i like eucerin clear pore skin renewal day lotion with SPF 15) in the day only.
    The only thing i recommend at night is to spot treat your pimples.

If nothing works, i suggest going to a dermatologist.
    Type 2C/3A, Medium texture and I have a ton of it, long hair, brunette, flat crown.
    Modified CG'er since August 2004
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I have similar problems to you although I mostly break out across my chin more so than my nose. I can't use acne scrubs or treatments because the acid in them just makes my skin more dried out and then it flakes. The best thing I have ever been able to do is wash with Ivory soap and water (I can't use the other soaps because of the additives). I also use Stridex for Sensitive Skin when I am especially broke out. The Stridex gets rid of all the dirt and oil which helps get rid of the acne. I use Oil of Olay Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin everyday. It's light enough to wear under makeup but heavy enough to keep my skin moisturized without overdoing the oil. I have tried other moisturizers but that is the only that works for me. Be careful putting concealer over your pimples because that can make them stand out worse.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • britt_dancing_girlbritt_dancing_girl Registered Users Posts: 34
    well for the past few days, i've taken all you guys have said into consideration about not really using any acne facewash, etc. So far, evey night i have just been washing with water on a washcloth. My skin has finally been getting back to normal ( meaning not dry and flaky) and i do see a few new blemishes appearing. Maybe tonight i will use a little bit of ... well ummm.... what should i use? Since my other acne products kinda make things worse? Regular hand soap just makes my skin itchy and kinda rashy,, Any ideas??
    Britt - Type 3A curly hair
  • sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    well for the past few days, i've taken all you guys have said into consideration about not really using any acne facewash, etc. So far, evey night i have just been washing with water on a washcloth. My skin has finally been getting back to normal ( meaning not dry and flaky) and i do see a few new blemishes appearing. Maybe tonight i will use a little bit of ... well ummm.... what should i use? Since my other acne products kinda make things worse? Regular hand soap just makes my skin itchy and kinda rashy,, Any ideas??

If you really feel weird about not using anything I would suggest something really mild and and not formulated for fighting acne...just cleansing. I didn't really like the regular bar soap idea either so I mostly just used water. Makeupalley.com will have user reviews and you could probably find a good mild soap that way. For combination skin it's a safe way to go. Good luck Britt, sounds good so far :)
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • chrisnj0614chrisnj0614 Registered Users Posts: 30
    I really like Eucerin Clear Pore formula cleanser. It has about 6 ingredients in it and nothing harsh (no acids or peroxides or fragrance). It is not an acne wash. They sell it in any drugstore. Sometimes i have a hard time finding it. The toner of the same line is awesome too. they are really gentle and clean well. I have really sensitive skin/combination skin and I never use acne products to wash with.
    Type 2C/3A, Medium texture and I have a ton of it, long hair, brunette, flat crown.
    Modified CG'er since August 2004
  • Twirly GirlTwirly Girl Registered Users Posts: 53

As always, for this type of skin I'd recommend the Loreal Pure Zone Pore Unclogging Scrub Cleanser. I really cannot praise this stuff enough, it's really helped to clear up my skin. The moisturiser (Pure Zone
    Skin Relief Oil-Free Moisturiser) is really good too as it stops your skin getting too shiny.
  • ~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
    I was having this exact same problem. I had pimples, plus blackheads on my nose. I tried different acne cleansers with Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide but they all dried out my skin. On a whim, I tried Dermalogica's Dermal Clay Cleanser (very expensive, but I was desperate) for a couple of weeks along with my usual oil free moisturizer and my skin has completely cleared up. If I have a break out, I spot treat with Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) before bed.

Although I'm afraid to try anything new right now (in case the special balance that I've achieved falls apart), I bet cheaper versions of a cleanser that contains clay can be found. I think the idea is that if you just focus on absorbing some of the oil, then the acne will clear up on its own. Those are my thoughts. Good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file