Trying to keep Braids for more than a week.

stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
So finally ended up getting braids because washing my hair everyday was getting too much. So picked out an African braiding spot around my neighborhood went in and explained what I wanted. When it finally came down to it she pulled my hair like no tomorrow and I ended up paying 80 for an all back style. Now here's my problem, it hasn't even been a week and I can't take it anymore, it itches, it's so tight, I'm scared I'm going to lose my edges on top of all this. I oil it every morning with coconut oil and wrap it with a du-rag at night before I go to bed. what else do yall do with your braids? How do you stop this itching!!!
strickly CG.
BCed Jan 27,07
I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
My hair survives on;
Suave naturals
Herbal essences set me up gel
Amla powder
Other lovies; :laughing8:
[Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
hairpic.png
Taken Feb 21,09
Blogger
Youtuber

Comments

• mslanee1mslanee1 Registered Users Posts: 439
    My best suggestion for the itching is keep it moist and oiled and as it loosens it will stop itching. Its crazy how tight they pull the hair, your edges may be fine especially if they are just flat braids. But in the end use your judgement if they are too tight or you feel your edges are in danger (as edges tend to be so fragile) I say take them out. Or even call the braid shop back and tell them the braids are too tight, and see if they will re-do them.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    How about a scalp wash and massage - do you think that would help?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Hi stella, I would go back and have them redo your edges and nape. If its bothering you then it is way to tight! Also I found that I got product buildup/dandruff buildup when I applied oil to my scalp while in braids...I would advise using a scalp spray instead. This website really helped me learn how to take care of my braids http://www.growafrohairlong.com HTH :)
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Registered Users Posts: 237
    hey everyone thank you for your inputs.
    But i had to take out the braids i couldn't take the itching anymore.Maybe better luck next time.lol
    Now Im trying to do as many deep treatments as possible to get rid of the dryness
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I've never had much of an itching problem with braids but with weaves...oh boy

Maybe next time, try Seabreeze applied to your scalp with a cotton ball or clean wash rag. I hear it helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file