How long did your first gestate?(excluding scheduled c's)

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
Not including scheduled C-sections, how long were you pregnant with your first baby using the doctor's calculation method? If you were post-date, did you go into labour naturally or were you induced? If you know when you ovulated, how far off were your dates from the doctor's dates and how long were you pregnant according to your dates?
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I was 39 1/2 weeks according to the docs method, closer to 39 weeks according to when I actually ovulated. Went into labor spontaneously.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    First baby came 10 days early (broke my water)

Second baby came 8 weeks early (c-section due to complications/fetal distress)
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    Katy was 10 days late (hmm...I just realized I voted wrong...10 days would put her 41-41.5 weeks...). She came naturally, although I think I helped by raking leaves for a couple of hours that day. :wink: However, I was not charting and had no earthly idea how long my cycles were so we only had the wheel to go by. She came out only 6.5 pounds, so the midwifes were convinced she wasn't really "late", just late according to the calendar.

(FYI - I had been on depo for ~ 7 years with no period - quit taking the shots, got one period, and voila! Same thing this time around: on an IUD and nursing for two years, quit nursing and had the IUD taken out, one period and voila again! So, again, I've got no idea how long my cycles are, which leaves me at the mercy of the wheel. :? )
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Based on when I ovulated, the doctor wheel was a day off if my memory is correct. I had a very early ultrasound that was accurate to the day.

I think the doctors calculated me to be 34 weeks 2 days when X was born.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    The doctor's calculations and the ultrasound were about right for when I conceived. I know I conceived in a 1-2 day window because those were the only days that month I had sex. :lol:

DJ was born at exactly 38 weeks. I had my 38 week checkup on the day I turned 38 weeks and he sent me to L&Dbecause I needed to give birth pretty soon. I wasn't induced with any medication, but he did break my water since I was already 4-5 cm and it was imperative that DJ was born within 24 hours.
    3c/4a
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    I was charting, so my midwives and I were pretty clear on all my dates. I went 16 days overdue and was induced, ended up with a c-section. I'm pretty sure that my situation and failure to ever go into labor on my own was due to a previous medical situation.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    Max was exactly 2 weeks late they induced me twice without success and then the dr. broke my water at my next checkup
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I delivered at 39 weeks 4 days. I went into labour spontaneously.

By my calculation based on when I O-ed, I actually went into labour on my due date (and delivered the next day). But according to my "official" due date, which was determined by u/s, I was a few days early.

By LMP, I delivered 3 weeks late!

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I went into spontaneous labor with #1 at 41 weeks. I knew when I had ovulated, so my dates were correct.

I went into spontaneous labor with #2 at 40w6d. I had medical help getting pregnant with that baby, so we knew exactly when I conceived. Baby decided to cook longer anyway. :lol:

I know when I ovulated this time, so my dates are correct. It's anyone's guess when this baby will arrive. The midwife told me this morning that chances are this one will probably be a little late too. Oh well.
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    According to them I was around 41 weeks, according to my chart I was around 42 weeks, if not past it by a couple of days.
    :rambo:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    One day early...& boy has that been a sign...always up & going! lol
    And I was spot on w/ conceiving...

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    righ on time - 41 weeks 1 day. natural birth
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    #1 - spontaneous labor, then c-sec at 40 weeks 3 days
    #2 - spontaneous labor, then scheduled c-sec at 39 weeks
    #3 - spontaneous labor, then c-sec at 39 weeks
    #4 - spontaneous labor natural birth at 39 weeks

My dates were always right on, as I have a very traditional and regular 28 day cycle. Since I had 3 babies at exactly 39 weeks and only my first was a few days past 40 weeks, I assume I am a shorter gestator than average...just a variation of normal. Normal pregnancy lasts 38-42 weeks, and there are just as many women who deliver after 40 weeks as before. I wish OB's would keep that in mind and not pressure so many women to induce just because they've reached an arbitrary 40 weeks gestation. 40 weeks is still just an average, there's nothing magical about it that requires intervention if a woman goes past it.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    RCW, that's why I'm asking (well, that and I need to schedule my exact maternity leave date with work.) I am really wanting to avoid induction and a lot of people are telling me it was done once they were 7-10 days postdate or even less than that.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Anmeris, the Canadian protocol is wait 10 days post due date for induction. You don't even have to consider it before then.

So far does your doctor's due date about match up with your due date based on charting?

Personally, I think I would electively be induced after 10 days because from my understand there is a risk of placental degradation after that point but having never been in the situation I'd need to do more research.

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Anmeris, the Canadian protocol is wait 10 days post due date for induction. You don't even have to consider it before then.

So far does your doctor's due date about match up with your due date based on charting?

Personally, I think I would electively be induced after 10 days because from my understand there is a risk of placental degradation after that point but having never been in the situation I'd need to do more research.

Their date is 2 days past mine, so that buys me 2 days... and they asked when my mother delivered and she was always 9-10 days post date so I think they are assuming I'll be the same, so I am probably OK. But I want to be prepared!

.png

534Pm5.png

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I think I would electively be induced after 10 days because from my understand there is a risk of placental degradation after that point but having never been in the situation I'd need to do more research.

Don't they do biophysical profiles in Canada?
    medussa wrote:
    I think I would electively be induced after 10 days because from my understand there is a risk of placental degradation after that point but having never been in the situation I'd need to do more research.

Don't they do biophysical profiles in Canada?

I remember my OB saying that test is done starting at 7 days overdue, and induction is usually recommended at 10 days overdue. But to be honest, I don't remember any more details than that. I didn't end up delivering in Canada last time. And I didn't even make it to my last pre-natal appointment so I'm not even sure what the US protocol would have been.

This time I'll pay more attention!

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    My first was 13 days after due date. The first non-stress test, done about 3 days past due, was normal. The second non-stress test showed he'd slowed down a lot. I was to go in at 9am for induction. 2 hours I went into natural labor, contractions 8 min. apart. After I went to bed and got up in the morning, they were 10 min.
    I didn't care about anyone's dates, all that mattered was he 'decide' when he was ready to come. BTW, my mom was only 7 days late with me.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    DS was born at 41w5d. I went for a biophysical profile at, I think, 41w2d, and everything was fine. They scheduled me for induction at 42w, but luckily he came on his own.

I found it very irritating, however, that when I was in the office for the BPP, the ultrasound technician and the nurse both acted surprised and disapproving when I said I didn't want to be induced. And my OB had been hinting at it since I passed 40 weeks. But I stood my ground and said I wanted to wait until he was actually late to try induction.
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file