So I guess I look fat =/

KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
I had to cover our office receptionist for an hour today, so I was sitting at the front desk where a lot of people pass by. Our center's director came up and asked me my due date. I told her December 19th.

Her reply... "Oh wow, so you're showing really early!" with a surprised look on her face.

The thoughts going through my head at this point (in no particular order):
- Did she just call me fat?
- I didn't think I was showing that much
- WTF does she know anyway?

I was so stumped that I just mumbled something, but what the heck??? I'm already self conscious about my body going down the crapper, and then I get this ego boost at the end of my day. :roll: :evil:
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Most people can't do the math in their heads of how pregnant a woman is on June 20 if her due date is December 19. December always sounds SO FAR AWAY in the summer...I'd chalk her awkward comments up to denial on her part on how fast December will be here.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Most people can't do the math in their heads of how pregnant a woman is on June 20 if her due date is December 19. December always sounds SO FAR AWAY in the summer...I'd chalk her awkward comments up to denial on her part on how fast December will be here.

I was thinking this too. When I was 14 weeks like you are now, I was already in maternity pants. Don't feel bad Sweetie!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks guys! :) It still strikes me as extremely rude though. What if I really was bigger than I should be? That comment would have been really hurtful then! I guess she could be comparing me to the receptionist who just had a baby. She didn't really show until about 6 months, but she is naturally a much bigger girl than I am. I think I'm mostly shocked because you generally expect people of her position to have a bit more tact than this. :?

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    I really think a lot of people feel the need to say SOMETHING on topic to a pregnant woman, but they have no clue what to actually say, so in the interest of making conversation they say really dumb things that pop into their heads. Don't take it personally - I think it's just a stupid human trait.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Hi,

Maybe look at it another way-if you're naturally very slim, you would "show" more easily than someone who isn't slim (I have a lot of weight to lose, and did not "show" or gain any pregnancy weight until I was five months along). She might have meant that the rest of you is very small in proportion to your stomach. She certainly could have phrased it way more tactfully, though.

I'm sure you are just fine, though!

I'm very shy, and hated the extra attention from strangers when I was pregnant. I felt like hanging a sign around my neck with my due date and "it's a boy" written on it.

Please take care-
    Sherry
    I think I'm going to have one of these made for me. :lol:

cartoon22.png

• sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Bailey,

That is hysterical!!!

Luckily I didn't have too many people want to touch my stomach.

Hope you feel better now-
    Sherry
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    You'll get used to the stupid comments. It's like people have nothing but rude things to say about pregnant women - it doesn't help that you may be feeling a little more emotional too. I know I was/still am!

• velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Bailey, I bet you look just fine. :) People are idiots.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • cajuncurlscajuncurls Registered Users Posts: 270
    Don't worry about what people say ... you're doing a really important job right now!

I was in maternity pants by 10 weeks ... and all I heard was how big I was and there had to be more than one in there. Nope, just one.
    Then from 5-8 months everyone commented on how I didn't show very much. Go figure!
    Now no one's saying that. It looks like I swallowed a basketball, which is the way it should be when you're carrying around a 5 pound person 24/7. I've got the rest of my life to diet but only 9 mo. to make sure this little girl is healthy.
    Did you do it for love? Did you do it for money? Did you do it for spite? Did you think you had to, honey?
    - Eagles

age.png

age.png
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    cajuncurls wrote:
    I've got the rest of my life to diet but only 9 mo. to make sure this little girl is healthy.

What a glorious quote!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    You have to wonder if the women who do these things (comment on how you are too big or too small, try to touch your stomach etc.) ever had kids themselves. If they did, don't they remember how it felt and did they actually LIKE it? And even if they don't have kids, haven't they ever heard people complain about these things before?

I know I definitely won't be making any comments like this in the future (I don't recall doing it before, but I will definitely be sure I don't now!)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

I've told a couple of people this morning, and I think the whole thing is pretty funny today. It just caught me so off guard yesterday. I don't know if this woman's had kids, but obviously she has no clue. I wasn't even wearing maternity pants yesterday. If I still fit into my regular jeans (albeit with the top button open), I know I can't be showing that much. I better get used to these comments. I'm usually pretty thick-skinned when it comes to most things, but I am pretty sensitive about weight. Time to get over that, I guess.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Betcha I'm bigger! :wink:

(I'd hate to think of what they'd say about me...)

• Ab-starAb-star Registered Users Posts: 1,128
    Maybe she meant your pregnancy 'glow' was showing! ;)
    geeky wrote:
    I really think a lot of people feel the need to say SOMETHING on topic to a pregnant woman, but they have no clue what to actually say, so in the interest of making conversation they say really dumb things that pop into their heads.

I totally agree with that!
    MY HAIR ALBUM
    pw - jack

Going natural for the summer...just a dab of ArcAngell!
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Trust me. Every pregnant woman is different. I didn't fit in my pants after 8 weeks...By 12 weeks I was looking for maternity pants.

I found that woman who have never been pregnant usually make the rude comments about weight gain...either because they don't know any better or they are just plain rude and think I won't let that happen to me.

Women who have been pregnant....will tell you that you look great, beautiful...etc.
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    It always surprised me that I got so many comments regarding how I looked, carried, and my weight. I would never have the balls to say anything about anyone's weight, pregnant or not. People asked me all the time how much weight I had gained!
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I'm in the same "is she fat or is she pregnant?" stage as you are (due early January). I feel self-conscious also. I don't think this woman knew what she was talking about ... she just felt she had to say something.

Unfortunately, the comments just get worse as time goes on...

I was 38 or so weeks pregnant, and expectedly huge and this woman in the mall loudly blurts out "Are you OVERDUE???". I'm thinking, "Yeah, that's actually a 2 year old in there...". What exactly does overdue look like?

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    What exactly does overdue look like?

Umm, yeah.

If I hear, "you look like you're ready" one more time... :x
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814

I'll second that! I am 16 weeks w/ #2. I started showing right away! I swear, I knew I was pregnant b4 the pink line showed. Crazy thing is I didn't REALLY show last time until aroun 7.5 months. Aww, gotta love those stretched out stomach muscles! :lol:
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    Bailey422 wrote:
    If I still fit into my regular jeans (albeit with the top button open), I know I can't be showing that much. I better get used to these comments. I'm usually pretty thick-skinned when it comes to most things, but I am pretty sensitive about weight. Time to get over that, I guess.

Want a neat trick I picked up if you still want to wear your jeans? Loop a rubber band through the button hole and then loop it around the button. Gives you the extra room but a little more security against the pants falling down! ;)
    3b (I think!)
    HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
    http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Want a neat trick I picked up if you still want to wear your jeans? Loop a rubber band through the button hole and then loop it around the button. Gives you the extra room but a little more security against the pants falling down! ;)

Love the rubberband trick. Did it with both pants and skirts. Just have to make sure the shirt is long enough to cover the fact that the pants are undone!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    PixieCurl wrote:

Love the rubberband trick. Did it with both pants and skirts. Just have to make sure the shirt is long enough to cover the fact that the pants are undone!

Yep, and if the shirt isn't long enough, a long tank underneath is your best friend.

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte

I'll second that! I am 16 weeks w/ #2. I started showing right away! :lol:

I'm 12 weeks along, and as of last weekend, I've pulled out the maternity clothes. I figure I've already got them, and if I'm going to look fat then I might as well be comfortable...

Bailey422 wrote:
    If I still fit into my regular jeans (albeit with the top button open), I know I can't be showing that much. I better get used to these comments. I'm usually pretty thick-skinned when it comes to most things, but I am pretty sensitive about weight. Time to get over that, I guess.

That's what I had been doing, but I think I hit a growth spurt this weekend b/c it's suddenly not working so well anymore.

• subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    ignore her. i was a super **** while pregnant so i admire your ability to not punch her in the face!

one of the more interesting times of my pregnancy was when i was in that inbetween stage of showing/not showing. id always ask my boyfriend, "fat, pregnant, or whore?" some of my clothes made me look like i had a belly, but not a pregnant belly..just a fat one. then some clothes i actually looked like a pregnant lady. then lastly were the clothes that were basically too small but i didnt want to let go of--my shirt would be too short so my stomach would show, also revealing that the top button of my jeans was unbuttoned! hence the 3rd category of "whore" :D brian was so used to me asking "fat, pregnant, or whore?" that one day i was like "hey, i have a question..." and he goes "whore!" the funny/sad part was that i wasnt asking him which one of the 3 i looked like, i had a question about something else. but i did change my outfit. :lol:
    This morning I saw someone I hadn't seen in a while here at work. She signed "you're getting big" which in the way she signed it translates to husky or football player big (in the shoulders).

I tell myself time and time again that Deaf culture is blunt, but it still bothers me. I told my mom this afternoon and how I wanted to say "so are you" back to her, but didn't. Mom told me to be nice. :roll:

• PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    subbrock wrote:
    ignore her. i was a super &%$@#! while pregnant so i admire your ability to not punch her in the face!

one of the more interesting times of my pregnancy was when i was in that inbetween stage of showing/not showing. id always ask my boyfriend, "fat, pregnant, or whore?" some of my clothes made me look like i had a belly, but not a pregnant belly..just a fat one. then some clothes i actually looked like a pregnant lady. then lastly were the clothes that were basically too small but i didnt want to let go of--my shirt would be too short so my stomach would show, also revealing that the top button of my jeans was unbuttoned! hence the 3rd category of "whore" :Dbrian was so used to me asking "fat, pregnant, or whore?" that one day i was like "hey, i have a question..." and he goes "whore!" the funny/sad part was that i wasnt asking him which one of the 3 i looked like, i had a question about something else. but i did change my outfit. :lol:

:lol:
    3c/4a
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Registered Users Posts: 4,263
    Munchy wrote:
    You'll get used to the stupid comments. It's like people have nothing but rude things to say about pregnant women - it doesn't help that you may be feeling a little more emotional too. I know I was/still am!

It KILLS me what people say! I was writing for the paper when I was pregnant and I wrote a WHOLE column on it.

People telling me I look like I'm having twins..people telling me that I look like I'm gonna pop..people saying that can't ALL be baby.. :roll:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file