Skin discoloration

firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
I have 3 spots on my face that are discolored. I don't know if they're age spots (I hope not, at only 30 I shouldn't have that sort of damage), or from hormonal bc or freckles gone wild or what. I think they're really detracting from my beauty, and I'd like to reduce/remove them.

I'm fair skinned, blonde-ish and have blue eyes. Might kojic acid work? Are there better (yet still inexpensive) options? Do age spots have a different texture than the rest of the skin, because these do?

There seems to be a lot out there, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what actually works and what is just hype.

Maybe I just need a trip to the dermatologist.
Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
Love the hair!

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have freckles (like) and sun spots/melasma on one side of my face (don't like). I purchased OTC Alpha Hydrox used it for about 2 weeks didn't see any difference. Then got a prescrition for Tri-luma, which is working much better/faster.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ tri-luma and hydroquinone are the two best products for fading freckles and "age spots".
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    I don't want to be an alarmist, but considering how fair you are, I think a trip to the derm to rule out anything more serious than an age spot or two is probably a good idea. And once you're there, he/she would definitely be able to prescribe tri-luma or a stronger formulation of hydroquinone than is available over-the-counter, or maybe even something else that they think would be effective in your case, like microdermabrasion, IPL photofacial, etc.
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    Koukla72 wrote:
    I don't want to be an alarmist, but considering how fair you are, I think a trip to the derm to rule out anything more serious than an age spot or two is probably a good idea. And once you're there, he/she would definitely be able to prescribe tri-luma or a stronger formulation of hydroquinone than is available over-the-counter, or maybe even something else that they think would be effective in your case, like microdermabrasion, IPL photofacial, etc.

Thanks, Koukla, I think I will do just that. Age spots at this point would be pretty bizarre. I don't think I've gotten THAT much sun damage, and my mom, who burns more easily than I do, doesn't even have any. So yeah - dermatologist to be safe.
    Love the hair!
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Good luck, Firelily, and definitely let us know how it turns out! :)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The "different texture" aspect gives me pause...I would definitely suggest you see a dermatologist, soon, just to be on the safe side. My hyperpigmentation doesn't have a different texture. I had some minimal success fading it with kojic acid and Retin-A and mandelic acid, but I was able to get rid of ALL of it with Tri-Luma. It comes back, though, so I have to keep using Tri-Luma on a maintenance schedule.
    Thankfully I have a dr's appt on Monday, so I'll get a referral then. Hopefully the dermatologist will be able to see me within a reasonable amount of time - and hopefully it's nothing serious.
    Love the hair!
    It turns out they are most likely giant freckles. :?

My NP did recommend trying some 1% hydrocortisone for a few weeks, though, as it may be some non-itchy form of eczema. I'm not sure which is better. :roll:
    Love the hair!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ALong with the suggestions above, it sounds as if your sunscreen doesn't have enough UVA protection, hence the hyperpigmentation.

Hopefully they are just freckles!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    at least you have some idea what you're dealing with. once you get the texture sorted out, definitely try a lightening cream.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    ALong with the suggestions above, it sounds as if your sunscreen doesn't have enough UVA protection, hence the hyperpigmentation.

Hopefully they are just freckles!

I just added in an spf 45 face & neck lotion with titanium dioxide, in addition to the spf 20 that's already in my daily face lotion. I love my freckles (they don't go away ever, but they do fade somewhat during the winter), but it's gone a bit too far.
    Love the hair!
    rouquinne wrote:
    at least you have some idea what you're dealing with. once you get the texture sorted out, definitely try a lightening cream.

Will do!
    Love the hair!
    Grrr, it's only getting worse, and it's now itchy!

It's another trip to the dr for me this week, and then hopefully a referral to a dermatologist.
    Love the hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file