Do you use facial sunscreen/moisturizer?

southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
I have been reading a lot of magazine articles about how harmful sun exposure can be, and how beneficial sunscreen can be in terms of preventing wrinkles and cancer. So, I want to start really taking care of my skin before it gets too late. What do y'all do when it comes to sunscreen for your face? Do you use a moisturizer WITH sunscreen in it? That's what I do, but it seems like the sunscreen seems to be irritating my skin (especially now that I've started acne.org's Regimen). So should I just use a regular, gentle moisturizer w/o spf, and then apply sunscreen only when I need it? Sorry my questions are confusing...I don't really know how to ask what I'm trying to figure out. :oops: Basically, I guess I just want to know what has worked best for y'all. Thanks!
EXTREMELY thick, medium 3B-3C hair;
I have yet to find a hair twin ANYWHERE...website or real life :(

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been using Olay Complete with SPF30 but with my 45 min each way commute still got sun spots/melasma. I upped to the high-priced spread (also because I'm aging) - L'Occitane Immortelle Very Precious Fluid with SPF45. It's the price that very precious.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • southernbelle08southernbelle08 Posts: 199Registered Users
    suburban-Does it sting, burn, or feel/look greasy?

Current routine: Um, I don't feel like updating my siggie every thirty minutes. :) I'm experimenting right now! (loving the overnight plop!)
  • firelilyfirelily Posts: 1,298Registered Users
    Have you tried using a titanium dioxide based sunscreen for your face in addition to a gentle moisturizer?
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
    Um, I'm not really sure. Is the titanium oxide good or bad for your skin?

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i also use the Olay Complete, buy i also carry a parasol everywhere i go!

:D

it doesn't burn, sting or feel greasy to me.

my past columns about sun protection:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=309

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=454

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlcolumns/articles.php?id=2503
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    titanium dioxide is a physical sun block rather than a chemical one. people who are allergic to chemcial sunscreens can often use this.
    My blog:

Ahhhhh....I thought it was something like that. Come to think of it, the stuff I'm using right now definitely does not have titanium oxide (or whatever it is) in it. I'll be on the look out for non-chemical sunscreens. Thanks! I liked your articles, too, roquinne!

• Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Another vote for Olay Complete.

I don't like the idea of using a separate sunscreen over a moisturizer because I worry that the sunscreen will be diluted by the moisturizer. Plus I think it would just make my face feel coated.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't use a daily liquid sunscreen. They all break me out and leave me greasy and looking...well, less than lovely. What I do is wear mineral makeup every day, which contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. It really does a much better job than liquid sunscreens. I've been out in the sun wearing sunscreen on the rest of my body and only mineral makeup on my face, and gotten BURNED right through the sunscreen on my body, but my face got no exposure at all.
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    I just started using BeFine Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15, and I LOVE it. It's feather-light and doesn't irritate my very sensitive skin, and it actually seems to prevent it from getting oily during the day.

They sell it at CVS, but you can check it out at http://www.befine.com
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So if I wear mineral makeup (Pureluxe), I don't need a separate sunscreen? I always have trouble with shine so if I could skip it I would. Of course I would wear it if I was going to be outside for more than a short time. But most days my sun exposure is incidental.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sdcurly wrote:
    So if I wear mineral makeup (Pureluxe), I don't need a separate sunscreen? I always have trouble with shine so if I could skip it I would. Of course I would wear it if I was going to be outside for more than a short time. But most days my sun exposure is incidental.

Yes, that's exactly what I do...wear just mineral makeup for everday-incidental exposure, and only wear sunscreen if I'm really going to be out in the sun, like at the pool or beach or hiking or something, and even then, I try to wear a hat the whole time too.

I love Pureluxe's enhancing powders...April's Mix and You Glow Girl. They have gorgeous eyecolors too.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    suburban-Does it sting, burn, or feel/look greasy?
    Not at all; it's goes on a very light film.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    sdcurly wrote:
    ...days my sun exposure is incidental.

that's where parasols and hats come in so handy!

My blog:

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I only use it when I'm going out in the summer. :oops: After my moisturizer, I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 45, which is reccommended on skincare at the acne forums. It works quite nicely and doesn't irritate my skin!
    3b-3c CG
    rouquinne wrote:
    sdcurly wrote:
    ...days my sun exposure is incidental.

that's where parasols and hats come in so handy!

But hats ruin my hair and I'm sorry I'm not carrying a parasol. I do wear a hat if I am going sailing or hiking.

Thanks for the tip RCW.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I apply Aveeno Sunblock SPF 30 for face after my moisturizer, before my foundation. It doesn't leave a greasy feeling on my skin at all.

1460_s.gif
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been trying to get in the habit of wearing sunscreen daily, but EVERYTHING breaks me out. It's very frustrating. So I've resorted to just wearing it when I can't avoid being out in the sun, otherwise I stay in the shade. When I do wear it, I use either Coppertone f/f o/f spf15 or Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch spf30.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Believe it or not but I am using Wet & Wild's tinted moisturizer with SPF 15. It's not greasy, blends in smoothly and gives my face a touch of color.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    all right, so I'm getting the drift that Aveeno spf 30 is a good one. Or Olay Complete. Right?

sdcurly wrote:
    But most days my sun exposure is incidental.

most of the sun exposure we get in our lives is incidental... through glass or on cloudy days when people think they don't need it.
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote:
    sdcurly wrote:
    But most days my sun exposure is incidental.

most of the sun exposure we get in our lives is incidental... through glass or on cloudy days when people think they don't need it.

I understand that. But the reason I was pointing it out is to find out if wearing mineral makeup with sunscreen is adequate for those days. I know I need a full sunscreen on days I am going to be in the sun for any length of time.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    tinicurlyd wrote:
    I use Aveeno Sph 30 for my face every single day even in winter and so far so good . even tho i tan easily i have been using mousterizers and sunscreen since i was a teen. i guess it works since i have so far good skin at 32 and no wrinkles yet. i even use BM with my sun screen that has a sph of 15 so that helps too.If im in the hot sun at a pool i tend to cover my face and not tan there as much.

I also use mine daily even in the winter. Believe it or not, my makeup goes on better using this over my moisturizer. One day I forgot to apply the sunblock :shock: and my makeup looked completely different.
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Think of your sunblock as being as necessary as your cleanser and moisturizer, and WEAR it daily, year-round, no matter what the weather. For too many years I did not follow this advice, but I do now! Even if you don't ordinarily apply sunblock to the body(with being covered up with heavier clothes you don't have to anyway), one's poor face and hands are exposed all the time, and take the brunt of sun damage if not protected. Right now, it's your best anti-aging bet(along a broad-brimmed hat and protective clothing) if you're still young in that it will ward off both present and future damage(you know, the kind that surfaces decades after one's tanning years, the kind that we mature ladies have because there weren't good sunblocks around when we were young!). And even if you're older it's never too late to start - at this point it can really help damage from getting worse, and it might even improve things somewhat. But for more serious improvement you have to get good treatment products and procedures anyway.
    So, yes, finding a facial sunblock that you like and will wear consistently should be the priority skin care, along with your cleanser and moisturizer. Your skin will thank you for it down the road!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • sfisher323sfisher323 Posts: 537Registered Users
    Always. Every day all year, whether or not there's sun. I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 for about a year now I think. I just found the same lotion with SPF 45 and stocked up. I mix it with my regular moisturizer in the morning. It's super light - I love it.
    embracing my inner curl since late Nov 2006
    2b/3a (I think?)
    color-treated red/brown, medium-textured hair
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
    sfisher323 wrote:
    I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 for about a year now I think. I just found the same lotion with SPF 45 and stocked up. I mix it with my regular moisturizer in the morning. It's super light - I love it.

So it's all right to literally mix the sunscreen with the moisturizer? (I don't know why it wouldn't be...I just want to clarify before I do something wrong :wink: )

Also, is anyone here on The Regimen? I started another topic about it in this forum somewhere, but it hasn't gotten much response. For those of you that are on it, is it OK to add sunscreen to the routine? I'm only about a week or so into the regimen, and I don't want to have the sunscreen be counterproductive or irritating at such an early stage. Plus, since I'm just now into it, my skin is EXTREMELY irritated, dry, and peeling. It burns to put stuff on it, so I'm kind of scared to put anything too harsh. I'm going to keep fighting through, and hopefully the "pain" will subside within the next few weeks. What should I do about sunscreen, though? UGH.

sdcurly wrote:
    ... the reason I was pointing it out is to find out if wearing mineral makeup with sunscreen is adequate for those days. I know I need a full sunscreen on days I am going to be in the sun for any length of time.

do you put your mineral makeup EVENLY ALL OVER your face, neck and ears every time you put it on?

if your answer is NO, you know what i'm going to tell you...

(and i said something to that effect in one of my sunscreen columns over the past few years.)
    My blog:

don't mix sunscreen with moisturizer - it honestly diminishes the effectiveness of the sunscreen (and i'll try to find a citation for that for you).

i use my sunscreen as my moisturizer. of course, i use Olay Complete which is a combo product to begin.
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote:
    don't mix sunscreen with moisturizer - it honestly diminishes the effectiveness of the sunscreen (and i'll try to find a citation for that for you).

i use my sunscreen as my moisturizer. of course, i use Olay Complete which is a combo product to begin.

PHEW!! Thanks for saving me from making a mistake!! ;)

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use physical sunscreens with active ingredients of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide every day, regardless of what the weather is doing outside. IME, it's hard to find physical s/s with an SPF of more than 30 -- that only has those 2 as the active ingredients. My skin has cleared up a lot with very few new pimples since switching to physical s/s, not to mention no stinging.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file