Banking cord blood?

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
Has anyone done this? I have been hearing a lot about it but I am not sure if it is really worth the expense or if the chances of it being needed later are high enough to go for it. Did anyone consider this and what did you decide?
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    After the research I did, the cost of banking it vs. the probability of one of us needing it just did not seem worth it. I looked into donating the cord blood to a public cord blood bank (if lots of people did that then people would not need to bank their own cord blood) but the hospital where I gave birth was not set up for this. I will definitely look into donation again if I have another. I personally think that is the way to go.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    geeky wrote:
    After the research I did, the cost of banking it vs. the probability of one of us needing it just did not seem worth it. I looked into donating the cord blood to a public cord blood bank (if lots of people did that then people would not need to bank their own cord blood) but the hospital where I gave birth was not set up for this. I will definitely look into donation again if I have another. I personally think that is the way to go.

I think it's crazy that all hospitals aren't set up for donation I would have donated both times if I would have been able to.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I would have donated it but didn't get the chance. It didn't seem worth the expense to bank it for us.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • pitgirlpitgirl Registered Users Posts: 162
    In the UK we have the same service available. I researched it all with my first and decided not to because;

1. The costs of banking it are huge
    2. They don't know if it will actually work if there was ever a need for it.
    3. You have to pay some costs in advance and although the midwives will collect it, there is a time limit and should there be any complications they will act for mother and baby first. Cord blood retrieval is not at the top of their priority list.

We decided it wasn't worth because it really did sound like someone cashing in on a new idea and taking advantage of paranoid parents.

In the US you may have more reasurring info though :D
    3a Redhead
    Umberto Giannini & Curls Rock Amp
    Fotki pw: curls

.png

.png
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I also would have donated if the option was easily available.

In addition to the reasons others have posted wrt not storing cord blood, you also don't know if the company that you are paying to bank it will even be around 20-30 years down the road when you/your child might need the blood.

• PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    Setting up a cord blood bank is an expensive proposition, which is why not every hospital does it.

That being said, there's a cord blood bank in every major city and lots of smaller ones, so you can absolutely donate your cord blood.

I agree that paying to bank it for yourself is prohibitively expensive. But do consider donating it; it'll do someone some good!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    PartyHair wrote:
    Setting up a cord blood bank is an expensive proposition, which is why not every hospital does it.

The issue that I ran into is that by the time I decided on donation (one of my last OB appointments) I got one of those brochures and it said that I had to send in a form and then I would receive a kit in the mail and I'd have to take it to the hospital and then tell them to use it. It said to allow 4 weeks for delivery of the kit, and I was less than 4 weeks from delivery.

To be perfectly honest, with all of the hullabaloo that surrounded my delivery, I doubt anyone would have remembered to collect the cord blood anyways.

I think they should keep those kits at the hospital and ask you if you want to donate. I delivered at a premiere research hospital, they should actively encourage donation IMO.

• deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    even with Stevens condition, more than 5 docters did not reccommend banking it. They said, the companies are really making a killing, and we are not sure the long term effects on the cord blood among other things.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I think for now, cord blood banking is not worth the expense, and I have read that many doctors agree. But, like Geeky said, you might look and see if there is a public cord blood bank there. Donating cord blood is really worth it--you may help save another person's life.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AlwayscurlyAlwayscurly Registered Users Posts: 35 Curl Connoisseur
    I am involved with a family whose 4 year old just got a LIFE SAVING cord blood transplant. We all thank the family that was able to do this back in 1999. Unfortunately, it IS expensive, but if there's a way to do it, consider that a child with cancer might live because of you and your baby!
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I am involved with a family whose 4 year old just got a LIFE SAVING cord blood transplant. We all thank the family that was able to do this back in 1999. Unfortunately, it IS expensive, but if there's a way to do it, consider that a child with cancer might live because of you and your baby!

Alwayscurly, I think you are confusing cord blood banking and cord blood donation.

Cord blood banking is when you pay lots of money to have a company store your baby's cord blood in case the baby or another family member needs it one day.

Cord blood donation is free. You donate the cord blood to a public bank where it helps whoever is a match for it. This sounds like what you mean when you say "a child with cancer might live because of you and your baby," but in that case, it's not expensive--it's free, because you are donating it.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I didn't. If you are caucasian, there is a very good chance if you needed it that a public bank would have a match. I think that most transplants are actually done using cord blood from public banks. So I didn't see the point of paying for it. I would have donated, but it wasn't possible in my hospital.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    curlymel wrote:
    I didn't. If you are caucasian, there is a very good chance if you needed it that a public bank would have a match. I think that most transplants are actually done using cord blood from public banks. So I didn't see the point of paying for it. I would have donated, but it wasn't possible in my hospital.

That's what I have heard. My husband and I have rare blood types more common in people of African descent, so assume our child/ren would be likely to have the same, so there's less chance blood would be available for them. On the other hand, other children of African descent are probably in need right now, so I think I will look into donating.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file