Hair is drying me to death!

drammy04drammy04 Registered Users Posts: 42
Ok, so my hair is driving me crazy once again! I can't seem to find the right combo of products to keep my hair from looking and feeling dry. In my pictures, my hair is usually damp. Here is what I currently use:

V05 Tea Therapy - Love this product. Cowash with it
CD Hair Milk - Can't tell anything
Nairobi Leave In - Stylist swears by it. Just started using it
Nexxus Humectress Conditioner - Can't tell anything
Fantasia IC blue gel - Seems to dry my hair out... feels crunchy?
Coconut Oil - Oil just sits on my hair I guess b/c olive oil didn't work either

I've tried different methods, such as adding product when it is super wet, adding the gel last, combing product through, etc. Nothing works. When wet my hair is fine, but when it dries it's hard and feels like a brillo pad. I don't know what product to turn to next. Please help.

Comments

• mslanee1mslanee1 Registered Users Posts: 439
    I have not been doing this things for a long time, so I am by all means not an expert. But from my own experience, a Deep conditoner with some olive oil and honey added in, once a week worked wonders for my hair. I do that treatment weekly, and i sit under a hooded dryer for 20 min with the DT mix I make.
    CURRENT PRODUCTS: Oyin Honey Hemp, Honey Wash, Burnt Sugar Pomade, Shine and Define, and Whipped Pudding. Also loving HH Hello Hydration and HENNA!

• denisemouniedenisemounie Registered Users Posts: 255
    I feel your pain girl!

I recently bought Curl Junkie Guava and Protein Curl Creme and applied to wet air, and surprisingly my hair dried soft! yayyy! I used it alone. Just to note: I opted to purchase the creme with protein because my hair has been chemically altered (chemicals break down the protein in the hair shaft), but I recommend you trying any of their curl cremes that do not have protein.

Also, IC gel doesn't work for me either.. always leaves my hair dry. plus, i really don't need the hold because my hair is dense (your hair seems dense too).

I think coconut oil could be contributing to the dryness of your hair too. During my Diane Da Costa visit she told me that coconut oil is drying to our hair. Now, the olive oil should be good for you. but not as a daily oil. Olive oil is best when used as a deep treatment (after cowash under a dryer).

Also, your hair might need some Deep Treatment TLC! :P I alternate between hotoil treatments and deep treatments under the soft bonnet dryer. It really has helped to keep my hair moist.

HTS!!
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

http://public.fotki.com/denisemounie/
  • curlynikkicurlynikki Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    You may be protein sensitive...I am. Whenever I use products that have a sig. amount of protein in them, my hair feels brittle, hard and dry. I recently stopped using all conditioners w/ protein and cut out most of the stylers w/ protein near the top of the ingredient list. I have most certainly noticed a difference.

hth
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte

I'm seeing products with a fair amount of oils as ingredients. Which is fine -- if you shampoo occasionally. If you don't the oil can build up and prevent moisture from reaching your hair. Check the ingredients of the Nairobi leave in. If it has a silicone based ingredient (usually ends with -cone or -xane) that can serve as a water blocker as well.

You didn't say whether you shampoo your hair. I don't follow a strict no-shampoo CG, routine I occasionally (2-3 times a month) shampoo with a gentle non-sulfate shampoo to remove product build-up, oil buildup, etc. (I use a tiny amount of oil almost every day).

Products can still build up on my hair even though the only silicone ingredients I use are water-soluble, because it is fine and somewhat porous. I shampoo whenever products don't seem to be working or absorbing well. I'll usually do a DT at this time too. I also put moisture back into my hair with leave-in conditioners and castor oil on my wet clean ends.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • drammy04drammy04 Registered Users Posts: 42
    To deep condition, I first cowashed with the V05. Then, I used Elasta QP Serum mixed with honey and olive oil. Then I added the Nairobi leave-in and used CD Healthy Hair Butter. It worked wonders on my hair! It feels way softer and moisturized withoutthe feeling of product sitting on my hair. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stay that way.Thanks for the tips!

P.S - I'm going to New York at the beginning of August, and I was thinking about getting an Ouidad haircut or going to Diane DeCosta, since I will be at the seven month mark and in need of a trim. Is my hair long enough for the Ouidad splicing haircut?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I looked at your journal. I would not recommend the carve/slice cut for your hair. Because I think you would miss the volume and hair would shrink to fill in the places where volume was removed. The Ouidad cut was developed to take the bulk out of "A-frame" hair that looked like Rosanne rosanadanna and that medium length. But it wouldn't hurt to go for a consultation first if you're local. I would go to Dianne Da Costa, Devachan or Christo.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Registered Users Posts: 126
    ITA with Suburbanbushbabe it may be time to clarify...
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • CuteCoilsCuteCoils Registered Users Posts: 118
    I agree with the other ladies. A good clarifying treatment might be just the thing! You can try a baking soda or vinegar scrub or if you need more intensive clarifying; Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo or Suave's Rosemary & Quillaja Clarifying Shampoo.

A great leave-in to try is Rasta Jamaican's mango & Lime Cactus Leave-In Moisturizer - Original formula (it's really, really good and some even use it alone with no products added).

good luck!
    Products and Books That Changed My Life!:

1. Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book
    by Jane Johnson (amazon.com)

2. Honey+Conditioner=The BestDang DT, Ever!

3. Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta 'Poo&Cond.
    4. Hair Milk
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    drammy04,

How is your hair? Still dry? Do you conditioner wash everyday?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Oh yeah, I've since scraped the Guava Protein cream... I've recently discovered Karen Body Beautiful's Hair Cream!! My hair has been nothing but moisturized since... all day moisture! :D
    4a/4b... at this point, Henna has to be my friend, cause I've tried EVERYTHING else!!

Henna, Afro Detangler, KBB hair cream, Vitamin E oil, Qhemet AOHC, AND no more letting my hair dry curly... darn knots are driving me crazy!!:happy7:

• ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Yea! :) Glad you found a product that worked. Perhaps you were protein sensitive. If the Karen cream is low protein or protein free, you should add it to the thread I started a products with low/no proteins. It would be helpful if you could leave description with ingredients and what type of scent it has.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote:
    Yea! :) Glad you found a product that worked. Perhaps you were protein sensitive. If the Karen cream is low protein or protein free, you should add it to the thread I started a products with low/no proteins. It would be helpful if you could leave description with ingredients and what type of scent it has.

No, I don't think it was the protein. my hair was/has been dry since forever.. all good when wet, but dries hard. majority of my products are low/no protein. i just think that the products i've been trying just aren't moisturizing enough... as my hair is EXTREMELY porous.

you can go to www.karensbodybeautiful.com and see also the thread in 3c 'amazing new product' for more info...

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso

I'm seeing products with a fair amount of oils as ingredients. Which is fine -- if you shampoo occasionally. If you don't the oil can build up and prevent moisture from reaching your hair. Check the ingredients of the Nairobi leave in. If it has a silicone based ingredient (usually ends with -cone or -xane) that can serve as a water blocker as well.

You didn't say whether you shampoo your hair. I don't follow a strict no-shampoo CG, routine I occasionally (2-3 times a month) shampoo with a gentle non-sulfate shampoo to remove product build-up, oil buildup, etc. (I use a tiny amount of oil almost every day).

Products can still build up on my hair even though the only silicone ingredients I use are water-soluble, because it is fine and somewhat porous. I shampoo whenever products don't seem to be working or absorbing well. I'll usually do a DT at this time too. I also put moisture back into my hair with leave-in conditioners and castor oil on my wet clean ends.

I agree. Nexxus Humectress contains mineral oil and that is not water soluable. So if you aren't shampooing at least occasionally, it will build up and dry out your hair.

I don't know if Carol's Daughter hair milk and the Nairobi product are water soluable. Are they?

Also, it's not necessary to wash w/ conditioner every time you wash your hair.

• foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918

Maybe its just the products you use:
    The Humectress has protein in it and I found frequent use to be drying. Fantasia IC Gel also has protein. When I used CD Hair Milk it just sat on top of my hair, it was just oily and waxy.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file