Yuck! Clumpy goop!

DitdahDitdah Registered Users Posts: 151
I was trying to make my own version of the curl-defining spray/all-in-one spray. I mixed the following, in this order:

~ 3 oz distilled H2O
few squirts alove vera gel (lilly of the valley brand)
5 drops jojoba oil
1 tsp epsom salt
5 drops "GSE" - grapefruit seed extract in vegetable glycerine (no other ingreds)

When I started to stir it, I got lots of little white clumps. As I kept stirring, the clumps stuck together, and I fished out a gummy white clump of "plasticy goo."

All of these are in my all-in-one spray, with the addition of reguar (HE SMU) gel and conditioner, and that didn't curdle. Anyone have any idea why this did?
2B/3A, THICK. CG since 6/5/07
Alternating Deva LoPoo/VO5 Kiwi Lime, OneC, re:coil, Alagio Curl Cream, LTW, LOOB.
Always looking to buy/swap for re:coil, Deva Brown stuff
PW: hair

Comments

• echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I have had that before and I think it is the epsom salts reacting to the glycerine. Just a guess though, we'd need one of the site chemists to confirm it.
    Also, I have found that using Aloe Vera JUICE (which you can get at a healthfood store)instead of the gel works well and isn't as goopy. Use the one that is organic with no added sugars.

I do this...
    distilled water
    jojoba oil
    aloe juice
    glycerine
    scented essential oil

Since I can never get the right amount of epsom in I usually just leave it out altogether. The other ingred are good enough with a bit of scrunching to encourage the curl. Just my opinion though, you may be different...
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • DitdahDitdah Registered Users Posts: 151
    Well, I made another batch last night, and left out the glycerine/grapefruit seed extract. I figured I'd only be using it for a day or so to see if I liked it, so i wasn't worried about the preservative effects of the gse. Worked pretty well this morning, but when I came home I had little white chunks in the bottle.

So, I dumped and cleaned, and mixed this (thanks to your suggestion, echokitten:)
    distilled water
    2 squirts HE SMU (ran out of aloe vera)
    4 drops jojoba oil
    5 drops glycerine/gse mix
    4 drops essential oil blend

I haven't used it yet, but I'm hoping with the omission of the salts, I'll have better results!
    2B/3A, THICK. CG since 6/5/07
    Alternating Deva LoPoo/VO5 Kiwi Lime, OneC, re:coil, Alagio Curl Cream, LTW, LOOB.
    Always looking to buy/swap for re:coil, Deva Brown stuff
    PW: hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file