Travel advice for infants

sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
DH, Connor, and I will be taking a holiday to England in August. So, this will involve an 11 or 12 hour flight (including one stop). Does anyone have any advice about traveling with infants? He will be 7 months old at that time.

Some ideas I've had:
-The outgoing flight is overnight, so I'm hoping he'll sleep the whole time. Not sure about the return flight.
-We'll take the sling, because that usually makes him calm down/fall asleep if all else fails.
-He goes to the ped in about a month, and I might ask her about giving Benadryl or other sedatives for the flight. :wink:

Any other advice or experiences?
ehLB.jpg

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I did a 7 hour international flight (with stopover) alone with DS when he was 7 months old. Its actually a nice age for travel. They are generally pretty happy and cooperative and not mobile.

I didn't sedate DS but I can see the advantage of doing so and likely will the next time we fly (he's 21 months now and a terror). DS really gets bad ear pain during take off and landing and screams his little heart out. I think that mild sedation will make him more comfortable. If you do opt for Benadryl or Nyquil (after talking to your doc) make sure you do a test run. On some kids, these meds have a stimulating effect and that's definitely NOT what you want!

Bring a change of clothing, or two. Something about plane travel seems to stimulate massive blowouts! I didn't bring many toys but at that age DS loved playing with the barf bag and an empty cup and stuff like that. If he eats little snacks, bring those and a bottle (or breast) for comfort and to help relieve ear pressure.

You can gate check your stroller (bring it right to the plane) so long as you can collapse it and get it through the X-ray machine at security.

And remember if all starts to go wrong, keep repeating "I'll never see these people again.... I'll never see these people again....".

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, 7 month olds are so perfect...don't drug him. That is the happiest and easiest age for travel.

I really loved this stroller for airline travel. You can push it right to your airplane seat, then just collapse the wheels and handle, and it becomes a carseat. No gate checking necessary! It's a pretty good stroller too...nice push, as long as you're not taking it offroad or something. It'll take you through an entire vacation, including planes, buses, subways, and taxis.

http://www.amazon.com/SitnStroll-5-n-1-Combination-Carseat-Stroller/dp/B0006UF43M
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I traveled with Xander at 7 months and did almost nothing differently than usual. He even took his naps at regular time. I didn't need toys for him because he was a big people watcher back then.

He and my stepmom flew recently and I got this for them. http://gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html It is cheaper than the Sit-n- Stroll that RCW posted. It worked for us because my stepmom had a stroller on the other end and because I was being cheap.

It shouldn't be too bad since you will be traveling with your DH but make sure to ask for help when you need it. Trying to board with an infant and all of his stuff can be tough.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I traveled with Xander at 7 months and did almost nothing differently than usual. He even took his naps at regular time. I didn't need toys for him because he was a big people watcher back then.

He and my stepmom flew recently and I got this for them. http://gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html It is cheaper than the Sit-n- Stroll that RCW posted. It worked for us because my stepmom had a stroller on the other end and because I was being cheap.

It shouldn't be too bad since you will be traveling with your DH but make sure to ask for help when you need it. Trying to board with an infant and all of his stuff can be tough.

I also recommend the gogo kidz travelmate. I used it when DD was 11 months and recently at 17 months. I wouldn't have dreamed about traveling with her at 7 months. She was way too cranky (and still is).

Anyway, it helps keep you hands free. Also, backpacks for all adults.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    I traveled with DJ at around 8 months and he was perfect. Of course, he cried here and there, but overall, he was very easy to please.

I didn't travel with a stroller or anything (I only went to CA from TN), so my traveling was very easy.
    3c/4a
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Yay, thanks for the encouragement. The Benadryl was just an idea I've heard; hopefully we won't need that.

DS does really well in the car, so hopefully a plane trip will be similar (e.g. engine noise, motion), and he'll fall asleep when he's supposed to. The past week he's been sleeping through the night 12 hours :D:D:D so I hope he'll keep up his good habits!
    ehLB.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file