Genetic Testing??

CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
I had an appointment today and they were asking me if I wanted to have genetic testing done.

Anyone here have it done? Which one? Anyone regret doing it or not doing it??

Any feedback would be great!

(Neither DH or I have any history of anything really in our families)
3b (I think!)
HGs - Suave Nexxus Knockoff, Jessicurl Weekly DT, L'Oreal Out of Bed, HESMU.
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGlamourGirlie
http://curlyglamourgirlie.blogspot.com

Comments

• SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    I had to have all the AMA (advanced maternal age/over 35) tests, like markers for Downs and so forth. They did offer a test for cystic fibrosis, but we declined as there is not a history of it on either side, and there's no treatment for it if you do know in advance.

You can drive yourself crazy with all the what if's, and there is some risk with some tests.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    I did the nuchal translucency (NT) screening test, and I'm going to do the quad screen a few weeks. The NT was normal and assuming the quad screen comes back nicely then I won't do anymore screening tests. I was offered an amnio because I'll deliver a few weeks after I turn 35, but I'm not going to do one unless the quad screen results indicate that something might be up.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I only did the quad screen.

Have they said what kind of testing they want to do? Amnio, CVS? Or would it be a simple blood test for you?
    :rambo:
  • CurlieGlamourGirlieCurlieGlamourGirlie Registered Users Posts: 1,198
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

Have they said what kind of testing they want to do? Amnio, CVS? Or would it be a simple blood test for you?

They asked me if I wanted to do any of it. They were just offering, not telling me they recommended it.
    3b (I think!)
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

They asked me if I wanted to do any of it. They were just offering, not telling me they recommended it.
    This is what they did to me, as well. I did not do/have anything that I didn't want, even w/ the age thang :roll: [I hate that! lol]

spidey...why did you have to have some testing? They surely weren't gonna make ole Wile E...lol

CGG...we just had ultrasounds & checked everything from there. I think it just makes one worry even more, kwim? g/l in whatever you decide!
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    My OB did a bunch of tests on my blood (since DH and I are both Eastern European Jews and there is a whole set of diseases associated with that) but I was negative for all.

We did the nuchal translucency screening. I opted not to do the Triple/Quad screen because of all the false positives associated with it and because the NT did not indicate any need for it.

I was 33 at the time.

I don't think you HAVE to do any tests at any age. Just that after 35 the policy is to recommend it routinely. But if you don't want to, they can't make you.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    spidey...why did you have to have some testing? They surely weren't gonna make ole Wile E...lol

Mine was just part of the normal screening process. We did all the non-invasive stuff ( sonagrams, blood tests...) I did not do the Amnio.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I didn't have any of those tests done and I wouldn't as it wouldn't change anything. I would still have the baby.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
    Thanks guys!

I think I'm just going to have the regular sono and everything like that. My oncologist voiced no concerns when I told him I was pregnant and there's no history of anything on either side and I'll only be 32 when I deliver, so I think there's no reason to incur any other panic!

So thanks for reassuring me that my gut instinct was right! ;)
    3b (I think!)
  • sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
    We did the Jewish genetic screen (which, luckily for my husband, involved me giving a couple of tubes of blood) and our medical group routinely gives the NT test.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I did an amnio for my over-35 pregnancies. Finding a problem with the genetic tests would have made a difference to me in how I managed the pregnancy, so I opted to have them. Everyone's opinions will be different. There are some genetic abnormalities that can be detected that don't necessarily mean abortion is the only option. Having the information may mean that the woman delivers in a higher-level hospital so there can be immediate sugery or whatever.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    Being over 35 for both my babies, I decided to do the nuchal translucency test. I figured if something didn't look right after that and the level II u/s then I would go for the amnio, but if everything looked normal I'd just leave it at that.

They first offered me the CVS test, but I felt that was just too risky for me. I was only going to be 36, not 46 when I delivered so it just didn't seem worth it for me.

I think I also got tested for cystic fibrosis, and it came back negative.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    CGG - So did you decide not to do the quad screen? They just asked me at my appointment yesterday, and I'm trying to decide. I'm 25, so it seems like the chances of any disorders it would test for are very slim anyway. I'm such a spaz that I worry a false positive would totally freak me out! I wish they never even mentioned it to me, but I know they have to offer it. I feel like now I'm going to be worried whether I do it or not. :?
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't do any tests. I saw no point in taking a test to find an answer for something, when the test is known to give the wrong answer :? What would be the point to that?

Other than the routine blood tests, glucose test, and sonogram - if there was an option, I didn't bother. In fact they practically forced me to have a second sonogram, and I fought it, but they were like 'what's the big deal', so I caved.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    With my first pregnancy, I did the triple screen, but they didn't ask me- they just did it :? . I was 25.

I did not do the quad screen with my 2nd pregnancy. I was 29. I did have a level II ultrasound, but that was due to concerns that she was small- they wanted to rule out IUGR.

If I was to do it again (I'm 32), I would still not do the tests unless something changed and I had more significant risk factors.
    babywavy wrote:
    I didn't do any tests. I saw no point in taking a test to find an answer for something, when the test is known to give the wrong answer :? What would be the point to that?

Other than the routine blood tests, glucose test, and sonogram - if there was an option, I didn't bother. In fact they practically forced me to have a second sonogram, and I fought it, but they were like 'what's the big deal', so I caved.

This was my philosophy too. I've just heard way too many false positive stories.

So I've just had a blood test at the start of the pregnancy and I'll have my level II sono in a few weeks (which I think is just standard at my OB practice). And the glucose test when they give it. Other than that, I saw no positives to the testing. I actually had to sign off that I did not want it.

I actually had a sono last Monday at my OB office since I was getting pain in my lower back (which they now think is a kidney stone!). So I got a sneak peek at the baby, who had "perfect" measurements (quoted from the tech) and who was very active. Got another sneak peek last Thursday when I had my kidney and bladder sono. At that one I saw a perfect view of the face and then a teeny hand raised up as if to say "hi!"

So Bailey - nope, I've had no genetic testing and I really don't regret that decision at all.
    3b (I think!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file