Conditioner Amounts for Wavies

BeachWave91BeachWave91 Posts: 37Registered Users
Hey I'm a newbie at naturally curly but I have a question for you 2C/3A girls. In the CG book, it says that wavies should only add 1/2 teaspoon of conditioner all of their hair after wetting it. If I added that little conditioner, it would be as if I added nothing to my hair at all. How could only 1/2 teaspoon be effective? Prior to starting CG, I used about a palmfull of conditioner each time I got in the shower.

What do you girls do?!?!
2B/3A, curly waves just past my armpits
CG since June 2007!
"Poo": Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Co-Wash: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition
Gel: Giovanni L.A. Natural Styling GelCurl Creme: Jessicurl Confident Coils Styling Solution
Dry Stylers: DevaCurl B'Leave-In/Kinky Curly Curling Custard

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I'm not a wavy, but I think I can say this for all. Your hair isn't a science experiment. Use as much as you want or need! Do what feels right. There's no right or wrong amount.
    3b-3c CG
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Use enough conditioner so that you can run your fingers through your hair without it tangling. Depending on the conditioner, it could be only a quarter size blob, or it could be a couple of palmfuls. The goal is for your hair to feel like slimy seaweed before rinsing most or all of it out.

If you are doing a CO wash, then about a quarter size blob should be enough for just your scalp.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Depending on the conditioner, I use from a dollar-coin puddle to a palmful. My hair needs to be "slimy" enough for my comb to easily slide through, or I'd end up ripping half of my hair out.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    I always assumed the 1/2 tsp was a typo or a joke . . . A half teaspoon would barely condition my bangs.
    I CO wash with one or two palmfuls of VO5, then I start with about a tablespoon of CO as a leave in (depending on what kind I use) and rinse out some of it.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • DitdahDitdah Posts: 151Registered Users
    I'm a 2C/3A gal, pretty "typical" from what I've read here. I CO wash and rinse, then add a few palmfulls of condish, let sit, and rinse. After that I squueze out excess water, then mix about a tablespoon of my VO5 condish with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]. So basically, my leave in connditioner is a tablespoon of conditioner, and my hair is VERY thick, but fairly short (shoulder length when wet, between chin and shoulder when dry.) I hope this helps!
    2B/3A, THICK. CG since 6/5/07
    Alternating Deva LoPoo/VO5 Kiwi Lime, OneC, re:coil, Alagio Curl Cream, LTW, LOOB.
    Always looking to buy/swap for re:coil, Deva Brown stuff
    PW: hair
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    I used as much as it takes to detangle
  • KaterinaKaterina Posts: 117Registered Users
    Hey I'm a newbie at naturally curly but I have a question for you 2C/3A girls. In the CG book, it says that wavies should only add 1/2 teaspoon of conditioner all of their hair after wetting it. If I added that little conditioner, it would be as if I added nothing to my hair at all. How could only 1/2 teaspoon be effective? Prior to starting CG, I used about a palmfull of conditioner each time I got in the shower.

What do you girls do?!?!

I use as much as it takes to get my hair feeling slimy and for it to detangle either with a wide-tooth comb or with my fingers. If it's with the comb, it generally takes less than if I'm using my fingers.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file