Green Eyeliner

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
Have a question...I saw a woman in a magazine wearing green eyeliner. It looked very pretty on her. She also had a pale complexion and red hair similar to mine. My question is is there some type of rule or guideline to go by when picking an eyeliner like that? I have blue eyes, very pale skin and orangish red hair. In the real world can I pull off wearing a color like that without it looking wierd? And with what color eyeshadow, lipstick? I normally wear earth tones (browns, oranges, etc) and haven't worn eyeliner in a very long time but it looked really nice so I was thinking of trying it. Suggestions?
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    hi rednaturalcurls, I just bought a green eyeliner for the first time this past weekend, and I love it! It's a MAC eye kohl, and it's called Tarnish. I also have blue eyes, fair skin (unless it's summer), and a reddish tone to my hair. I was looking at trying a green, but was a bit hesitant until discussing it with a guy who worked at the MAC counter. He was sooo helpful and he didn't hesitate to tell me if he thought something looked 'better' on me. It's a really beautiful green, not a bright green, but more of a darker green with a little bit of sparkle to it. I fell in love with it the minute I tried it. I also bought a green eyeshadow which I had not done before, also MAC, called Greensmoke. I was kind of wanting a lighter teal green, but he really encouraged me to try this green to start with. I've been wearing it in the crease, and I really do like it! He was right on the money with both items! You can make it look softer or darker, depending on what type of brush you use or how much you apply. I was a bit skeptical at first, but I'm really happy with the results. :)
    I wore it with 2 other eyeshadows called 'Honey Lust', and 'Naked Lunch'. In fact, if you click on my hair pictures link below, and then go to the 'hair: part 2' album, scroll down to the pictures dated 10-10-2004, you can get some idea of what the eyeliner looks like. Probably not a good pic of the eyeshadow though, because I only had it in the crease, and they aren't taken too close up. I wouldn't have necessarily worn that lipstick with it on a normal basis, but I bought it at the same time as the eyeliner and eyeshadow on saturday, so I was anxious to try it out. :wink:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Those are good pictures. I think my hair might be a bit more orange than yours (kind of like Reba McEntires current color...a bright orangish red) but I think I could do it. Guess I will make a trip to a makeup counter (not that it's necessarily a bad thing :D )
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • Kurly_NazzyKurly_Nazzy Registered Users Posts: 76
    i have the same mac khol green
    but i've been too chicken to waer it....
    do u war it on top or botton crease?
    very thick brown 3b/3c curls
    ::::::::........
    Kurly_Nazzy, whip that kohl out girl! :cool:cool.gif I used it again today and I am really loving it! I wear it on top and bottom actually, but just on the outer half on the bottom, and usually the same on top (starting a little wider at the upper edge and getting skinnier towards the inner part. does that make sense?).
  • msrandeemsrandee Registered Users Posts: 61
    I've been looking for eye makeup to bring out the green in my hazel eyes - someone (I think on here) recommeneded forest green liner. I'm kind of afraid of that, but I like the color of the MAC liner you guys posted. I am pale-med. skinned with reddish brown hair. I've also heard that purpley colors are good for redheads. I have a shimmery lilac shadow that I love, but it bothers my contact lenses. :cry:
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    What colors do you wear for eyeshadow and lipstick when you use a green eyeliner? That's the part that always stumps me.

On a side note...redheads do well with earth tones, copper colors as well as purple tones. I stick more to the earth tones now (reds, oranges, yellows) since that seems to work best on my skin.
  • Kurly_NazzyKurly_Nazzy Registered Users Posts: 76
    the green i tryed look bad on me it's like this one here
    http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15101&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1454#
    it's called 'minted'
    i makes my eyes look darker and looks bad on my skin. :?
    very thick brown 3b/3c curls
    ::::::::........
    Yeah, I remember seeing that one and thinking it would probably be too 'bright' for me. I want my eyes to stand out, not my eyeliner, which kind of makes me wonder about the lighter eyeliner shades. I think the lighter ones just look a little weird on me.

I would think a creamy or beige color lipstick would like nice with the greener tones, but I just usually use plum or wine tones. I love the MAC amplified lipsticks! I usually stay away from coral or orangish lipsticks though.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    i just bought my first green eyeshadow in about 20 years and got Sumptuous Olive from MAC's Veluxe Pearl line.

i've been wearing it with creamy shades - Orb, Shroom, Brule and Naked Lunch - which is a bit more pink than the others.

greens look nice with purples - i've tried it with Trax but don't have the nerve to wear it out yet even though it looks nice.

i use neutral blush and a neutral/brown lip - Frenzy lipstick, which is one of my favourites.

i have dark red hair and dark brown eyes and pale skin.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    rouquinne wrote:
    greens look nice with purples - i've tried it with Trax but don't have the nerve to wear it out yet even though it looks nice.

Yeah! That's what I wore today: I wore the greensmoke on the whole bottom lid, along with the tarnish eyeliner, and put Trax in the crease. then 'honeylust' swept from the bottom inner lid up to the upper lid. I also wore Bamboo eye paint underneath on the bottom lid, and Still life eye paint underneath on the top. Yesterday I wore Naked Lunch with the greensmoke.

For lipstick to 'match', I wore amplified 'half and half', with some 'spirited' lipglass on top.

This isn't a very good pic, but it's how it looked on me:
    200410148238004600227097.jpg
    that looks really nice!

maybe i'll give it a try this morning, the pink, green and purple look!

but i have to admit that i sometimes think blending a lot of shades looks silly on a woman my age - 44.

:(
    My blog:

Thanks! :)

I gotta say, I don't consider 44 to off limits to wearing different shades at all!!
    My mom is 68, and today I tried putting the 'Canton Candy' eye paint on her, topped off with Little Madame on the lower lid and crease, and followed by 'Naked Lunch' on the upper lid. I realize those aren't very contrasting tones, but they looked really nice on her, not too young for her at all.

I think it has more to do with the shades you are comfortable with or match your skin tones then anything else. I personally am not a fan of brownish tones because they just don't do anything for me. But that's another story. :P

If you like the way they look on you when you try them at home, then I say 'why not?'. :) I really like the MAC salesman I found last week, he was new, and so much more helpful than the girls who usually work there. Once I got past the fact that he looked better in certain lip and eye-shades then I did, I thought he gave great advice, like not just trying to sell me stuff, and telling me what he thought worked and didn't work for me. :D
    today i wore Naked Lunch on the inner third and over the brow bone, Sumptuous Olive everywhere else and Trax in the crease. i lined with Teddy kohl.

i was wearing black from head to toe so i thought it would work.

and i wore Frenzy lippie!

that was pretty daring for me - and to think i get paid for my expertise as a makeup guru! ;)
    My blog:

Sounds like a great combo to me! :D I always love hearing what combos other people wear!
    Btw, do you happen to know if the 'glitter eye liner' is new? I saw a link for it just now (I wanted to see what shade 'Teddy' was), and I don't remember seeing it there 2 nights ago. When I clicked on it, each one had a little asterisk by it saying they weren't avalable yet, so I take it they are so new they haven't been released yet? or?
  • kinkihairkinkihair Registered Users Posts: 54
    Glitter Eye Liner Shade Extensions out October 28th
    lushaholic wrote:
    Sounds like a great combo to me! :D I always love hearing what combos other people wear!
    Btw, do you happen to know if the 'glitter eye liner' is new? I saw a link for it just now (I wanted to see what shade 'Teddy' was), and I don't remember seeing it there 2 nights ago. When I clicked on it, each one had a little asterisk by it saying they weren't avalable yet, so I take it they are so new they haven't been released yet? or?
    nappy haired girls unite!

afro-american 4a/3b
    there are other glitter liners that are out there - for example, the Tantress collection this past summer had 3.

Teddy eye kohl is part of the regular collection.
    My blog:

• cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 636
    from one redhead to another...there is a website for redheads only..they give you tips on makeup colors...etc.....you can do a google search :lol:
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    i know which site you mean, and i've never been fond of their advice. it's almost like they assume that all redheads have pinky white skin tones and blue or green eyes.

my skin is like buttermilk and i have very dark brown eyes.

eastern european AND irish - go figure! :D

besides, this is a case of "makeup writer, heal thyself"!!! ;)
    My blog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file