Any “kinder” highlight products out there?

KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
Hello,

I have had highlights in my hair forever it seems... But since starting CG I am a bit reluctant to have them done.
Anyone knows if there are products that aren't as harsh on the hair? Are there products that just make the whole hair lighter that isn't the normal "bleaching" stuff? (That can be found in the health food/product section or something...)

Thanks,

Jenny

Comments

• LilycurlyLilycurly Registered Users Posts: 55
    Well, usually, if you want higlights that show, you would need some kind of bleach to open up the hair cuticle (?) and strip the natural color. So I guess every lightener is kind of "bad". But my sister has natural light brown hair and she uses some chamomille based product to ligthen her hair a bit, I think you can even do it yourself, but it won't be as noticable as usual highlights...
    Free the Curls!
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    I might look in to that chamomille stuff. My hair is medium to dark blond.
    It might make that little difference that I need.

(<----I have some very grown out highlights on the picture and I colored it dark in the neck last december so the neck looks much darker than I naturally am)

Thanks!

Jenny

• JesseJesse Registered Users Posts: 16
    There is a product called Scruples Blazzing that does exactly what you are looking for. I am going to get highlights with it probably this weekend. I got a strand test with it and m it made my dark brown hair blonde!
    The colorist recommended it for me because it is very gentle. (I am growoing out a relaxer so my hair can't take bleach.)
    Thanks!

I will ask my hairdresser about it. See if she has it.

You're welcome.
    Oh I just thought of one more thing. There is an enzyme based solution that colorist can use instead of mixing the your regular color or bleach with peroxide. The enzymes are obviously much gentler to the hair than peroxide, so that is another option for you as well. (This is avilable at Sally's so maybe it's more likely you girl has it.) Hope this helps! Good luck.
  • witchcurlgirlwitchcurlgirl Registered Users Posts: 55
    just a note to the girl above that is going to use scruples blazing...it's a bleach..if you are growing out a relaxer you may want to stay away from it
    Bra strap length 3b coppery w/gold highlights.
  • DiscgirlDiscgirl Registered Users Posts: 746
    I had some highlights done at Aveda a week ago. My hair doesn't seem any worse for wear and there was none of that funky smell. Supposedly, their permanent color is not as harsh on your hair. The highlights were done as a single process. So, that might have helped things not be so damaging.
    Hi I just wanted to let you know that I got highlights with scruples blazings and I really like it. My hair doesn't seem any worse for the wear and it went from dark brown to blonde.

Thanks to the girl who warned me that it was in fact a bleach. I decided to do it anyway because my pieces that were strand tested were in really good shape after quite a while so I figured I was safe.

My colorist told me that there is some amount of bleach in it but it mainly works with an oil based lightener, so its really gentle.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Jenny, I'm not sure if you'd be interested in doing this, but you could buy one of those highlighting caps, or just pick certain strands and using a paintbrush do it that way, but I have had very good results yet again with the Naturetint natural haircolor. I just used it again today (my roots were ghastly. :oops: ), but I do it all over. It contains no ammonia and very low peroxide. It's all natural and my hair has yet to feel like it's been 'colored' afterwards, in fact it feels nice and soft. I bought it from the health food store. If I were going to do highlights yourself and were afraid of damage, I would probably go with one of their blonde shades and do it the way I said above, or you probably don't even need to mess with one of those caps.

Otherwise, if you're going to have it done at a salon, I would also recommend the Aveda ones, I had it done there once or twice (actually lowlights) and they were brilliant. :) Of course if I could really splurge,I'd have the pintura method done at Devachan. :wink:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    Lushaholic,
    :)
    Yeah.. I am just scared of ruining my hair...so I keep on putting it off. Even though I would like to get some blond in there. I have good old "rat color" going on now it seems.
    I need to wait a while anyways (to get highlights), so I will see if it looks better once I get rid of the old highlights and the read/brown stuff in the back. I was hoping to grow my hair out...but after it gets a certain length the quality gets bad and I end up cutting it off again. About shoulder length. I can probably get rid of most of the red this next time. Hoping to get it cut this week.
    Maybe it will all look better without the color (hoping).
    BUT I will look into the color you use. I didn't know they had blond stuff too???
    Devachan would be the dream.......... But getting a ticket, paying for a hotel room and getting that cut/highlights would be a bit above my budget limit.
    :wink:

• sylviasylvia Registered Users Posts: 41
    lushaholic, does this natural color cover grays and does the blond lighten the hair like the peroxide based colors?? I put color on my roots only about every 4 to 6 weeks, but i go from medium brown with grays to dirty blonde. Thanks
    "blessed" with all kinds of curls,2b in the front, mostly 3a and 3b , 3c in the nape of the neck
    :) ( A mutt?)
    currently using natures gate conditioner and herbal essences mousse and gel.
    On the CG regime since Jan 2004

password: konstanze
  • lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Hi eifelwitch, I've used it to lighten my darker roots, and it definitely lightens. I was also told by the lady at the whole foods store that it covered up both her and her husbands grays too. The first time I used it, I did the root touch-up method, and I didn't need to redo it for almost 2 months. :) I think I have some 'after' pictures of when I used it the first time in my first hair album, linked below.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • missy60missy60 Registered Users Posts: 351
    Do you highlight your hair with this and if so what color do you use my hair is almost exactly the same color as yours and I would love to do it myself

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file