Wedding Question!

untamedcurlzuntamedcurlz Posts: 36Registered Users
Did you use a Wedding Planner/Consultant? If so, how much did they charge (if you don't mind me asking). Also, were they any use at all? Is it worth getting one?
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Did you use a Wedding Planner/Consultant? If so, how much did they charge (if you don't mind me asking). Also, were they any use at all? Is it worth getting one?

My friend who just got married on Aug. 28 (same day as Bounce!) used a wedding planner. She decided to use one because she (the bride) basically had no idea how to go about planning something that big. She also didn't have any ideas for colors or flowers or the cake or the reception or her dress or her bridesmaid's dress or anything. And I mean...NO IDEAS at all. So she got a wedding planner who did the whole thing.

It was through her parents' church so she only paid a couple hundred bucks for the wedding planner. I'm sure in real life it's a heckuva lot more than that!

That particular bride would tell you it was totally worth it. I personally enjoyed planning my first wedding (the "big one") but then I get along great with my mom so I knew there wouldn't be any conflicts. And my 2nd wedding was small, so it was a non-issue.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • naturaltnaturalt Posts: 175Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am planning my own wedding, but I may hire someone just to take care of the details on the day of the wedding. I don't know how much it will be though.
    cloud9.gif
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturalt wrote:
    I am planning my own wedding, but I may hire someone just to take care of the details on the day of the wedding. I don't know how much it will be though.

I haven't been reading all of the threads about weddings, so forgive me if I missed this, but do you have a wedding party - Maid/Matron of Honor? What kinds of details are you concerned about?
    :rambo:
    naturalt wrote:

I haven't been reading all of the threads about weddings, so forgive me if I missed this, but do you have a wedding party - Maid/Matron of Honor? What kinds of details are you concerned about?

I didn't use a wedding planner. My dad knows one, and once we found out how much it was, it was like, FORGET IT! I planned mostly everything myself, with the help of my mom and mother-in-law. It wasn't too bad, and on the day itself my Matron of Honor was there to help. The wedding was at a winery that my step-father-in-law owns, so he and my mother-in-law were pretty much in charge of stuff there...they have done weddings there before, and they knew where to set everything up...hubby was also there helping.

All I did that day was eat breakfast and get ready.
    Mom2LilRob wrote:
    naturalt wrote:

I haven't really been discussing my wedding plans in detail so no worries Mom, you didn't miss it :). We are still going back and forth about this. Sweetie doesn't want a wedding party, while I do want a few close friends and my sister to stand up for me. So, as of right now we don't have an official wedding party. If we did, only one of my ladies lives in the same state as me.

Details I'm concerned with- making sure the decorations are where they need to be and set up how they need to be, making sure the vendors have arrived and have their questions answered and that they get paid, putting out any fires that may pop up, running errands (or sending someone to run errands) as necessary, making sure everyone knows how the ceremony is going to go and what the timeline of the day is etc. I'd rather have someone impartial to the situation taking care of these things.
    cloud9.gif
    naturalt wrote:
    Mom2LilRob wrote:
    naturalt wrote:

I haven't really been discussing my wedding plans in detail so no worries Mom, you didn't miss it :). We are still going back and forth about this. Sweetie doesn't want a wedding party, while I do want a few close friends and my sister to stand up for me. So, as of right now we don't have an official wedding party. If we did, only one of my ladies lives in the same state as me.

Details I'm concerned with- making sure the decorations are where they need to be and set up how they need to be, making sure the vendors have arrived and have their questions answered and that they get paid, putting out any fires that may pop up, running errands (or sending someone to run errands) as necessary, making sure everyone knows how the ceremony is going to go and what the timeline of the day is etc. I'd rather have someone impartial to the situation taking care of these things.

Well, if I had to go back and plan it again, I wouldn't have a large bridal party. We had four bridesmaids, four groomsmen, two flower girls, and one ring bearer. I would have just had ONE bridesmaid/Matron of Honor, although we would have had two groomsmen (my bro and his bro).

I can see how you'd like someone impartial to do the coordinating. At times I do wish that I'd had someone, and not my mother in law. She was more concerned about it being "perfect" and the food and stuff like that. I KNEW that in the end, we were going to be married...regardless of what people ate for dinner.
    I also wish that we would have just gone to Vegas or something...and celebrated when we got back.
  • curlgurl03curlgurl03 Posts: 3Registered Users
    We're not having a consultant, it's just not in our budget. Besides, I'm too much of a control freak - it would never work LOL.

However, if you can afford one, I say do it. From what I've read on theknot.com, every bride that's hired one, were so glad that they did!
    I'm not against eloping, but I am categorically against eloping to Vegas. It's just not me.

Yeah, really I want someone impartial because I want to have control over whatever it is. I don't want a family member just taking over and making decisions and changes based on what they want. I am sure a coordinator could be the same way, but at least I can be mad at them and not have to see them again and also I am paying them, so they should really be doing what I've asked. Man, I sound like a bridezilla, LOL :shock: .
    cloud9.gif
    naturalt wrote:
    I'm not against eloping, but I am categorically against eloping to Vegas. It's just not me.

Yeah, really I want someone impartial because I want to have control over whatever it is. I don't want a family member just taking over and making decisions and changes based on what they want. I am sure a coordinator could be the same way, but at least I can be mad at them and not have to see them again and also I am paying them, so they should really be doing what I've asked. Man, I sound like a bridezilla, LOL :shock: .

Yeah. Vegas wouldn't have been our first choice, either. We are only an hor away from South Lake Tahoe, so we prolly would have gone there.

You SO do NOT sound like a bridezilla! I had/have the same attitude about stuff like that...I am paying them to do that stuff! LOL.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I don't have personal experience, but I can share why one of my friends was thrilled to have a wedding planner! She and her husband met in college, had their wedding at our alma mater, and it was also her dad's alma mater. Because of that, most of the invited guests were going to make it there, so it was going to be a *lot* of people. It was also about a month after she finished her graduate degree, so she didn't have a lot of scheduling time.

The night of the wedding, someone squashed the cake. So the wedding planner arranged for the pre-dinner cocktail hour to be extended 1/2 hour while they scraped the icing off a cake intended to be used the following day and re-decorated it for the correct wedding. There was time to bake a new cake for the other wedding. My friend didn't know about any of this until after the wedding, and said it was worth every cent just so she didn't have to freak out about the cake-she had enough stress dealing with the people around her who thought her wedding was about them specifically, not about her marriage or any of her other friends.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    I did not have a wedding planner but I did have a "coordinator." It was basically just someone from the church who kind of ran the show during the ceremony and reception so I didn't have to. I think we paid her around $150.00. Our wedding was very simple and we had no money or time so I did everything myself. However, if I had been able to go further with the whole thing and I could afford it, I think a wedding planner would have been really nice. Even a small wedding can be really stressful.
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.
  • jfrizzjfrizz Posts: 4Registered Users
    I voted yes. I think it depends on how big the wedding is going to be. LUCKILY, my mother's friend is a wedding cordinator and was willing to help me for cost and a "gift". I told her what I wanted and she made it happen. I was going to do it all on my own, but my mother was way too busy to help and I was so glad to have someone "in her place". I never would have thought that I would need one, but it was a good feeling to not lift a finger on the day of the wedding and be able to arrive at the venue decorated how I dreamed it would be. All I had to do on that day was, have a good time.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    We did, and it was worth the piece of mind for us. We got married in our home town and neither hubby or I lived there at the time. So when we were in town to plan, every moment counted and it was nice to have someone running around doing the leg work for us in the interim. We also had a traditional Indian wedding, and it was nice having someone who knew where to get all the things we needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file