drug store matte eyeshadow recommendations ?

BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
Does anyone know of any sheer, matte eyeshadows that I can buy at a drugstore/mass merchandiser? Most I find have some shimmer to them. I like the Paula's choice shadows, but I don't really want to buy off the internet.

thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Frizz Happens!
my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!

Comments

• cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boy, this is really a problem, as the ones available are tepid, lackluster, low-pigmented colors, IMO. Maybe good on someone with VERY fair skin, but for anyone with any color in their skin at all, drugstore matte-finish eyeshadows tend to lack pigment, and not last very long at all on the skin. The thing is that they LOOK OK in the container, but go on much sheerer and lighter than they look, often looking kind of chalky to boot. Plus, the sparkly drugstore eyeshadows are to be avoided, pretty much as the iridescent particles are larger than what are found in better lines of shadows, with few exceptions(Milani and some Isadora eyeshadows). Better instead to to just pick a couple of colors that you really wear all the time, and go with better quality, as you'll have more pigment and the product will last longer on your skin.
    For myself, my next eye makeup purchase for my daily colors are MAC Nylon(a shimmery pale yellow, for light shadow), and their Soft Brown(a lovely, matte peachy terracotta brown for contouring in the crease, that I have not been able to find a dupe of at the drugstore level, even in a bronzer)Hope this helps! Another MAC shadow I'm getting as a defining/smudging agent for eyeliner is their "Shadowy Lady" a beautiful matte, deep, inky blue-violet.
    Jeez, I wish this stuff was available in the drugstore at drugstore prices!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    what about Milani? their shadows are dupes of MAC shades.

and translucent powder dusted over any of them would sheer them up...
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    thanks. I will check out the Milani and the Isadora. I was just hoping maybe there was something out there. For the most part, I've always been pleased with drugstore-quality products, especially lines like Loreal & Revlon, but with the eye shadows, they always put in sparklies, it seems.

For as long as eyeshadows last me, I probably ought to just buy something nicer. Can you get MAC at a Sephora or Ulta?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Brio!

I don't think the MAC brand is sold at Sephora, but there are lots of good lines there. But you could go to www.maccosmetics.com if there's no MAC store in your area. Sometimes a department store, like Macy's or Bloomingdale's or certain Dillards, will have a MAC area.
    From what I've seen of the Milani eyeshadows, while there are some gorgeous colors, most are shimmery, with few exceptions. They need to add more matte shades that are richly-pigmented.
    What I wish is for L'Oreal and Revlon(esp. Revlon) to really update their colors to compete with higher-end lines. The L'Oreal HIP line is pretty pigmented though and more fashion-forward, but again, that line could use more matte shades, as most are shimmery - too bad! So many of the Revlon colors are just - eh. And more made for people with pinker skintones too, despite Halle Berry being in the ads in magazines.
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Brio, MAC is available at Belk's Department Stores in North Carolina and Nordstrom's in Raleigh-Durham.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote:
    Brio, MAC is available at Belk's Department Stores in North Carolina and Nordstrom's in Raleigh-Durham.

I have a Belk here; it's not a large one, though. I'll check it out. thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file