My Coloring Dilemma

CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Registered Users Posts: 758
To make a very long story short: I'm allergic to P-Phenylenediamine (PPD)
Which is in all permanent dyes. So, I've resigned myself to the fact that I must use Semi-permanent. I've tried Demi... I still have a reaction. (EXTREMELY itchy head.. and I mean EXTREMELY)
My entire head has gray hair. Salt and Pepper is what you would call it. So, not coloring my hair is NOT an option!
In the meanwhile.. I'm trying to grow my curly hair out. I've kept it very short forever and I'm tried of it. It's been so long since I've had any hair past my ears I don't know if I'm a Corkscrew or just Wavy.
Anyway.. My question is .. I also want to try going CG but I understand that you must rinse your hair every day and use CO. Seeing that semi only lasts for about 15 min. :shock: (I'm reallllly looking forward to coloring my hair every 10 days!!! Grrrrr!) Wouldn't rinsing my hair even with water lessen the length of time it lasts? Am I making any sense?
Right now, I'm washing my hair w/ shampoo followed by CO every other day. On the off day I use a shower cap and don't get it wet at all. Doing the CG method.. I'll be getting my hair wet everyday.. does that effect the color? Or is it the nasty shampoo that does that dirty deed?
Any suggestions would be helpful!!!

Anyone else allergic to PPD? I feel like I'm the only one in the entire world that is. :(

3a/3b

Latest routine:
Sauve Coconut CO
Or
Trader Joe's Nourish
Giovanni 50/50
Giovanni Direct Leave In
JoicoWhip
Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

• cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    Which demi-permanent brands have you tried?
    I wouldn't go with the semi-permanents if I were you, because with this much grey in the hair they really don't do the job for more than a week or so, if that, on account of the coverage issue. You shouldn't have to color your hair every 10 days! Many people here like the Robert Craig as it is gentle. I don't know if it has the PPD though. On the RC site, I think you can contact them for info and a consultation as to what color would be good for you. Tell them your situation.
    Or, you could go to good colorist and tell them and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Hope this helps!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Robert Craig lists ingredients right on their shopping site.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Registered Users Posts: 758
    I went on the RC website and found this in the FAQ section:

I am allergic to phenylenediamine. Your product has it listed as a sulfate of p-phenylenediamine. (p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate) Would I still be allergic to this product?

You may be allergic to Color by Robert Craig. As a precaution we always recommend doing an allergy test following the directions on the instruction sheet included with the product. If you have had any negative reaction to any other hair dye then you should not use any color.

I went to Sally's the other day and they recommended the "Ion" semi permanent brand. I may give that a try. I'm sure I'm not going to have an reaction.. it just won't last that long. :(

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list