Rozerem or Lunesta? Sleep Problems

ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
I have problems staying asleep, not falling asleep. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he gave me samples of both Rozerem and Lunesta. He wanted me to try the Rozerem first. The first night I woke up several times but did go right back to sleep. The second night I only woke up a couple of times and went back to sleep easily.

Last night I tried the Lunesta, woke up a couple of times and went back to sleep easily.

I'm wondering if I should be giving the Rozerem more of a chance, I have six more pills. I also have several more of the Lunesta. Has anyone else used either of these and if so did you sleep through the night the first time? The fact that I woke up several times the first night with Rozerem makes me wary of going back to that. But I want to fall asleep and stay asleep, not even getting up to pee, (at least not every night).

Comments

• MaloryMalory Registered Users Posts: 379 Curl Neophyte
    I'm 41 years old and I don't think I've ever slept through the whole night in my life.

Maybe you just don't need as much sleep.

Have you tried going to bed later?

If you wake up during the night, why not try reading a book or watching TV instead of worrying about being woken up.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I need a lot of sleep. I get headaches and cranky when I don't get enough. I was so tired yesterday from not getting enough sleep this week that I left work early.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I'm sorry you're having sleep problems. :( (((HUGS)))
    I go thru the same thing & I can't take sleep aids becuz of my RLS. It sounds like you should give the Rozerem more time to work. Your body probably needs time to adjust. If you find after using up all your sample pills that you aren't satisfied with the results then you could then give the Lunesta a try. That's probably what your doctor had in mind.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I discussed sleep aids with my doctor and she said that in spite of all the marketing (and the cute commercials) for Rozerem and Lunesta, she feels that Ambien or Ambien CR are just as effective and may potentially have fewer side effects. I've used Ambien CR and it seems to work for me. I'm nervous about prescription sleep aids and I don't use them more often than once a week.
    g-stringranny - I intended to use the Rozerem again, but because of that first night where I woke several times I just can't get myself to do it. I am still using the Lunesta. Last night I used the stronger of the 2 dosages he gave me and slept well. ETA: I feel for you having RLS and not being able to use sleep aids. What a bummer.

Suzen - I forgot about Ambien. I had actuall wanted to try the CR. I think I'll call about that when I am almost out of the samples.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Waking up during the night is a big problem for me, since menopause hit. An earlier thread suggested a couple of non-prescription remedies that I have found useful.

One is "Calms Forte," a homeopathic remedy that can be found in most drugstores and is not expensive. I use it if I wake up and it seems to help me get back to sleep. It doesn't make me groggy so I can take it any time of night.

I've also used Bach's Flower Remedy "Rescue Sleep." This is a combination of plant extracts that you use by spraying a couple squirts under the tongue. A big advantage is you don't need to get out of bed to get some water to swallow a tablet. Like the Calms Forte, it doesn't make me groggy.

I'm normally not one to put much faith in homeopathy or extracts, but these actually seem to work for me.

Other things that help me are having some dairy before bed, and doing certain yoga postures.
    I actually have both of those products and was taking the Calms Forte every night along with 1/2 of a Unisom tablet. It does help, but it's not enough on it's own. I don't think the Rescue Remedy helps me at all. I took a Calms with the Lunesta last night. Maybe that is why I slept pretty well.
  • extremecurlextremecurl Registered Users Posts: 13
    I have lifelong, intense insomnia and have tried quite a few of the products that are out there, so I sympathize.

Rozerem didn't work at all for me. I took it five nights in a row, and all five nights I was up until 4 or 5 in the a.m. Obviously, it must work for some people or it wouldn't stay on the market no matter how aggressive their advertising is, but perhaps it only works for certain kinds of sleep problems. It's chemically very different from Ambien and Lunesta, so it makes sense that one may work for you but not the other.

A word of warning: a few months ago my usual digestive problems suddenly intensified. I had stomach acid almost all the time, a lot of IBS and diarrhea and felt nauseus. The doctor gave me a prescription for a strong stomach medicine but when I looked it up it looked too scary, so I didn't get the prescription filled. After about a week, I realized that the symptoms had started when I started taking a new prescription for Ambien CR, which I was trying in place of Lunesta. Apparently my system couldn't handle the extended release. I stopped taking it and although I hardly slept at all I felt a lot better the next day. I had some problems getting more Lunesta through my presciption mail service, so I got very little sleep for about 2 weeks, but my digestive track hadn't felt that good in a long time. I then realized how much those drugs had been playing havoc with my system for years.

Now, of course most people don't have that reaction at all, but I guess my unusally intense experience has made me very cautious. If you have any symptoms you didn't have before starting a new drug, especially a sleep drug, consider that a possible culprit. I now cut Lunesta in half so I'm not taking as much. I'm hoping to try CBT (cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to try to get off the heavy duty drugs altogether. I guess the words of warning here is just to be careful and alert for any possible side effects, even if they're not the standard ones.

End of rant.
    My stomach has been feeling full more than usual lately and I was wondering if the Lunesta might have something to do with it. It's not bothersome enough to keep me from taking it though. I also have been eating a LOT of junk food so that might be it rather than the Lunesta.
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Registered Users Posts: 780 Curl Connoisseur
    I always chime in when I see threads about sleep....just watch out for Ambien.

I used it a few years ago long-term and had a heck of a time when I quit taking it. (I quit because it was no longer helping me to sleep). I went through awful withdrawl that lasted a long time-months. Among the worst of the withdrawl side effects was not sleeping for more than an hour a night for two weeks straight!

I'll be 44 soon and I never have trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep. This has been happening since I was 37. I've tried most all of the OTC sleep remedies and none of them work for me for more than a few nights.

Luckily, as my periods get more and more goofy, nights when I sleep through the entire night are increasing.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I've had lifelong insomnia, but I refuse to take drugs. I just don't want to feel drugged or be a slave to the pharmacy. On nights when I'm having particular trouble, I'll take a couple of valerian capsules (natural and very mild muscle relaxer). It works great and I sleep all night. Maybe it's just a placaebo effect, but it works for me and I don't feel drugged.

Also, keeping the room cool really helps. I can't sleep if I'm hot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file